Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
gunsmoke

Tailgator has no fuel gauge

I recently purchased a 2004 Keystone Tailgator 189RR. The rv has a generator and fuel station that share the same fuel tank. Problem is that the rv doesn't have a fuel gauge. Any ideas on how to monitor fuel level? Thanks.
gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
gunsmoke

Tailgator toyhauler

As I posted yesterday, my 2004 Tailgator does not have a fuel gauge that I known of. Is this common with Keystone toyhaulers? Does anyone else own a Tailgator 189RR without a fuel gauge? I also own a 2009 Forest River Shockwave toyhauler 35', and its a much better built unit than the Keystone products. Will never buy another Keystone again. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

gunsmoke,

First of all, welcome to the forum. We are a group of owners and prospective owners of Keystone RV products. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of every webpage stating that we are not affiliated with nor do we represent the Keystone RV Company. They do not monitor our site nor are there any members who work for Keystone that participate here in any official capacity.

Now, as for your comments regarding your Tailgator. It is a 11 year old unit and as the model years progress, refinements in options, function and usability improve. I can well remember my 1968 Airstream. The only resemblance it has with today's models is the silver skin on the outside. Your Tailgator is much the same.

As for your question regarding the fuel gauge, as our members read your comments, those who have something to share will post to your thread. Believe me, they are not bashful about making comments.

It is to be expected that your 2009 Forest River would have improvements over your 2004 Keystone product. The 2009 Keystone's have improvements not seen in your older model as well. Construction is subjective as much as it is objective and quality really depends on what someone is looking for. As an example, a strong chassis may be important to one buyer while soft cushions may be the deciding factor for another. There's usually an RV to fit most requirements that a buyer may have.

Remember about those "improvements in design and function" everything evolves. It wasn't too many years ago that all aeroplanes had propellers and a max cruising speed of 200 MPH. Fortunately technology had given us better aeroplanes just as it has given us better RV's... That doesn't necessarily mean the "old models" are "bad" they are just not as updated......

Enjoy your choice of RV's made by the many manufacturers, it's great that we all have a choice, isn't it?

Happy Camping

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
gunsmoke

Tailgator toyhauler

Thank you for your reply John. I knew my previous comments would stir up someone. I just cannot understand the logic in not installing a fuel gauge in a toyhauler regardless of it being a 2004 model or a 2014. Anyway, I'm just curious how others are dealing with this. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
gunsmoke

Tailgator toyhauler

I finally figured out my lack of fuel gauge dilemma, and how to monitor fuel level in my fuel tank. Thanks for all your ideas and comments. Gunsmoke.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Is that a "hint of sarcasm" that I detect? Has it occurred to you that it is quite possible that none of the membership has had the problem you are facing?

Possibly you'd care to share your solutions with the forum so in the future, should a member have the same type of problem they could learn from your experiences?

Here's hoping you have a great day and please reconsider sharing with the group...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I'm sure it's not the solution he came up with, but I had flashbacks to when I was a kid putting a stick down into gas tanks on some of our farm equipment (and snowmobiles) to see how much gas they had. Check the storage area, maybe there's an old broom handle fuel meter from keystone

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote