Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
Cflynt62

Electrical problem

Hello y'all! My wife and I just finished our first weekend trip in our 5th wheel TT. Some good things, and too many bad things for us. The park had a power issue on Saturday, and all down hill for us after that. We got all power back for a short time. We then lost everything! We even couldn't operate the slide or front legs! I found the 20ampmpole of the 30/20 amp cb wasn't resetting. Well, I ran into Galveston to the Home Depot to get a 20/20 amp to replace it (can't get a 20/30 at Home Depot), we just wouldn't have the ac. Well, that didn't work either! I then plugged into my neighbors box, still nothing. We then proceeded to manually retract the slide and wheels and get out of there...after a night with no power at all! When we got to the rv storage, the slide would work, as well as the front legs....we noticed this after we had finished unhitching the tt! Any clues as to what this mystery is? Thanks in advance!

Charlie & Vicki
2008 Keystone Copper Canyon 252FWRLS, 29'
2015 Ford F250 Lariat FX4 Super Duty Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Cflynt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
Sherwood

Your slides and landing gear are operated on 12 volts. That is why it was working at the storage facility.(battery) I'm not sure why it was not working when connected to shore power even with power being out. You should have operated off battery power at that point. Hopefully the power issue at the park did not have an adverse affect on your trailer's electrical system.(converter) Have you tried reapplying shore power to trailer and checking everything out?

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Cflynt62

Yes, we connected to my neighbors connection at the park, still did not work. At that point, 12 volt system was not working at all, battery showed 12.6 volts on my meter. Once we returned to our storage location, the 12volt system was working. Very strange. I am going to have the electrical system looked at.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
Cflynt62

12V system was not working at park when disconnected from shore power.
Still not working when connected to my neighbors shore power connection.
After returning to storage location, 12v system was working.
Very strange. We will have it checked out obviously, just trying to get some ideas in case I can further troubleshoot, and possibly repair myself. We hope it's nothing serious though...like the converter.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Your slides and landing gear may be protected by auto-reset breakers and took longer than usual to reset due to low battery voltage. Battery recharged on trip home off of TV. You want to check the output of your converter ... it may have been damaged by the shore power problem. Check fuses on converter itself. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
GaryWT

I would say that the battery recharged on the way back to storage enough for it to work.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Cflynt62

Battery had 12.6 volts throughout all of this.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
GaryWT

Did you test the battery with the unit plugged in or when you were on just the 12 volt power?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Plugged into shore power you should have had over 13v. Unless you checked the battery power while under load it may have not had enough power to operate the slide or jacks. Check the voltage output of the converter.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
Cflynt62

Or c

Looks like the converter is bad. I believe I will let the pro's make sure that 100% true though. Thanks for all of your help, I listened and checked everything y'all mentioned, read up on it more as well. Thanks again, and happy a camping!!

Charlie & Vicki
2008 29' Keystone Copper Canyon
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Old 05-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #11
derrick george

slides

my slides and awing does not have any power i am hooked up to electricy and everything else is working perfect the battery is reading full on the panel but when i try to put out awing or slidesnothing happens it is 2013 cougar 327 any suggestions thanks
derrick george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If you are hooked up to shore power the battery indicator is reading the converter power, NOT the battery voltage. So you will ALWAYS show a "fully charged" 4 LEDs when on shore power.

Since the slides AND the awning won't function, it is probably not an issue with the motors or the actuators for them since they are two different systems. The common link is the 12 volt power being supplied by the battery.

Do you have a remote control? Will the slides and awning function with the remote?

First check all the fuses in your 12 VDC distribution panel. Pull each one, verify that it is good and reinstall it, don't just check for a red LED beside a fuse. Sometimes they can malfunction without the LED lighting.

Is the battery connected to the RV wiring? Are the battery leads correctly connected: White to GROUND and black to POS? Is the an "inline" fuse or 12 VDC Circuit breaker on the leads going to the slide and awning blown? Have you checked to make sure the battery cutoff switch is in the correct position?

If all of the above is "good" then remove the control panel and check to make sure that you have 12 VDC on the rear of the switches for the slides and awnings. If you don't, there is a fuse blown "somewhere". The hunt to find it can be very challenging.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #13
derrick george

slides

thanks JRTJH, we did everything you suggested and it worked,thank you so much..
derrick george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #14
Cflynt62

Well gents, the damage wasn't as bad as I thought. It wasn't the converter, it was the shore power cable that got fried in the power surge. Crazy. With that said, I have purchased a very nice surge protector for our TT. Thank y'all for all of your advice and words of wisdom and knowledge sharing, happy camping!