Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
Sherwolfe

Slide Out Pump Location 2015 Cougar 28RLSWE

Need some help locating the slide out pump on my 2015 Cougar 28RLSWE. It works fine, but need to know where it is so I can check the fluid level and of course, should things fail, know the location to operate manually if necessary.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Sherwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: Slide Out Pump Location 2015 Cougar 28RLSWE

I believe your Cougar has a "electric ram slide" mechanism in it. You can check by looking under your RV on the curb side where you'll find either a piece of coroplast screwed to the bottom of your trailer or a "cut flap" secured by tape and zip ties. Just above that "access door" you'll find the electric motor, gearbox and electrical connections for your slide. An "alternative" slide mechanism (I don't think you have it) is the cable driven slide. You can verify if it's that type by looking behind the fascia around the inside of the slide. If you see cables and a motor mounted above the slide, you'll know it's "cable driven". I don't think your slide is that type.

I don't believe Cougar "half ton" or "XLite" models have ever had a hydraulic actuated slide system. That's almost always reserved for the "big boys" meaning multiple "big" slide trailers with more than three slides.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe your Cougar has a "electric ram slide" mechanism in it. You can check by looking under your RV on the curb side where you'll find either a piece of coroplast screwed to the bottom of your trailer or a "cut flap" secured by tape and zip ties. Just above that "access door" you'll find the electric motor, gearbox and electrical connections for your slide. An "alternative" slide mechanism (I don't think you have it) is the cable driven slide. You can verify if it's that type by looking behind the fascia around the inside of the slide. If you see cables and a motor mounted above the slide, you'll know it's "cable driven". I don't think your slide is that type.

I don't believe Cougar "half ton" or "XLite" models have ever had a hydraulic actuated slide system. That's almost always reserved for the "big boys" meaning multiple "big" slide trailers with more than three slides.
I will take a look, the entire bottom of my TT is enclosed as it has the arctic package. Under the slide out are two metal rails with a toothed track under them, then there is a round looking tube, but not what appears to be a hydraulic ram, so you are likely correct that it is not a hydraulic ram. Maybe the round tube has the electric ram?

I have heard that some cut this covering to find things then just use black tape to secure the material, however, the reason for my question is I don't want to start cutting a bunch of holes so any help is much appreciated.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Old 10-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Your description of the two round tubes with "gear teeth" on them is essentially the same as under my slide (I have a Cougar XLite 27RKS). It's an electric slide. If you look under the roadside you'll probably see a "cutout" already installed in the coroplast. If you do decide to cut and access hole. Cut only 3 sides, leave the edge toward the front of your trailer intact to act as a "hinge". Fold the "flap" down to access what's inside, then, when you're done, return it to position, use a couple of zip ties to secure it in place and then seal the cuts with tape. Most of us use "Gorilla tape" since it seems to hold much better than other types.

If you look at the curbside chassis rail, somewhere about 4-8' from the back of the trailer, probably "in line with the round tube" you should find a small hole centered on the frame rail. That "hole" is where you'd install the ratchet/socket to connect to the emergency slide activation arm on the slide motor.

If you had a hydraulic slide, there wouldn't be any teeth on the tubes, your slide would be actuated by a hydraulic ram which isn't gear driven.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Your description of the two round tubes with "gear teeth" on them is essentially the same as under my slide (I have a Cougar XLite 27RKS). It's an electric slide. If you look under the roadside you'll probably see a "cutout" already installed in the coroplast. If you do decide to cut and access hole. Cut only 3 sides, leave the edge toward the front of your trailer intact to act as a "hinge". Fold the "flap" down to access what's inside, then, when you're done, return it to position, use a couple of zip ties to secure it in place and then seal the cuts with tape. Most of us use "Gorilla tape" since it seems to hold much better than other types.

If you look at the curbside chassis rail, somewhere about 4-8' from the back of the trailer, probably "in line with the round tube" you should find a small hole centered on the frame rail. That "hole" is where you'd install the ratchet/socket to connect to the emergency slide activation arm on the slide motor.

If you had a hydraulic slide, there wouldn't be any teeth on the tubes, your slide would be actuated by a hydraulic ram which isn't gear driven.
JRTJH,

Well I looked at the coroplast for any signs of the cutout, found nothing. Also checked the frame rail on the curb side opposite the round electric ram and did not find a hole. I suppose my next step will be to remove the screws holding up the coroplast near the back of the trailer and then peak inside to see if I can find this motor and access to the ratchet/socket for the emergency slide activation arm. Of course never hoping to have to use this, but then again, if I experience a failure I don't want to be tearing things apart to find the access point. Once I find this I can then mark it and then hopefully never use it.

On an interesting side note, seems as though on the curb side, right under the back door where the steps fold in, there is a yellow marker light that comes on with the outside porch light. Now I would hope that they didn't mount this light over the small access hole, just saying. Will have to look closer when I lower the coroplast.

I appreciate your help on this, will let you know what I find.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The slide mechanism is actually a very simple mechanism. If you crawl under your slide room you'll find a "brass bell" (actually an anodized cylinder) located at the outside connection of one of your two "rams". That will indicate which "ram" has the electric motor attached. Go to the other side of the trailer, in line with that ram and the motor will be about 12" inboard of the chassis rail. At the center of that chassis rail, in line with the "ram" is where you should find that "quarter sized hole" in the chassis.

Here is a drawing of what that "ram" looks like and a picture of what the "brass bell" looks like. The "brass bell" is item #7 in the first drawing.

You can download the Lippert slide manual here: http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ly_Webpage.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippertactuator1.jpg
Views:	2687
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	11367  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Sherwolfe

Quote:
The slide mechanism is actually a very simple mechanism. If you crawl under your slide room you'll find a "brass bell" (actually an anodized cylinder) located at the outside connection of one of your two "rams". That will indicate which "ram" has the electric motor attached. Go to the other side of the trailer, in line with that ram and the motor will be about 12" inboard of the chassis rail. At the center of that chassis rail, in line with the "ram" is where you should find that "quarter sized hole" in the chassis.

Here is a drawing of what that "ram" looks like and a picture of what the "brass bell" looks like. The "brass bell" is item #7 in the first drawing.

You can download the Lippert slide manual here: http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ly_Webpage.pdf
JRTJH,

Thank you this is very helpful. I do have the anodized cylinder as indicated in the attachment you provided me. Will check this out and let you know what I find, thanks again.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwolfe View Post
JRTJH,

Thank you this is very helpful. I do have the anodized cylinder as indicated in the attachment you provided me. Will check this out and let you know what I find, thanks again.

JRTJH,

Well want to thank you for the help. I located the slide motor just where you said it would be. I truly do appreciate the information.