Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Pete C

Battery Power Shut Down

Hello All,

I have a 2017 Alpine 3900re that has two slides in the living area. When moving the slide with battery power only the voltage drops steadily until the
in-command system shuts down and then has to re-boot, voltage starts at 13.7 and the system shuts down around 11.8 to 12.4. I thought maybe my batteries were getting old so I just installed two new high end deep cycle batteries and still have the same problem.
My question is could the Hydraulic pump be drawing to many amps or some other problem??

Thanks for any help with this, Pete
Pete C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Gary R.

Hello Pete and welcome to the forum!

Have you tried operating the slides while the external power is connected?

It may be the batteries, even though you installed new ones, may not be fully charged, and the RV's battery charger only operates when you are connected to external power.

I'm sure you'll hear from other folks too, so don't despair!

Cheers!

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

To go a step further from Gary R's advice, This is the "beginning of the camping season" (also the end of the storage season) so battery terminal/electrical connector corrosion are also a significant potential "bad spot" after sitting dormant all winter.

Check your battery cables for corrosion in the connectors AND in the crimps (under the heavy plastic wrapping), make sure they are connected securely at the "mini-breaker posts" and that all the fuse holders are "dry, clean and not corroded on the fuse legs"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
Pete C

Yes everything works great when connected to 50amp service
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

That tells me the hydraulic pump and the converter to pump wiring are working without problems. The "problem" is in the battery side... Somewhere, from the batteries, through the mini-breakers, to the hydraulic pump, there is a loose/corroded connection. From the place where the converter ties into the system, it's good, so the issue is from the batteries to that place....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
Pete C

Would you know where I would find the converter?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Logan X

The converter is usually behind the power distribution panel. I would start at the batteries and check every connection, (follow the wires from the batteries), especially the ground wire. Check all of the connections for tightness and corrosion.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
bobbecky

This really sounds like the problem with the Lippert hydraulic system where the trailer manufacturer uses a 50 amp auto reset breaker on the circuit going to the hydraulic pump when Lippert recommends an 80 amp breaker. I replaced our breaker years ago and have had zero issues since. Your rig is new enough that it will have wiring large enough to handle the larger breaker and once it’s been replaced, you will likely have no more problems. Look this up on Amazon, and it shows less than $30 for the breaker. Bussmann (BP/CB185-80) 80 Amp Circuit Breaker
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
Big 417

Another thing to check is the battery disconnect switch, if you have one. Mine crapped out and wouldn't let more than a trickle of power thru. Almost like the connections got corrosion or arching on them. Replaced the disconnect switch with a higher end unit and all is well
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #10
Pete C

Thanks I'll try it. I have tried everything else and no luck resolving the problem
Old 04-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Have you followed the wires from the battery to the slide motor? Including the grounds? The earlier discussion on corrosion is relevant because corrosion creates resistance which increases the amperage draw. I suggest this web site for reading: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...stance-relate/
The wires from the battery often travel along or under the trailer frame where they may be connected to the auto resetting fuses.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #12
Pete C

Hi Everyone that helped me trouble shoot this problem. After trying my best to fix the problem I took it to a RV repair shop. The problem was the control panel and the Hydraulic pump were on the same 50 amp breaker located in the battery compartment. They put the pump on its own 50 amp breaker and everything is working great!! Best part they were able to trouble shoot and fix it with only one hour labor.

Thanks again, I love this forum

Tags
battery, power