Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
Bigiron

Slideout Seal and Wiper Gasket Lube Question

Decided to lube up the wipers and gaskets on my Impact. I did notice the bottom wiper seal on the large slide had a small piece missing on the right side of the side. I also noticed that when the slide is moving in, the wiper does its job and folds in with the slide. However, it is extremely tight between the floor of the slide and the frame once the wiper is folded in. I believe this may have something to do with the rubber tearing. BUT the biggest issue is now after lubing the gaskets, the slide slips on the way in and out as thought is it not sliding smoothly and is grabbing. I tried wiping the lube off, adding more, but the slide still skips in both directions. It was always smooth before I lubes it. The front slide performs as it should, but the bottom has rollers where the other large slide does not.

Any ideas? I plan to replace the wiper seal and possibly lower it so it does't pull so far under the slide while retracting.

What am I missing here? The only thing that has changed is I lubes the gaskets.

2016 Impact 311
2002 F-250 7.3 (retired, but still own)
2016 F-350 6.7 Platinum
2010 EZGO
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
Bigiron

Well, I found the issue and found the fix on this forum. Seems that once I spray lubed the bottom wiper seal with 303 it became very clean and pliable. This is good right? Well, not so good. It seems the slide was sticking to this newly treated rubber. I used the baby powder trick and now the slide is back to normal. I think Keystone installed the wiper seal too close to the bottom of the slide and when it retracts, the gasket wedges in between the slide and the floor causing it to bind. I plan to replace the wiper seal and install it a little lower so just the tip of the gasket moves in with the slide.

2016 Impact 311
2002 F-250 7.3 (retired, but still own)
2016 F-350 6.7 Platinum
2010 EZGO
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote