Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
WaltBennett

Plastic drawer units in basements

We've been given a four drawer unit that will almost perfectly fit into our basement. Problem is, how can I secure it so it doesn't move around? Anyone do this?

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Yosemitebob

Wow, I don't know about anyone else, but a lot more info is needed. What type of drawer unit, what type of glides, if any, how tall, how big is your opening, etc.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
WaltBennett

It's just a Sterilite (sp?) plastic 4 drawer unit that's 29" tall, 20" wide and 19" deep. Don't know what you mean about 'glides', its stand alone. Also don't understand why you're asking about the opening. It fits in the basement, I just want to secure it.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Yosemitebob

OK, you said your basement, my height in my basement is no where near 29" high. My basement is also a passthrough, so you would not want to mount across the opening as then it would be difficult to load longer items. If you install across the trailer basement, how do you get the drawers open, without crawling in to do so. I must be missing something here. I'm not saying it won't fit your basement, but if I had some idea of your measurements existing in the basement perhaps I would understand better. But never the less, not knowing much here, it sounds like you need to remove the bottom sheet so you can access the floor of the basement and bolt through so you have a good attachment.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Yosemitebob

Walt:
I just looked up your model, it looks like your basement is much higher than mine, hence the confusion. If you really want to secure the unit down, perhaps there is somewhere you can screw it through into the basement floor. Don't go far as you don't want to hit what might be under the floor. Perhaps you can secure it to the front wall instead of the floor. again you must be careful about what you may be screwing into there as well, check the other side. I use tubs in my basement that I can just pull out and put back. Best of luck with your drawers. See what you plan on storing in those to make sure that is what you really want to do.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
kellydog98

The tried and true use of velcro is what is needed here. Then you can remove said piece if wanted or need to. I would try to push the drawers up against the side so as to velcro underneath and to the side also. I would consider this before I would making holes with screws if it can be helped.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Elknih

Best thing we have in basement is the textured cabinet liner for your household cabinets. Very little weight on it and it holds like glue. Easy in and out. Nothing slides. Our lower height basement pass thru now has sheets on floor with long 30" by 15" totes. Easy in and out w handles and never slides. I'll get a pic if you want after rain
Elknih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
theeyres

Velcro sounds like a great answer. You can get it in rolls so you can use as much as you need to secure it to the floor or one side. If you are clear under the floor four sheet metal screws on the bottom would also hold it. When we had a fiver, nothing ever moved around much in the basement so you may just want to stick some of the kitchen cabinet liner under it--I really doubt it would go anywhere.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #9
WaltBennett

My experience with self-stick velcro has been not that great as heat makes it come loose too easily and the basement can get quite hot around here. I could put some small self-tapping screws into the side wall to hold one part there, but the sides of the drawer unit are too thin to do that to it. I've already got some screws into the floor to hold the inverter in place and hated doing even that - having 70 lbs of inverter sliding around wasn't an option though. Looks like that's the only safe way to go.

I've seen these things in other's 5ers and thought there were more folks with them - guess not.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #10
byrdr1

I have two drawer model and it just sits on the floor of the basement(carpet on the bottom of my basement) right next to the drop off edge. filled with my extra drop cords in there, buggies, zip tires, misc crap..It rides well..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
RedOne

Be careful of screws to the floor...there might just be a black water holding tank down there!