Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
HIDE-EE

GPS/back up camera

Has anyone used the Garmin rv780? Looking for rv friendly gps and would also like to add a camera to the rig. A quick google search led me to the garmin. Idk how to put the link like some of you do. Thanks.
HIDE-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:14 AM   #2
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Looks interesting https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/660527

My phone and truck both have GPS mapping so I don't have a need. The dimensions of our rig is not unusual.

The backup camera (extra cost https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12242-10 ) only transmits 25 feet. That's unlikely to be far enough for any trailer and most coaches.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
slow

I use an older model Garmin RV760 as an observation camera while towing that simulates that I would see out the TV's rear view camera if the TT was not hooked up. This is different than a backup camera in terms of field of view. I also hardwired the setup so I never have any drop offs and I have a clear image all the time. Here is the thread with details: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=29158
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
HIDE-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I use an older model Garmin RV760 as an observation camera while towing that simulates that I would see out the TV's rear view camera if the TT was not hooked up. This is different than a backup camera in terms of field of view. I also hardwired the setup so I never have any drop offs and I have a clear image all the time. Here is the thread with details: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=29158
So you were able to use a different brand camera other than garmin? Any idea what keystone intended for their camera prep? I looked into voyager but didn’t see anything specific that was looking like it was going to fill the space of the cover on my trailer. I like the idea of adding one screen to the truck that will be able to show both gps and camera. I, like you want to be aware of what’s going on behind me and other than a quick glance maybe while backing will depend on mirrors and DW to park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C33870F-97B9-4DFC-897A-683536A19DF1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	21501  
Old 04-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Our Premier came "pre-wired" for the Furrion system. The Furrion Vision S can be had with 1 to 4 cameras and 3 different screen sizes.

If you cut off the pre-wired socket then you have 12 vDC right where you need it. So don't get caught up in pre-wired meaning a specific brand.

Usually the power is on when your marker lights are on. If your rig is not pre-wired, fishing a wire a couple inches from your center marker light is really easy to do. Hardest part is probably setting up the ladder and working on a ladder.

Furrion is not a premium brand, even though their advertising has a land rover towing an airstream. Their price is premium.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
HIDE-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
Our Premier came "pre-wired" for the Furrion system. The Furrion Vision S can be had with 1 to 4 cameras and 3 different screen sizes.

If you cut off the pre-wired socket then you have 12 vDC right where you need it. So don't get caught up in pre-wired meaning a specific brand.

Usually the power is on when your marker lights are on. If your rig is not pre-wired, fishing a wire a couple inches from your center marker light is really easy to do. Hardest part is probably setting up the ladder and working on a ladder.

Furrion is not a premium brand, even though their advertising has a land rover towing an airstream. Their price is premium.
Thanks. I can get an antenna extension for the wireless camera(garmin bc30) so I’m thinking I can get the 12v power from the camera prep and the maybe run the antenna over the roof to get it as close to the truck as possible. Currently we use our phones for gps but 1: it uses a lot of data 2: if there is no service you can’t put in a destination 3: we a few times now we followed our phones onto a road that the pavement ended then up came a one lane bridge with a blind hair pin turn right after( the guys face was priceless when he saw us coming head on to the blind turn. He very nicely backed up for us to pass lol) and other roads with length and weight restrictions ( not fun backing backing down a steep hill onto a highway to get out of that one). I will post what I end up doing.