Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
renemuniz58

Battery Disconnect Avalanche 386bg

Hello and greetings from Columbia, SC.

I am a new owner of an Avalanche 386bg TH. During my inspection and orientation, i asked the technician about the battery disconnect switches and whether i can use them when i am away from my TH for any length of time. He said "Yes".

i used that option and it was about 4 weeks since i could return to my TH, engaged both switches back to the "On" position but had no juice. I do not intentionally want to damage the batteries. I connected my genny and waited a few minutes before i engaged my main circuits breakers, opened the slides, and powered everything up.

Hopefully someone can tell me if i am wrong in using the battery disconnects, or if that is just a waste of time and if i should just disconnect the Neg terminal instead. Thank you.
renemuniz58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The disconnect does not turn off several of the parasitic drains such as the CO/LP Leak detector, radio station memory, etc. The only way to accomplish that is removing the ground from the battery or adding a disconnect that does.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
renemuniz58

Thank you flybouy Marshall...
Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
Terry W.

Mr. Marshal is totally correct to disconnect (power) you must disconnect (battery)
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
GHen

I have never read why the factory disconnects are wire the way they are, since they don’t disconnect everything. Using it will always result in a dead battery in just a week or two.

When not using the rv for a while you have a few options.
Keep it plugged into shore power.
Or, Add a solar panel to keep batteries charged, as long as you don’t get snow coverage.
Or, Remove the negative cable from your batteries.
Or, remove the batteries completely from the rv and keep them on a battery tender

In all cases, don’t let the batteries get below 12.2 volts and make sure to check the water I the batteries if you can.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

There have been several posts regarding the "why". The only reason in my feeble minded thinking is to avoid litigation. I can't see any reason why a manufacturer would spend the extra money in extra wire/labor to bypass the disconnect unless it's either mandated by the government or their corporate attorneys. I'm guessing the litigation would be "wrongful death" should someone enter the unit with the battery disconnected, falls asleep and dies from CO poisoning or fire.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

IIRC we just had a discussion last month or so about the LP detector not being on the disconnect, and something about a federal law saying it can’t be. Smoke alarms are 9V battery operated so they don’t count.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

RVIA (the "industry watchdog organization) requires that "personal protective systems" (smoke detectors <usually battery operated>, LP gas detectors and CO detectors) NOT be wired to any switch that can disable those protective devices. The reason is to prevent human deaths in RV's that have had all the alarm systems disabled by an OEM switch. I'd suspect, as Marshall stated, it's more a "lawyer requirement to prevent wrongful death lawsuits" it's none the less, a requirement that any battery cutoff switch that's installed by the factory, not disable the personal protection alarm systems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
GHen

I understand why everything can’t be disconnected, I just don’t understand why they bother installing them at all. Their only purpose could be to avoid litigation but smaller units don’t have them so that can’t be the issue.

All they do is make a confusing mess out of the wiring and give new owners the false sense of protection when they put it in storage. I think they were developed by the battery companies to sell more after owners kill their batteries. Just kidding, but they don’t make sense.

I plug into to shore power and I also have two solar panels charging mine and a full disconnect for those times the panels are covered with snow.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I see them in “smaller” and cheaper units. My fiver doesn’t have one, so I don’t know what the criteria is for which units get them and which do.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I understand why everything can’t be disconnected, I just don’t understand why they bother installing them at all. Their only purpose could be to avoid litigation but smaller units don’t have them so that can’t be the issue.

All they do is make a confusing mess out of the wiring and give new owners the false sense of protection when they put it in storage. I think they were developed by the battery companies to sell more after owners kill their batteries. Just kidding, but they don’t make sense.

I plug into to shore power and I also have two solar panels charging mine and a full disconnect for those times the panels are covered with snow.
My guess, and strictly a WAG, is it's another added sales feature.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 AM   #12
renemuniz58

Thank you to everyone that has replied and/or contributed to my inquiry. In the interim, i will visit my storage more frequently, run my generator, and make sure to disconnect the neg terminal from each battery. I will find the time ($$$) to add a few solar panels to keep those batteries charged. On a separate note, i use one of the new champion 4K RV "digital hybrid" open frame inverter w/quiet technology which i am really pleased with. The price was great, starts easy and runs pretty quiet. Thanks again... RM, Cola, SC.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #13
redfernclan

Just added one to my trailer. It is a rotary one that mounted in the battery box lid. So far so good.
redfernclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #14
rohish

I replaced the original battery fuse/breaker with one of these that you can push a button and it will trip the breaker to disconnect the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FVV287..._pzEODb95KP4BC

Its the same type I have on my boat for my trolling motor...
rohish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:34 AM   #15
Canskan

I had same issue with extra parasitic loads off my batteries so I installed a main disconnect switch directly off the battery, followed by protection in the form of a 100A breaker, then a bus bar to attach the parasitic and other loads. Their 12v disconnect was on the other opposite side of the 5th wheel so it was easier and more logical to do it this way. I bypassed their 12v disconnect. For the winter, I turn main disconnect to off then plug in my battery tender wired via 7.5 amp fuse directly to my 2 batteries. Where the round battery vent used to be, I replaced it with a circle of plexiglass and made a little shelf for the Tender so I can see it's lights from the house.🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191013-091406_Photos.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	24036  
Canskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
Roscommon48

never use the disconnect.

when leaving trailer I always disconnect the negatives....then no drain whatsoever.

If you have good batteries you can leave them for MONTHS without any issue.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #17
GeekSquadOfUn

Install a switch like this one, on the POS + side of your battery.

You'll be glad you did.
Attached Images

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
Modifier

My Keystone Outback has dual batteries and each battery has a disconnect on the negative (-) terminal. This not only makes complete disconnect of the batteries possible but it makes it possible to use only one battery at a time. This is a handy if a battery goes bad on needs to be disconnected for any reason.
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
mjsibe

Battery disconnect

I use a marine battery switch
I have 2 house batteries
When not in use I turn them off
While towing or on shore power both are on
Boondocking you can switch to either one or both
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery