Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
pirates55

Slide out question for 2004 Keystone Springdale

I found a spring that's about a foot long laying under my slide out yesterday when I slide it back in. It had a zip tie hooked on each end. Just curious if anyone knows where it goes so I can put it back on.

I have a 2004 Keystone Springdale.

Thanks in advance for your help.
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

This spring may have been used in conjunction with an electrical line/cord to keep it in place and secured when the slide is being moved in or out. The zip ties probably would have been fastened to the cord.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
pirates55

I will have to check it next time I run the slide out. It was back near the back of the slide behind the tires.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Kunkler

i just seen the same thing on my camper the other night. and also would like to know wht the heck its for
Kunkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Run your slide out, check for the electric line that goes from the main body of the trailer to the slide. There should be a spring attached about mid way between the trailer and the slide entry point. That spring stretches when the slide is extended to allow the line to extend. When the slide is retracted, the spring gets shorter, pulling the electric line toward the trailer preventing it from drooping toward the ground. Essentially, the spring holds the electric line up close to the trailer body to keep it from getting dragged on the ground or caught on anything you may drive over. Some manufacturers use plastic tie wraps to attach the spring, over time, the plastic deteriorates and will break. If that's your situation, either retie them with more plastic tie wraps, or get a couple of metal key split rings. Put them on the ends of the spring and it'll make a much more permanent repair.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
pirates55

Just seen this post but I fixed mine with the tie wraps yesterday. Its very simple and once I climbed under my camper and seen it had another one hooked to the wires I easily found where the second one was suppose to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Run your slide out, check for the electric line that goes from the main body of the trailer to the slide. There should be a spring attached about mid way between the trailer and the slide entry point. That spring stretches when the slide is extended to allow the line to extend. When the slide is retracted, the spring gets shorter, pulling the electric line toward the trailer preventing it from drooping toward the ground. Essentially, the spring holds the electric line up close to the trailer body to keep it from getting dragged on the ground or caught on anything you may drive over. Some manufacturers use plastic tie wraps to attach the spring, over time, the plastic deteriorates and will break. If that's your situation, either retie them with more plastic tie wraps, or get a couple of metal key split rings. Put them on the ends of the spring and it'll make a much more permanent repair.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
capecodder

Hi does anyone know where I can purchase these springs? Ours rotted then crumbled. Tried using bungee but does not have the proper travel. Thanks
capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #8
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodder View Post
Hi does anyone know where I can purchase these springs? Ours rotted then crumbled. Tried using bungee but does not have the proper travel. Thanks
I would start with a Keystone dealer local to you. If no luck, call Keystone directly.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #9
jsmith948

On our trailer, the springs look to be what we used to have on the farm house screen doors. I would try a hardware store, or one of the big box stores. Probably WAY cheaper than an RV store.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
capecodder

Thanks. I have an email in to Keystone CS, no reply. Sent one to Lippert and they replied with a link to their store for "Flex Gaurd". Not sure what, or how it is used but I did not see a spring in the view. Yes I could get an aftermarket spring but its hard to know poundage, gauge, and travel (length) needed. I will post when I find solution .
Thanks again
capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #11
davidbow43

correct

john has a great description of what the spring does. it keeps the slack out of the electric cord while your slide goes in and out. as for the person that needs a new spring i would also just go to hardware store and just buy a spring the with similar length and diameter. just make sure when you attach it it will stretch enough to keep the cable up out of the way, but not too tight that it pulls the cable out of its connection.
davidbow43 is offline   Reply With Quote