Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 AM   #1
kguess

Tire covers

Do you cover your tires if your trailer is under a carport? Mine is on lime stone under a carport, out of the sun/ weather.
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

When we lived in Louisiana, we had a "carport" that we parked our RV in. It was "out of the sun" as far as the roof went, but during the day, with the exception of "high noon" the sun was shining on the tires. It got the driver's side tires in the morning and the passenger's side in the evening.

I always covered my tires. Essentially, parked with "open sides" on the carport, the tires were exposed as much as they would have been if the RV were parked outdoors.

Here, we have a pole barn that we park it in. It's completely enclosed and if you don't turn on the lights, you run a risk of walking into something. So, I don't cover the tires inside my pole barn.

If I were you, I'd cover the tires. They are too expensive and the ozone/UV is too strong that far south.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
old timer

I got tire covers from Camping World. They were cheap and went on easy. Seems to be good quality as well.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
kguess

The way my trailer is parked , the tires never get sun. The spare gets some but it's covered.
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:13 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If your tires "never get sun" and you live in Mississippi, I'd say you're probably fooling yourself to believe that there won't be any tire degradation from UV rays. But, if you're satisfied to store your RV without protecting the tires, then I'm sure you'll find out soon enough whether or not it was the right decision.

Lots of luck with that

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

Tires expensive,trailer expensive tire covers cheap insurance! and as i have noticed an extra benni... the dogs don't pee on the tires anymore
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:24 AM   #7
Harleyhop

I always cover my tires. I was once told that uv rays can damage tires wether in direct sunlight or not. To me they are cheap insurance so why not?" Not only that but it keeps the tires so they are easier to clean when detailing the rig!