Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #21
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
On my second Ford 6.7 diesel... First was a '12 F250 and now the '15 dually, in Texas it is nearly impossible to buy diesel without at least 5% Bio-diesel added...

Being that I live in Texas where the summer temps easily reach 100+, it is normal for us to run 15-40 oil from the get go... so that's a non-issue with the bio-diesel... I tow a 12,500 pound trailer frequently and drive in stop & go traffic daily so my oil change interval is also a non-bio issue. Fuel filters replacement intervals are also not related to the bio-diesel independently because of my location (temperature) and driving habits...

The fact that every tank that has ever gone through my two pickups has been at least 5% bio and I've seen nothing to indicate a problem.

Now... here is what I do...

Oil change 7,500 miles or when the oil minder says...

Fuel filter change every 2nd oil change...

Drain water trap at least once a month, more if traveling and buying fuel in suspect places..

I run a Cetane Booster and Lubricity additive in every tank... Not because of the bio-diesel but rather, in spite of the bio-diesel.. Because the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel we run today doesn't lube the upper cylinders as good as the old fuel did... and the bio-diesel while it is slicker than the ULS fuel, it is also lower on Cetane than the older fuel as well...

Give it a try for yourself... there are several on the market... and in a tank or two you will notice the engine noise lessening and probably notice a slight boost in fuel mileage...

What I've found is that fill-up to fill-up, station to station I can hear and most of the time notice in mileage the difference in fuel...

This is what I use and understand it is for no particular reason except convenience (that was what was on the shelf)

Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 575, 61 micron improvement
400:1 ratio
8.32 oz/tank
$1.58/tank
Thank you for taking the time to share all that info. My driving habits are quite a lot different than yours. My truck sits during the week, as it's not my daily driver, and I use it to tow approx 10-11 times a year. It's a 6 1/2 year old truck with 52,xxx miles on it. I too use an additive in every single tank of fuel that I put in the truck and I have from day one. I use the Motorcraft PM22.. Or normal temps. here in E. TN aren't usually anything near what you have. Here, it's not even easy to find BioDiesel....even if I wanted it, thus my reason, at least partially, for getting the tank/pump/filter setup for the truck. I can fill up before I leave drive to the tracks we go to, then drive home and never have to stop for fuel.

And, I also go by the oil change minder too. It normally comes on between 7k and 7.5k. I'm expecting for it to come on sooner now that I have a much heavier trailer. My previous one was a 7' x 16' enclosed and was maybe 5000-5300 lbs going down the road. The new one is 9k empty, with a 4k cargo carrying capacity...so 13k GVWR.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

As a member of the "certified old fart society" I well remember the "real and economic battles" that went along with the introduction of lead free gasoline in the early 70's. I remember people parking in long lines at the 2 or 3 stations that had a "leaded gas" pump while the unleaded pumps sat idle.

Often I heard, "I'm not putting that stuff in my car, it'll destroy the valves". Many of us remember going to Midas to have that "darned catalytic converter" cut out of our exhaust system, so we could burn leaded in our unleaded engine. Then, when stations were mandated to stop selling leaded fuel, we all bought "lead additives" at KMart (there was no WalMart back then) to "protect our engines"... All of those arguments and all of those additives are essentially "just a memory these days", much like that "fat lip bumper" (5 MPH crash bumper) that became a requirement in 1973.....

We just went through another of those "fuel morphs" with the addition of ethanol at 10% to most "unleaded gas".... Now we're going through the E85 debacle with its "clear reduction in MPG" and "reduction in power" and "damage to most engines" and ... (pick your claim).....

My point in this is just to say that Bio-diesel is, for the most part, the "morphing" of another fuel type. We're in the early stages of "it's good/it's bad" and the actions we take (for the most part resistance to change) will very likey follow along the same pathway that "us old farts" remember happened with leaded gas, and the pathway that most of us remember with 10% ethanol and now with E-85. It's a change, like it or not, that's here to stay and as the mechanics of how we build engines changes, bio-diesel will become as commonplace as unleaded gas and "dino-diesel" will become a "dinosaur, much like leaded gas" is today... This thread, for me, introduces a discussion more about "how we cope in the interim" and offers some of the ways members are coping with bio-diesel. Either by using it with additives or by avoiding it with larger tanks to avoid refueling in places where only bio-diesel is available. These workarounds, I think, will all be "memories of how it used to be" in the future, but they're important today, at least to some of us.

I'm not trying to spark a debate about the appropriate way to deal with the current "like/dislike" of bio-diesel, nor to say it's good or bad, but just commenting on the fact that diesel fuel is going through a 'morphing phase" just like leaded gas did "back when I was still able to stay up all night drinking and go to work the next morning. Like my capacity to lose sleep, leaded gas is "only a memory".... In 20 years, I'd suppose "the new members of the old fart society" will be talking about, "Back when real diesel was available....."......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #23
gary31

Extra fuel Tank

I had a 2500 with a 26 gallon tank and on one of our trips I just about ran out of fuel at the beach towing the TH into Myrtle beach. Thought I could make into the city and get better fuel prices only to find that there were very few stations that I could even get into. Well after turning around and backtracking to a WILCO that could accommodate me I swore I would never get into that situation again. I traveled with a 5 gallon can of diesel for Emergencies. Now I have a F250 with a 26 gallon tank but have a 30 gallon external tank in the bed. I auto fills as I use fuel and I never need to do anything except feed the beast. The extra fuel provides you with one less thing to worry about when pulling these play toys around the country.

Enjoying the Grandkids like No Tomorrow!
-----------------------------------------------
2015 Carbon 31
2013 F250 CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2005 Honda Rancher & 2017 RZR 900S
gary31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #24
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary31 View Post
I had a 2500 with a 26 gallon tank and on one of our trips I just about ran out of fuel at the beach towing the TH into Myrtle beach. Thought I could make into the city and get better fuel prices only to find that there were very few stations that I could even get into. Well after turning around and backtracking to a WILCO that could accommodate me I swore I would never get into that situation again. I traveled with a 5 gallon can of diesel for Emergencies. Now I have a F250 with a 26 gallon tank but have a 30 gallon external tank in the bed. I auto fills as I use fuel and I never need to do anything except feed the beast. The extra fuel provides you with one less thing to worry about when pulling these play toys around the country.
Gary, can you provide some details about the auto fill setup please? The tank I bought does not have any type of tap or bung on the bottom of it, just the two inch opening in the top to put the pump in. What kind of parts would I need to be able to pump right into the existing truck tank instead of using the supplied hose and gas station type nozzle.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #25
gary31

I bought this truck used and the previous owner had it installed. I will take a look at it and maybe take a picture and post. It automatically does the work, as I recall it taps into the main fill or the overfill on the driver side.

2015 Carbon 31
Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #26
gary31

Transfer Flow Inc is the name of the tank, it has a toolbox on top with the tank in the bottom.
http://www.transferflow.com/fuel-tan...ox-tank-combos

2015 Carbon 31
Old 03-10-2017, 04:52 AM   #27
bsmith0404

What tank are you looking at? Personally, I don't like the gravity flow tanks with the shutoff valve at the bottom. They work well for some people, but others have had them overflow the OE tank and need to be shut off. Look for a tank that has sending unit at the top of the tank with a vent line. My tank has 3 lines that come out of the sending unit, feed line, return line, and vent line. It will fill the OE tank through a syphon effect while driving, but I also have an external pump that I can switch on to fill if the syphon is broken. It typically only takes a few seconds of running the pump to reestablish the syphon.

Here is a link to the type of sending unit that I'm talking about. You can also get fuel gauges for the aux tank, but I don't bother with that. I just reset my fuel used in the DIC when I fuel up, then I can tell when I've drained the aux tank by how much fuel I've used and know when I'm down to just the fuel left in the OE tank.

http://www.attatank.com/products/Aux...ding-Unit.html

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #28
xrated

This is the one that I bought/picked up yesterday....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...rUzFF_O10iQ%3D

I found a $20 off coupon online and used that also. It's a 42 gal and have also bought a GPI EZ-8 electric pump and a Goldenrod filter housing with a filter.

I have a tool box in the bed of the truck and I'm going to raise it up 3 1/2" so the bottom part of the tank will fit under the tool box instead of behind it. Pump and filter assembly is out for delivery right now, so hopefully, I'll make some good progress today. The only thing about using a tank this way is that I will have to stop and get out to refuel the truck tank, but I don't mind stopping ever so often to get out and stretch and or take a bathroom break.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:21 AM   #29
xrated

Tank install update..........
I got the tool box lifted the 3 1/2" that I needed to be able to install the "L" shaped tank in the truck bed. With the toolbox up by 3 1/2", the "L" part of the tank fits perfectly under the toolbox. I also put a rubber mat (hollow, not solid) under the tank and slid it under the box. The delivery folks were busy here yesterday. USPS brought the Goldenrod filter housing and Fedex brought the GPI EZ 8 electric pump. The only thing left to do is run the 12Volt, two conductor cable up front, install the inline fuse and hook it up to one of the batteries on the truck. I don't have the upfitter switches on the truck, so going directly to the battery. I may, at some point in time, install a switch in the cab to be able to turn off the power to the pump assembly, although the pump handle assembly does have a switch built into it. It also has a locking device so that you can lock the pump handle (with the switch in the off position) in the carrier. The fuel fill cap is also lockable, and since I had a 4 lock set of keyed alike locks, I'm using the locks that also fit the rear ramp of the Toy Hauler.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #30
xrated

Update........Well, the 2-4" of predicted snow totally missed us last night/early Sunday morning and it ended up getting up to 53 degrees today. So, I went out early this afternoon and finished up the tank install on the truck. The only thing left was to run the 14ga/2 conductor wire from the pump, up to the front of the truck and tie into one of the batteries. Everything was wire tied up along the frame and up into the engine compartment and a fuse inline with the pump. Next stop, getting some diesel fuel and turning the pump on to check for any leaks....including the tank. So I put 12 gallons of diesel in the tank, drove back to the house and fired it up. Since all I was doing was testing, not filling anything, I just opened the fuel fill cap, turned the pump on, and pumped it right back into the 42 gallon tank! Total sucess and not a drip or drop of diesel fuel anywhere.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #31
66joej

Good job xrated. Nice to see no leaks. Always a satisfying feeling when stuff comes together.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #32
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Great to hear. I love it when things work out.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod