Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
mamawildbear

New from Austin, TX

Hey all,

I've posted a few things already and you all have been so helpful. I hadn't actually gotten around to introduce myself. We've been camping with our kids since our youngest was 18 months and sleeping in a playpen in the tent. We did that for 6 years and then bought a used Coleman Niagara popup camper. I actually LOVED the popup! Like being in a tent and REALLY camping. Loved the outdoor sounds, loved the wind against the canvas, loved opening up all the windows and just looking out through the mesh at the scenery. Plus it was super spacious inside and had all the amenities, cooking, shower, bathroom, A/C, etc.

What I didn't love was the setup and take down. We camped in it 12 trips a year for 5 years and the hour plus it took to erect it and pack it up got old. Plus with a son in middle school band and almost to high school we were leaving later and later, often picking him up at 5:45 on the way to the campground and arriving in the dark and having to do all that setup. Nowadays I'm also working Sunday afternoons so we'd be up first thing in the morning and starting the packing up process. EVERYTHING had to be squirreled away below waist level to fold down the top.

So Nov 1st we got our new travel trailer and although I miss the living conditions of the PUP, the setup and take down procedure is SO SO SO easy now. Just for spring break we picked up the boy from band rehearsal, got detoured with a trip to urgent care for him, and ended up arriving at the campground at 1:30am. Didn't even unhook or level, just hooked up power and water and within 10 minutes we were cozy inside. I love that I can come home from the grocery store and the food goes straight from trunk of car to refrigerator and pantry in the RV. Convenience trumps all. We've done 6 campgrounds so far in it and it's been great.

Here is our travel log (same slideshow I posted in another thread)Camping Log Slideshow
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
cabinfever

Welcome and enjoy the Springdale. You have gotten off to a great start this spring. The last of the snow on our Springdale just melted off this week.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

to the Forum From Western PA.

YES, YES, I think? snow is gone and now we are into another phase RAIN

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #4
Texascoastalfish

Welcome from down the road a bit !
Do you do much hill Country camping ?

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum from another Texan. Pop ups are wonderful but I think you will find, as we did, that as we got older the amenities of a full size trailer are welcome.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
koko

Your description of the pop-up with the wind coming through all those windows and the feel of a tent but off the ground really brings back some great memories, but we abandoned the pop-up back in 1986 and never looked back. Our son owned one for four years and has also moved on to a hard side. The deciding factor for him was the night they were forced to set up very late; and although the children were asleep and they tried to be very quiet, their next door camper let them know in colorful metaphors how angry he was with the sound of their cranking.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote