Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
rode2nowhere

replacing skylight

Skylight over shower has 3 cracks, I am guessing amazon is place to get a new one. Do you put butyl tape under it? I know self leveling sealer goes on top but wanted to make sure I get what goes under it??
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We use butyl tape underneath the edge. Double layer of protection against moisture intrusion. Sky lights come in different sizes and shapes so make sure your getting the right one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
rode2nowhere

so just a strip of butyl underneath and dicor on top? ok thanks....
Old 07-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes, That's how we do it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Additionally, (and I know this is being "compulsive") but drill your screwholes in the new skylight. Granted, they are made of plastic and "shouldn't" crack under the stress of a screw being put through the flange, but I've seen more than one that developed a crack from a screwhole that ran up into the part that isn't coated with DICOR.

So, if you use a drill, make pilot holes in the plastic flange and then install it, you'll eliminate that potential. It's frustrating to install a new skylight, tow to a "sunbaked area" and then when you get home, during the first rain, you realize that there is fog between the two skylight layers.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
rode2nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Additionally, (and I know this is being "compulsive") but drill your screwholes in the new skylight. Granted, they are made of plastic and "shouldn't" crack under the stress of a screw being put through the flange, but I've seen more than one that developed a crack from a screwhole that ran up into the part that isn't coated with DICOR.

So, if you use a drill, make pilot holes in the plastic flange and then install it, you'll eliminate that potential. It's frustrating to install a new skylight, tow to a "sunbaked area" and then when you get home, during the first rain, you realize that there is fog between the two skylight layers.....
Actually mine is cracked in the screw holes, I saw where forest river had a recall for that but oh well, and the replacements I saw on amazon were pre drilled

Tags
light