Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
Twisties

Cold Weather?

Well, we're still on the steep part of the learning curve. Still have our temp tag and waiting for the permanent plates... :-) We've been in it about 6 weeks in conditions ranging from wet with mild temps in Brookings to now dry and relatively warm in Sierra Vista, AZ. Our journey has included some full hookups, some dry camps, and some sites with water and dump stations on site. So far we've only had one mild frost and one other night that came close to a frost.

But, we are planning to be moving towards northern New Mexico and maybe Southern Colorado and might see nights down to 20 degrees F and days which are not so warm, either.

Trying to figure out what we need to do to be ready. Cougar says we are 0 degree F rated, but I am thinking if we are on City Water our water hose could freeze. I guess you bring it in at night? If we are on city water we probably have shore power and can run the heat pretty hard. If we are boondocking we won't have enough battery to run the heat hard all night. I'm thinking I can leave a generator running overnight to solve that issue.

What else do I need to know or think about?
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
gearhead

Fill the freshwater tank and use the pump. Put a couple of lights, old fashioned "trouble lights", in the storage bay. Get a couple of small electric heaters with thermostats and try to strike a balance between running them and the furnace for comfort. You will need to run the furnace enough to throw some heat around the dump valves and tanks.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Fill the freshwater tank and use the pump. Put a couple of lights, old fashioned "trouble lights", in the storage bay. Get a couple of small electric heaters with thermostats and try to strike a balance between running them and the furnace for comfort. You will need to run the furnace enough to throw some heat around the dump valves and tanks.
Oh yeah, and I guess I need to remember to turn on those tank heater pads that I've never used yet...
Old 01-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

If you're going into some very cold Temps be cognizant that your propane usage will increase exponentially. If you're going to be a far drive to get the tanks refilled you might want to consider buying a "spare" tank.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Also remember that those "tank heater pads you've never used" are power hungry beasts.... If they are 12 VDC pads, DON'T USE THEM WHEN TOWING (the charge line from your tow vehicle can't keep up) and DON'T USE THEM WHEN DRY CAMPING. They will deplete your battery in about an hour or so, leaving you cold, shivering and angry long before the sun comes up.... If they are 120 VAC, then they will only operate when connected to shore power or a generator, so they won't protect you without being connected to some source of shore power.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #6
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Also remember that those "tank heater pads you've never used" are power hungry beasts.... If they are 12 VDC pads, DON'T USE THEM WHEN TOWING (the charge line from your tow vehicle can't keep up) and DON'T USE THEM WHEN DRY CAMPING. They will deplete your battery in about an hour or so, leaving you cold, shivering and angry long before the sun comes up.... If they are 120 VAC, then they will only operate when connected to shore power or a generator, so they won't protect you without being connected to some source of shore power.
They are 12V. If my generator is running won't it keep the batteries charged? Is one 1600W generator enough to run the heating pads and the furnace fan?

I have rooftop solar that would be helping the batteries out when I'm towing... but I agree, the tanks aren't gonna freeze up real fast.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
They are 12V. If my generator is running won't it keep the batteries charged? Is one 1600W generator enough to run the heating pads and the furnace fan?

I have rooftop solar that would be helping the batteries out when I'm towing... but I agree, the tanks aren't gonna freeze up real fast.
Yes, a 1600 watt generator will (in almost all situations) run your furnace, the heating pads and keep your batteries charged. The problem is the "skinny charge line from the vehicle alternator" which can only provide about 4-6 amps to the trailer charge system. When the tank heater pads are drawing 15 amps each, well you can do the math, 100 amp hour battery, 5 amps in and 30 amps out.... Batteries won't last long while towing.

Not related to your situation, but that problem is also the "killer" with 12 VDC refrigerators in trailers. The trailer battery can keep up while towing (barely) but stop for lunch, forget that the refrigerator is running and you can completely discharge your trailer battery while you're in McD's eating a Big Mac, fries and a shake... Forget the apple pie or ice cream, you won't have time to eat it anyway LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
travelin texans

Also don't put much stock in the "0 degrees rated" sales gimmick.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:49 AM   #9
gearhead

...and be sure you have something in the tanks; don't turn the heater pads on an empty tank.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
Camp CA

Agree with the recommendations above and would like to add you can purchase an electrically-heated water supply hose like the one in the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TASTEPu.../dp/B01ABONB0A

Years ago I fabricated my own electrically-traced and insulated potable supply hose (before you could buy these heated hose) when I camped in my fifth wheel in South Lake Tahoe, CA over a couple of winters. The key was to keep the fifth wheel warm, turn on the tank heaters and have heated water supply piping at the hose connection.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #11
Twisties

We moved up to Silver City, NM elevation around 6000' last night. This week we have a full hook-up at Rose Valley RV Ranch. Nice place. I was checking the weather and found they have a station on Weather Underground. It got down to 24 F last night and we did fine without running the heating pads. About 8 hours below freezing. That's encouraging. I'm glad I'll have a week with services and hook up to get used to how the trailer behaves and how much propane we are going through. We did as suggested and filled the fresh tank on arrival, ran off pump overnight.

Assuming no serious winter storm moves in, next stop in a week or so is likely going to be boondocking at Bisti Wilderness for three-four days. Temps should be very similar to what we have here. I changed the oil in both generators and will stock up on fuel before we go...

Looking forward to exploring Bisti, Ah Shi Sle Pah and Chaco with my camera.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
Well, we're still on the steep part of the learning curve. Still have our temp tag and waiting for the permanent plates... :-) We've been in it about 6 weeks in conditions ranging from wet with mild temps in Brookings to now dry and relatively warm in Sierra Vista, AZ. Our journey has included some full hookups, some dry camps, and some sites with water and dump stations on site. So far we've only had one mild frost and one other night that came close to a frost.

But, we are planning to be moving towards northern New Mexico and maybe Southern Colorado and might see nights down to 20 degrees F and days which are not so warm, either.

Trying to figure out what we need to do to be ready. Cougar says we are 0 degree F rated, but I am thinking if we are on City Water our water hose could freeze. I guess you bring it in at night? If we are on city water we probably have shore power and can run the heat pretty hard. If we are boondocking we won't have enough battery to run the heat hard all night. I'm thinking I can leave a generator running overnight to solve that issue.

What else do I need to know or think about?
Heated water hose. Old style 75 watt incandescent light in the water service area if you have one on a thermostatic outlet. Extra 1500/750watt heater in the basement on a thermostat. Another 2 75 watt lights in the front compartment where the batteries are on a thermostatic outlet.

Of course tank heaters are on, propane furnace is on below 5C/41F to blow hot air into basement.

On Vancouver Island now for 3 winters. Lowest temp was maybe -10C/14F
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #13
Twisties

Well, we survived Silver City with a low of 16 F. Never ran the tank heaters, kept the space heater on and set the furnace thermostat to 66 F at night, 72 F morning and evening. Fridge and hot water on electric. Propane would last at least 2 weeks under those conditions.

Then 3 days boondocking at Bisti. Low was probably around 20 F,, but who knows. Ran 1600W Generator from about 6 pm to 9 am, as we didn't think we had enough battery capacity for the furnace to run hard all night. Hot water mostly off, fridge running on propane. Used a 7G propane tank in 2 nights, and last night was warmer and tank 2 is still heavy. Used about 1.5G gasoline a night in the generator. Genny ran very rich at nearly 6k', but was capable of running the microwave, vacuum, heater fan, and CPAP. Just made sure the heater was off and other stuff unplugged before using the microwave or vacuum.

Definitely can go 4 nights if desired.