Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
tdreili2020

Polar Package "Extended Season" vs. "All Season"

Anyone know the difference between the Polar Package sticker that says "extended season" versus what's on the website for "all season"?

The reason for my question is we purchased a 2021 Avalanche 378BH less than a week ago for winter RV camping in the Colorado. The water lines on the 378BH from in the kitchen and rear of the RV froze on the first night with outdoor temperatures of ~18 degree F, which is well above -4 degrees F which the Polar Package is guaranteed for.

When I was dumping my tanks yesterday, I noticed a whole in the drop frame and you can see the red and blue water lines. This could be the reason the water lines froze. If the underbelly is heated, wouldn't all the warm air exit any holes in the drop frame?

I hope I'm wrong, but my bigger concern is there might be an "extended season" Polar Package that has significantly less features and cold weather protection than the "all season" Polar Package that's on Keystone's website.

Any comments or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water lines.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	30837  
tdreili2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
travelin texans

There's probably not a nickels worth of difference between the 2 just different names. Which by the way is exactly that, just a gimmicky name to sell RVs.
They will have the underbelly covered with either Coroplast (plastic cardboard) or Darco (black tarp like fabric) with a layer of Reflectix (shiny bubble wrap) above that & most likely a 2" heater duct blowing into there, if you payed extra for the option it may have tank heaters. You must run the furnace for the underbelly to be heated, which will require LOTS of propane when being used in the temps you mentioned.
That's the extent of your "Polar" "4 season" package.
Don't plan to use in anywhere near -4 temps without further plans to protect from freezing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

You have likely already figured out, the marketing people at Keystone are sometimes a bit enthusiastic in their claims. Polar Package, Half Ton Towable, Residential Plumbing Fixtures, etc etc. All are a bit out of touch with reality. You would do well to figure out some way of skirting your camper if you are going to camping in really cold weather. Hay is likely the cheapest and might be useful if you don't intend on moving much. Most anything to cut the wind. There is a company that makes very expensive air pillows to blocking the wind: https://www.airskirts.com
You will also need to figure out how keep your water hose from freezing and heated water hoses are out there. I don't camp in those temps so am not the best expert on cold weather camping but I am sure others will chime in. The only alternative is to move out of that cold hell to a warmer and more civilized part of the world bhwhahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
travelin texans

Don't use hay bales! That's like putting the "VACANCY" sign out on the critter hotel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdreili2020 View Post
Anyone know the difference between the Polar Package sticker that says "extended season" versus what's on the website for "all season"?

The reason for my question is we purchased a 2021 Avalanche 378BH less than a week ago for winter RV camping in the Colorado. The water lines on the 378BH from in the kitchen and rear of the RV froze on the first night with outdoor temperatures of ~18 degree F, which is well above -4 degrees F which the Polar Package is guaranteed for.

When I was dumping my tanks yesterday, I noticed a whole in the drop frame and you can see the red and blue water lines. This could be the reason the water lines froze. If the underbelly is heated, wouldn't all the warm air exit any holes in the drop frame?

I hope I'm wrong, but my bigger concern is there might be an "extended season" Polar Package that has significantly less features and cold weather protection than the "all season" Polar Package that's on Keystone's website.

Any comments or suggestions?
If you have a residential fridge... turn off the water line to the icemaker and drain that line... low point drain is most likely under the entry steps..

Tank heaters (blankets) is the only difference.. You need to get a couple cans of spray foam insulation and fill any opening well.. That's one thing my dealer is very good at.. he checks and fills all those holes before the PDI..

Then you MUST run the propane heater, it is the only source of heat for the stuff under the floor.. It don't matter how warm you is, it's about keeping the water lines all toasty..