Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
MarcS

Thoughts

I have two cables on my bunk house that are slightly loose when slide is extended. They are both on the same side. Saw this when I pulled slide in. Slide works without any issues going out or in. Looking for thoughts on this!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
xrated

The cable system is a "give and take" system, and in order for the four cables that pull the slide in, the other four cables that pull it out, should be loose. And it should be just the opposite when the slide is extended fully. In your example, the two cables that you are referring to should be slightly loose, as well as the other two cable on the opposite end of the slide unit.

Here is a link to the operation and maint book/manual that covers the slide operation....

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...ice-manual.pdf
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
MarcS

Is this normal?

Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Is this normal?

OK, let's try this again.....
Let's say you have your slide pulled all the way in (retracted). If you look at the slide unit/room, you will see two cables on one end of the slide and two other cables on the other end of the slide. In both cases, one will be an upper cable and one will be a lower cable and it's the same on the other end of the slide. ALL FOUR of those cables should be slightly loose. In other words, you should be able to take your finger and push them down or up maybe a 1/2" - 3/4". And this is ALL 4 cables.

Now, run the slide room all the way out (extended fully) and all FOUR of those cables should be slightly loose...1/2" - 3/4" up or down by pushing on them with one finger. If you have anything different than what I just described, your cable system is probably out of adjustment....at least to some extent.

As I posted above, download the Adjustment manual and read it thoroughly and it will become much clearer what is happening there. Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
MarcS

This is what the inside of my cables look like.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
xrated

Whoa....that amount of looseness in the chain in NOT normal. Something has come out of proper adjustment in my opinion. First thing I would do is to download the manual from the link I provided above....it's like 16 pages and requires a PDF file reader on your computer. Print it out if you need to and study it until you understand the operation and then, and only then, if you feel comfortable trying to adjust it, follow the adjustment procedures very carefully. Everything is clearly marked as to it's function, and color-coded. I've had to make a couple of adjustments to mine and it is in adjustment....and the chain is NO WHERE as loose as that one. Also, make sure that with the chain being that loose, that none of the cables have come off of the rollers that they run on. Some may be very hard to see without removing stuff, but trust me, breaking a cable and having to rethread a new one in place will be a lot more work than checking to make sure all the cable are on their respective roller assemblies. Remember, there are 8 separate cables......4 that pull the slide in and 4 that pull it out.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
MarcS

Here are pictures of the pulleys.Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_155854.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	14283

Old 10-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
xrated

Those are the pulleys that are pretty easily seen. There are more pulleys in behind the black plastic covers on both ends where the cable are transitioned onto the angle pulling brackets. I wouldn't be too concerned with the end that looks to be fairly tight, but I'd definitely check the other end that has the cables attached to the adjustment blocks that are on the loose chain.

I just enlarged the first picture that you posted.....is that chain even on the upper sprocket? The pic. isn't very clear when I enlarge it, but definitely check that out.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
MarcS

Everything appears to be intact. Although all I could see at the time I was at the TT was what I posted.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
xrated

I'm going to post a couple more links for you to check out. This one is a video of a demo slide unit and how it works....just to get an idea of what you've got....

This next link is the Norco Industries page that will give you some more links within the page. This is the page that has the link that I previously posted for the 16 page adjustment manual....
http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem...de/index.shtml

I'm headed off to bed....3:30AM comes pretty early for me....

Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 AM   #11
MarcS

Judging by the pictures provided, do you think the chain just needs to be tightened?

Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #12
xrated

To me, the pics are not clear enough to really make that determination. It's obvious that SOMETHING is out of adjustment, just not sure what and more importantly.....Why!

First thing I would do, personally, is to spend some time becoming really familiar with the setup.....the chains, the cables, adjusters, and how they interact with each other. REMEMBER, this is a give and take system, so it is most likely going to require some fairly precise adjustment. And that can only be done if you know ahead of time what you are trying to accomplish. After becoming very familiar with the system and its proper operation, then go back and start looking for issues.....loose chain and why. Chain off of sprocket?? and why?

One of the shortcomings I found with mine is that NONE of the cable ends, where they screw into the adjuster block, have any way to lock them down after adjustment. They are a 1/4" /20 thread and after I got mine adjusted correctly, I added a 1/4. /20 nut to each and every one (8 cable ends) on both of my slides...for a total of 16 nuts. The foam blocks are totally useless for locking anything down. The additional nuts I added serve as jam nuts and keep the adjustment correct. Over time, the cables may stretch slightly, and further adjustment might need to be made, but the real key here is keeping the slide unit out of a strain when extending or retracting it. This can pretty much only be done by making sure that the trailer is very close to being level, both front to back and side to side, before operating the slide. It is a lesson I've learned from past deployments and the trailer not being real level.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #13
Desert185

I deal with cables, chains, sprockets, pulleys and safety wired turnbuckles on airplanes from an inspection standpoint and need to learn more on these slide outs.

Question...is it recommended that the pulleys get lubed occasionally?

I think the locknuts you mentioned are a great idea.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #14
xrated

I'm not sure if it specifically talks about lubrication of the pulleys and/or the chain...or even the cables, but from a common sense standpoint, it would make sense to me that it needs to be lubricated occasionally. All of those items are moving parts, under some amount of strain and no different than any other chain or cable or pulley/sheeve that needs to be lubricated.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #15
Desert185

That would be my thought. I use LPS 2 on my aircraft control cable pullies and on the few “bicycle chain” cable attachments. I don’t see any advantage to lubing the cables, though.

I do have one slide with cables and will have to add that to the more frequent trailer maintenance cycle.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote