Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluejmc View Post
How do you reconfigure the cisco unit and can you use any cisco wireless router..thanks

I'm guessing that is proprietary information. After all if the company selling these units told you how to modify the unit, they would essentially be putting themselves out of business.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #22
B&T

Could be a modified version of this

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

which is one of many third party firmware firmware mods out there from many groups.

And no, not every cisco/Linksys router can be modified and when trying it's possible to "Brick" a router if the wrong firmware is used. "Brick" means it will no longer accept a firmware flash or work at all.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #23
bigbluejmc

Unhappy Wifi repeater

I figure it was something like that, but I had to ask as I have several Cisco units. Thanks

2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.7L
2012 Cougar 327RES
bigbluejmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
Richard6959

Update on our WifiRanger. We installed it and attached it to the Bat wing thinking the extra couple of feet would help get a better signal if we were parker next to someone. But what we learned is that the wifi signal and the t.v signal don't mix. Its one or the other. So to watch t.v. we have to unplug the ranger.

We will be removing it from the batwing and relocating it to the roof soon.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #25
B&T

With the Jefatech system I have found by experience that placing the antenna at the highest point does not always provide the best reception. Because of this, I have kept my antenna portable so I can move it to more locations.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #26
billandjan

www.radiolabs.com has some options as well.

I have this one:

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wi...fi-antenna.php
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #27
rcpilot1

Check this link out. It compares the wifi ranger to the pepwave and another ap router. The pepwave came out on top and it is only $99.00

For half what you pay for the wifi ranger I can get a pepwave and a high gain outside antenna.

I use one at the house and love it and can't wait to try it next sprint with the 5er.

rcpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #28
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot1 View Post
Check this link out. It compares the wifi ranger to the pepwave and another ap router. The pepwave came out on top and it is only $99.00

For half what you pay for the wifi ranger I can get a pepwave and a high gain outside antenna.

I use one at the house and love it and can't wait to try it next sprint with the 5er.

I have the Pepwave Surf Mini, love it but it only does B/G and not N. The newer Surf On-the-go has N, plus a USB port for 3G/4G network cards so I am thinking of upgrading to it. Amazon also has a 12VDC adapter from UpBright for off the grid surfing.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
2014Fuzion300

I have use different repeaters but the best one by far is the Apple Airport Express for around $100.
My2˘.
Boncey!!!
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #30
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I have the Pepwave Surf Mini, love it but it only does B/G and not N. The newer Surf On-the-go has N, plus a USB port for 3G/4G network cards so I am thinking of upgrading to it. Amazon also has a 12VDC adapter from UpBright for off the grid surfing.

Thoughts ... How many campgrounds do you see with an uplink to the Net fast enough to justify N?

Linking to them at N, or just to the devices in the camper, doesn't help much if their uplink connection isn't that fast.

It'd allow for faster file copies between devices inside the camper is all.

Not saying it's not what you want, just pointing it out.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #31
glenalt

Thanks for the update.
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #32
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Thoughts ... How many campgrounds do you see with an uplink to the Net fast enough to justify N?

Linking to them at N, or just to the devices in the camper, doesn't help much if their uplink connection isn't that fast.

It'd allow for faster file copies between devices inside the camper is all.

Not saying it's not what you want, just pointing it out.
That is a good point, but too late. LOL I am a computer tech and prefer current technology. The Pepwave Surf On the Go is more versatile than the mini (it does wired, wireless and USB 3G/4G) and can be configured from my tablet. I'll put the mini up for sale.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #33
denverpilot

No big deal. Toys are good.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #34
rabreen

I just got a good deal on two TP LINK TL-WA7210N devices. They are extremely sensitive antenna wise and built for outdoor use. I am getting one ready for spring camping and can't speak for exactly how well it will work yet. But they are pretty inexpensive and versatile in how they are configured. I have mine setup like am using a wireless ISP so that a single login (if required) will work for all devices in the camper. And I have it configured with my normal SSID so that u don't have to reconfigure any of my devices. New campground? Just configure the TP LINK with the right campground and log in. Then you are done.

I will report back when I get a chance to use it!
rabreen is offline   Reply With Quote