Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
wradar

Question Roof Repair Questions

Our 2015 Keystone trailer has a soft spot in the corner, which I suspect was due to a gap in the self-leveling sealant on the corner trim. We temporarily fixed it by applying more sealant, but now it's time to fix the underlying wood damage. My plan is to only replace the damaged area of wood, and to reuse the existing EPDM.

After reviewing lots of how-tos and YouTube videos online, I'm going to tackle it myself. More questions will likely arise, but I'm starting off with just two:

1) After you're done installing the new wood, you're supposed to glue the EPDM to the wood. I've seen both roof-specific adhesive used, as well as ordinary contact cement. Does it matter which?

2) If the factory installed the EPDM by gluing it to the wood, how do I remove the EPDM from the damaged wood? Just peel gently?

Thanks!
-Will
wradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:01 AM   #2
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wradar View Post
Our 2015 Keystone trailer has a soft spot in the corner, which I suspect was due to a gap in the self-leveling sealant on the corner trim. We temporarily fixed it by applying more sealant, but now it's time to fix the underlying wood damage. My plan is to only replace the damaged area of wood, and to reuse the existing EPDM.

After reviewing lots of how-tos and YouTube videos online, I'm going to tackle it myself. More questions will likely arise, but I'm starting off with just two:

1) After you're done installing the new wood, you're supposed to glue the EPDM to the wood. I've seen both roof-specific adhesive used, as well as ordinary contact cement. Does it matter which?

2) If the factory installed the EPDM by gluing it to the wood, how do I remove the EPDM from the damaged wood? Just peel gently?

Thanks!

-Will
I just rebuilt my slide room and the EDPM wasn't glued down. The main roof is a different story and I believe contact cement could work, but remember when it contacts your done, so you may be better with using a product that will give you some working time. If it's just a corner probably no problem. As far as the roof over the soft spot goes I would bet you could clean it off carefully and glue back down.

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:27 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

There is specific adhesives for the roof membrane. Depending on what the roof deck material is, you may end up with lots of splinters stuck to the membrane. Be prepared to peel off lots of splinters, and when you glue it back down watch the corners. We often times cut the membrane and replace it using a transition strip at the seam, covered with Dicor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, roof repair