Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
daryle cole

Hideout electric issue

Good day all. New here and hopefully some answers. We own a 2018 Hideout. While doing some early winter camping we developed an electrical problem. When the units heat kicks on we loose the master bedrooms lighting. Also while using the outside receptacle trips the bathroom GFI. Took to the local dealer they explained unit is out of warranty and call an electrician. So before I spend thousands on an electrician. I’m hoping someone can help me here
daryle cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryle cole View Post
Took to the local dealer they explained unit is out of warranty and call an electrician. So before I spend thousands on an electrician. I’m hoping someone can help me here
This may be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard come out of a dealers mouth. They could have still worked on it.

Was it working normally before? Did you change anyhing?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Let me start by saying that your dealer is not someone I would use for ANYTHING any more. First off the furnace issue and the GCFI issue are separate. Lets start with the furnace issue. Check the battery have it load tested. Any decent auto parts store can do that for free.

GFI issue: check the plug with a plug checker ( cheap and readily available at any hardware store or Harbor Freight, check the appliance or cord plugged into the outlet. let us know the results and we can proceed. NO NEED to call an electrician yet. Besides most "electricians" are familiar with 110VAC found in houses and not12VDC in RV's.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
daryle cole

Everything worked perfect. It was the first time running the heat. Nothing was changed or added.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
daryle cole

Understand completely had battery tested nothing wrong with it. It doesn’t materwhat gets plugged into outside receptacle it pops the gfi.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Logan X

I have a 2016 Hideout. The outside kitchen outlet, the outside outlet, the kitchen outlet, and the bathroom outlet are all on the same GFI circuit. The only outlet that has the GFI reset is the one in the bathroom. Maybe try plugging into the other outlets on the GFI circuit to see if they also blow the breaker. If no other outlet on the circuit causes the issue, it is probably a problem with your outside outlet or it’s wiring. If that is the case, and you feel comfortable doing it, I would replace the outside outlet and make sure it is wired correctly with no loose connections.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
daryle cole

There’s a manufacturer defect going on for sure. Unfortunately they don’t want to stand good on it since it’s out of warranty. Buy 3 months. Warranty was up in November the issue came up in November and we were told they
Couldn’t get the unit in to look at it until February. Wouldn’t you know it February unit is out of warranty. And told to hire an electrician. So we checked everything we possibly could. But does anyone know if the thermostat would cause this.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Thermostat shouldn’t be causing any issues. If the battery passed a load test, then I would be checking the converter.

Have you used a plug checker on the outside outlet?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Are you familiar at all with a VOM? Sounds like 2 different problems. One is 12vdc the other 120vac. There could be some interplay but questionable to me. The issues are so wide ranging I'm thinking let it fail and use the meter to find the suspect component.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Exterior 120VAC outlets are notorious for getting wet, corroding and causing the GFCI to open. That's the "purpose of the GFCI" to protect the exterior outlet when it has a problem... So, I'd guess if you unplug the trailer from shore power, remove/replace the exterior outlet, paying close attention to any corrosion, leak or condensation in the ROMEX wiring, you'll probably fix that issue.

As for the 12 volt problem, it sounds like your battery is not fully charged and when the furnace "kicks in" it draws the voltage down enough that the bedroom light (probably on the came circuit, but maybe not) doesn't have enough "oomph" left to remain lighted. That problem could be a bad battery, blown reverse polarity fuses, a bad converter, corrosion at the battery terminals or a loose connection "somewhere" in the wiring.

As for the dealer, you now have learned where NOT to spend any more money !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #11
BamaRam

I also have a 2018 Hideout. The wire routing is atrocious. I found a wood screw in the kitchen cabinet that was driven into a wire bundle on the other side of the panel. It had nicked the insulation and was only a mater of time before it shorted to the conductor. I suggest a close inspection of the fuse box area for poor workmanship.

Tags
hideout