Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Dam-man

Here we go!

Got our first RV- yep newbies! Seems there are a lot of good people on here and I may need all the help I can get! The wife, pups and myself will be staying in our 2011 Avalanche RE for a few months while I do a job. I work on dams and I've seen lots of campgrounds but really never paid much attention, until a couple of weeks ago. I will take any advice on set up, full timing, the unexpected disasters and what I'm supposed to do to get the wife broke in to this. She travels with me always and we still have the homestead to retreat to. She's all good with it and excited. I will keep y'all posted on how it goes here in a couple weeks. I've read lots of post on here and made some preparations but I just know I'll forget something and the wife will let me know. Ha! Anyhoo, be good and be safe!
Dam-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
2011 keystone

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new 5er
And by the way I have been camping for years and still forget something allmost every trip. I call it part of this adventure we call Camping.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
geo

Yes, welcome to the Forum. We all help each other. Sounds like you might want to watch for campgrounds with full 50amp hookups. Always makes it easier with the misses.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Welcome to our forum and we are always available to help you in any way we can. There are a few full-timers on here who, when asked, I'm sure would be more than willing to share their experiences with you and offer advice. There are also a number of other sites soley devoted to full-timing and they may be worth checking out. Googling will work.

However, I am not sure if any of us are qualified enough or willing to offer any advice on "breaking in wives" to the RV lifestyle. Keeping everyone happy is a good start and usually works!

As for the "unexpected disasters" they are exactly that - unexpected. When you find out how to prepare for them, please share that with the rest of us! Having said that, just make sure you keep up with routine maintenance and up-keep. Leaks of various types and sizes are always unexpected but can be prevented with proper diligence.

Hope all goes well with you and your wife. Problems - with your RV- will invariably arise but almost all can be easily fixed. It will take some time to get used to what you are doing but look upon it as a new adventure. Enjoy and relax and "don't sweat the small stuff".
Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

HI THERE WELCOME TO THE FORUM. DW HAVE A WAY OF SURPRISING YOU. IF YOU HAD TOLD MY WIFE WOULD LIKE CAMPPING I WOULD HAVE LAUGHED AT YOU CALLED YOU NUTS. SHE LOVES IT. SHE CALLS IT HER DOLL HOUSE! AND FESTUS I GOT THE DOGS BACK! HAHAHA
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

for what it is worth, we BOTH have checklist's that we follow to the T. everything from each day's woth of food, down to the kids teddy bears. it took several trips to figure out what we need, but it works. i keep a "trapper keeper" if you know what that is, and that stays in the trailer and gets brought into the house when we return. in there i can find any info i need. past places we been, burger joints on routes we take. i also keep a section for "repairs and maintnace", and for things that need restocked, IE, TP, Towles and such. when something runs out, it goes in the folder, something breaks, it goes in the folder. took a little getting use to, but works good. good luck and welcome.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote