Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #21
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
"Don't forget to consider weight, especially if you have gas or spring loaded "helpers" to access any underbed storage areas.... __________________
John"

Boy was John right about that. Too bad I read his post AFTER I made the change. So on our TT there is no "helper" to access the underside of the mattress storage. Soooo I built a stick with a notch on it and when I would raise the mattress/board up it would slip into place and all was well.
But I forgot the new replacement mattress is thicker and HEAVIER. So first time I tried that the stick came crashing through the side of the bed frame, conveniently made of micro-thin plywood.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Still LOL! The moderators should get together and write a book. It would be a bestseller!
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As John noted you need to measure the mattress simply because the RV world seemingly dreams up "new sized" of mattresses on a whim.

We've got members that have had custom foam mattresses made, sleep by number and any number of other things based on just how creative you get and what you want in a mattress. A search would bring up lots of different solutions. Some like toppers; we don't.

If you have struts to support your current mattress keep that in mind when looking for a new one because the struts are designed to support a specific weight. If you overload it they won't hold it up or you will have to replace them. Most have the rating stamped/printed on the side.

Our mattress was a normal residential queen (measured) on this trailer so mattress replacement was a breeze. Weight was a consideration and I was willing to replace the struts but happened to find a really nice mattress that sleeps wonderfully and the struts still work (not as well as before but they work). Others before had oddball sizes, cut corners etc. Now THEY were fun to deal with.
Our original mattress was circa 2002. It was probably 3 inches thick when manufactured but in the course of the years had gotten flattened out. It was the RV queen length. It got tossed prior to ever sleeping in our trailer. Went to Billy Bob's Beds in San Antonio and picked up a residential queen mattress that is identical to the king in our bedroom. It is approximately 14-15 inches thick pillow top. It sleeps good. The extra 6 inches? You have to be kind of agile to hop on and I put a 3' x 5' 1/4" plywood under the end that hangs over so when you slide off the end, you don't hit the floor. We no longer have underbed storage as I am not strong enough to lift the bed much less worry about the struts. I can also sleep comfortably with a bed that is much the same feel as the one in the hacienda.

Oh yeah, never extend the struts all the way UP to get under the bed as they CAN get stuck like that for some reason. I did this in my Sunnybrook pull trailer and ended up having to do a flying jump onto the mattress to get it to lay back down.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #23
Laredo Tugger

Hey George,
Did the judges give you a score on that dive?
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #24
ttutland2345

I’ve found my mattress isn’t so bad after a nice helping of grandpa’s cough syrup 😂
ttutland2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #25
Reddog222

I replaced the mattress that came with the 5 er with a sleep number queen. The dw likes a less firm mattress than I do. There are two separate mattress and each side can be inflated to the firmness that is desired. This mattress is very light and makes it easy to change the sheets.
Andersen Hitch
Reddog222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #26
Frosty46

WE have done many RV upgrades on our various rigs over the years and beds are first on the list for us. We also have learned that home furniture works well in place of some of the odd fixtures incorporated in today's offerings. WE over came our aversion to that deaded malady,," I own an RV so will take most anything to camp" syndrome.
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #27
duh1

That was the first thing we did with all the mattresses. Foam pad and toppers made a big difference
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:13 AM   #28
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One "consistent rule" about RV mattresses is that "They are never consistent"... There are two "most popular" sizes of queen mattresses in RV's. They are "home size 60x80" and "RV size 60x72-74-75". Then there's RV queen size mattresses with "curved ends" some with "curved on one side only" and now the move to "RV King Size beds"... Really? Are they California King, Standard King, RV king or some other "king size" ???

With all the "consistently inconsistent sizes" your only means to know is to measure your mattress, Length, Width AND Thickness. Don't forget to consider weight, especially if you have gas or spring loaded "helpers" to access any underbed storage areas....
Ours came with a pretty good RV king. A topper did the trick for sleeping. The problem was no room to get around the bed to make it and the mattress overhang at the end so you slide off when you sit on it.
So we moved to a residential queen. Got a mattress in a box from Nectar. Replaced the section of the base that lifts so it extends to the length of the mattress. Now all is well.

Almost. offered the old mattress to our daughter who's king mattress is old and sagging. Turns out she has a California king. They are 72X85. Regular king is 75X80. Our rv king was 72X80. ??? what's with that.

So now we're at a campground in Charleston with an RV king mattress tied down to the tv trying to get rig of it. Goodwill won't take mattresses, neither will Habitat for Humanity. RV trash p/u won't either. Finally located the local landfill near the park and dropped it off there. Luckily they didn't require me to be a local resident.

Much ado, but it's not about nothing. A good sleep is worth the effort.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:03 AM   #29
German Shepherd Guy

jimborokz wrote:
"So now we're at a campground in Charleston with an RV king mattress tied down to the tv trying to get rig of it. Goodwill won't take mattresses, neither will Habitat for Humanity. RV trash p/u won't either. Finally located the local landfill near the park and dropped it off there. Luckily they didn't require me to be a local resident."

My basement is full of old mattresses. The downstairs bed looks like the princess and the pea. Truly hard to get rid of once they wear out. Have a new mattress in-a-box sitting upstairs right now and am wondering what to do with the old one as my basement is full.
At least you no longer look like the Beverly Hillbilly's as you drive around the TV.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

I've had similar "problems" with getting rid of mattresses, old TV's, tires, old doors and even old window air conditioners. The "land fill" wants us to pay to dispose of them. So, being "CHEAP" I devised a foolproof method to get rid of all my "disposable stuff"... CRAIGS LIST....

Now, I put a photo of the item and post it on Craig's List with the title, "FREE to the first person with a truck large enough to haul it off".... Most is gone within 6 hours of posting, All is gone within 2 days of posting.... And, my money stays in my wallet.....

Of course, we live in an area where we don't get "riff-raff" using CL as a means to case people's houses, so we aren't exposed to that danger. However, everything I "give away" is outside, so nobody has access to the house or even to the garage. A bit of "caution" (or common sense) goes a long way......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Or list in on CL for a small fee (say$10) and post "will be at the end of the driveway at XX address. Someone will steal it immediately.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:07 AM   #32
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
jimborokz wrote:
"So now we're at a campground in Charleston with an RV king mattress tied down to the tv trying to get rig of it. Goodwill won't take mattresses, neither will Habitat for Humanity. RV trash p/u won't either. Finally located the local landfill near the park and dropped it off there. Luckily they didn't require me to be a local resident."

My basement is full of old mattresses. The downstairs bed looks like the princess and the pea. Truly hard to get rid of once they wear out. Have a new mattress in-a-box sitting upstairs right now and am wondering what to do with the old one as my basement is full.
At least you no longer look like the Beverly Hillbilly's as you drive around the TV.
Good heavens you just described my basement. Have you been to my house? Had to laugh as just last month I was thinking of the Princess and the pea. and the Beverly Hillbilly fit to a tee. I may try the Craig's list approach.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade