Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
Heavyrider

Battery charging

Should my on board generator be charging my batteries? They only seem to charge when the truck is running. Even with the onboard generator running they will run down within an hour or two. Then the Fridge starts beeping that it is in limited operation and says lo dc. Also it seems that if I let the dc system go completely dead the onboard generator will die. Does this sound normal?
Thanks.
Heavyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
b.d.keathley

Onboard generators? Most trlrs dont come with even one generator. Only toy haulers typically come with an onan 5500w. What trlr do you have?
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

ONLY GUESSING HERE BUT Do you anve a manual or automatic transfer switch? I am assuming the generator is factory installed. The generator should run the fridge and charge the battery if working properly. You many have a bad transfer switch. would like more info about the gen and if it is factory or not.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Heavyrider

I have an Onan 5500 watt onboard generator in my toy hauler model 331. So, is the transfer switch a part of the generator?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrider View Post
I have an Onan 5500 watt onboard generator in my toy hauler model 331. So, is the transfer switch a part of the generator?
A transfer switch does exactly what its name describes.....it senses whether or not you are plugged in to shore power and if you are, it will (by means of the switch) automatically transfer over to the generator.

In one sense, it is part of the generator but at the same time separate ....make sense?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
Heavyrider

Yes, Is this switch usually located in the generator compartment? So, would the power go from the gen to the switch then to an inverter then to the batteries?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrider View Post
Yes, Is this switch usually located in the generator compartment? So, would the power go from the gen to the switch then to an inverter then to the batteries?
Do you mean the converter? This is the device that converts or changes 110VAC to 12VDC. All RV's have a converter but unless you have installed an inverter your RV likely doesn't have one. An inverter changes 12VDC to 110VAC and would be wired to your batteries.

If you Google "RV transfer switch" read up what it says about this device and where it is placed in the circuit and mounted in the RV.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
dcg9381

Think of the transfer switch as a "Y" connector that either allows you to get power from the shore or from the generator. That's all it does. Everything else after "switching" should work the same.

Does your battery charge when on shore power? If not, it's actually your converter that you should be looking at.

If you have a volt meter, you can check it by testing the battery voltage. A volt meter will help determine when it's being charged.

Generally, neither the converter or transfer switch are near the battery. Follow shore power path to find the transfer switch. The converter is probably a little harder to find.

There are generally 3 ways that your batteries could get charged:
1) Shore power - via converter
2) Generator power - via converter
3) Connected to the trailer, via a feed on the trailer plug while the truck is running
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Heavyrider

Greta info . Thanks. I'm taking it out again this weekend. I will check it out. But I think it charges on shore power and from the running truck but not the gen.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #10
Heavyrider

It seemed to charge fine this weekend