Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #21
curlyfungirl

I was gearing more on the side of what do you do when going out on an excursion. Does anyone use the dog stroller things or just keep em on a leash?
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfungirl View Post
I was gearing more on the side of what do you do when going out on an excursion. Does anyone use the dog stroller things or just keep em on a leash?
With or without the dogs? With the dogs --- on a leash. Not sure what you mean about "dog stroller things" ????
Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #23
hankaye

curlyfungirl, Howdy;

Always a leash. There are some areas where an off leash romp
is OK, in dog runs that are fenced, open areas where the dogs
are allowed to run free and the management approves. My biggest
'Pet Peeve' is the person out walking their dog (generally resembling
a furry dust mop minus the pole), that trots around without a leash and
conveniently doesn't see their 'baby' make solid deposits. When the lack
of leash is pointed out or the deposit mentioned the usual answer is "It's
ok, they don't cause problems / that was there before we got to it." The
problem is when their 'baby' trots up to another dog and the other dog doesn't
appreciate the intrusion into their space. The offended one growls, snaps at,
the intruder and becomes the 'bad guy' for defending it's space. I do my
level best to keep an eye out for other dogs while Rascal is getting his exercise.
As a Border Collie and fairly well trained, he will lay down at distance
when instructed to do so and stays until released. He does want to herd the cats
and the furry babies as well, just as long as they (the furry babies), don't
attempt to make an inappropriate frontal introduction.
When not in the "free play zones" he is always on leash. Generally it's the law
in most localities.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #24
chris199

Our 18 mo old Yorkie, Reagan, goes everywhere with us. Took her in the truck with me everywhere as a pup. Maybe she just got used to it. We are very fortunate...travels well....long trips..short weekend trips.

We use a small box between us...up front. Has a clip to secure her with her harness. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390587934282.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	4873 She sleeps 85% of the time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:21 AM   #25
Mark TC

This is my fishing buddy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390645216.285113.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	4874  
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #26
Jca3

We adopted a border collie mix over the holidays and are wondering how she will be this year. She, like the pointer mentioned above, is never quiet so I hope we have the same good luck camping and she will mellow out. So far it has not been good in the car because every car she sees outside should be chased so lots of running around either in the kennel or on the back seats.

Our 05 chevy truck has a lovely space for dogs when the back seats fold down. Our old border collie/lab has traveled back there for years. She would go for more miles than we want to travel in a day without a whimper. What a great camping dog. We hope the young one will sense the difference when we are out and enjoy it as much as old Maggie has over the years.

I used to have another border collie and a great pyranees. They were major guard dogs at home and would bark, but when camping they would let people walk right by without a sound. Keeping our fingers crossed for March at Zion National Park.

Oh and always on a leash. Unleashed dogs that "are just being friendly" run up to leashed dogs and cause a fight every time. Such an irritant because my big border collie/lab looks like a small bear and all dogs hate her on sight. Many a walk has been ruined because someone thinks there dog is so well trained, but it won't return when they call them.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #27
CHIEF MK

Our dogs, a 95 pound chocolate Lab, and a 5 pound Toy Fox Terrier go everywhere with us anyway, so taking them when we travel is easy. I think it takes longer to pack up all the dog stuff than it does ours. LOL!

The last trip we was on our little dog was being a pest, in that if we let him off the leash he would wander over to another camp.(not good) They should always be on a leash. Anyway to solve this problem, we bought a fold up fence from a Petco where we were camped. I had noticed a lot of folks who's camps looked like they were very seasoned traveling with pets had them . That's where the idea came from. They can fold out to a square, rectangle, or an octagon. They come in different heights. We got a short one, that we knew he couldn't jump over. They also can be connected together if you buy another one. There pretty neat. After that we were able to enjoy ourselves.

I have a milk crate I keep in the bed of my truck with a water bowl and 2 gallons of water. Keep a couple rolls of poop bags in the truck. Leashes are a must.

Bring them there favorite toys and treats of course. We stash there pet beds under our bed during the day, and then break them out at night. We keep all their chow in the pass through.

Like someone already mentioned, bring a couple of towels fro them. I have a water proof rear seat cover for the truck.
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #28
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Post restraints

I respect others concerns of pets traveling in TH garages. It should be noted that these pets are kenneled and I am sure adequately secured to the garage floor. It is not unusual for these garages to have remote temperature sensors and in some cases cameras as noted by an OP. I find it interesting that some of those with concerns and who rather have their pets in the rear of their trucks less kennels have not mentioned the restraint system used in securing their pets so when quick stops are made their pets do not go flying. You wear a seatbelt for your own safety -- give your pet the same respect. Pets are part of the family and I am sure everyone has considered the pros and cons of how to travel with their pets before selecting one. Excellent comments on how to conduct oneself at a campsite with your pets. Just my 2 cents.
Be Safe
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #29
curlyfungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
With or without the dogs? With the dogs --- on a leash. Not sure what you mean about "dog stroller things" ????
A "dog stroller thing" is a stroller for a dog.
Superlow Sportster
2009-2012 VRI
Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #30
curlyfungirl

Wow. I know that dogs need to be on a leash. My question was...does anyone use a dog stroller or use a leash.

Always a leash. There are some areas where an off leash romp
is OK, in dog runs that are fenced, open areas where the dogs
are allowed to run free and the management approves. My biggest
'Pet Peeve' is the person out walking their dog (generally resembling
a furry dust mop minus the pole), that trots around without a leash and
conveniently doesn't see their 'baby' make solid deposits. When the lack
of leash is pointed out or the deposit mentioned the usual answer is "It's
ok, they don't cause problems / that was there before we got to it." The
problem is when their 'baby' trots up to another dog and the other dog doesn't
appreciate the intrusion into their space. The offended one growls, snaps at,
the intruder and becomes the 'bad guy' for defending it's space. I do my
level best to keep an eye out for other dogs while Rascal is getting his exercise.
As a Border Collie and fairly well trained, he will lay down at distance
when instructed to do so and stays until released. He does want to herd the cats
and the furry babies as well, just as long as they (the furry babies), don't
attempt to make an inappropriate frontal introduction.
When not in the "free play zones" he is always on leash. Generally it's the law
in most localities.

hank[/QUOTE]
Superlow Sportster
2009-2012 VRI
Old 02-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfungirl View Post
A "dog stroller thing" is a stroller for a dog.
curlyfungirl -
Having trouble with a "stroller for a dog". I know about baby strollers - a 3 or 4 wheeled "baby carriage" The baby or toddler sits or lies in the stroller which gets pushed by mom or dad.

Question -- Does the dog sit in the stroller like a baby and get pushed around the campsite by its owner? I'm having trouble visualizing a dog, assuming a small one, in a stroller of any description.

Help me out here.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's one example, but I might add, if it were me and my dog, I'd be in the stroller and he would be pulling me as I sipped an "adult beverage" on his evening walk......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog_Stroller-Bike.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	5083  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #33
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's one example, but I might add, if it were me and my dog, I'd be in the stroller and he would be pulling me as I sipped an "adult beverage" on his evening walk......
I was afraid that a dog stroller would be exactly that ... a dog stroller! Somehow, I can't imagine any pet owner putting a "fit" dog in this thing and pushing it around the campsite - or anywhere for that matter.

The only reason that I might think of is that the dog may not be able to walk. After all, isn't that what a stroller is for? To push a baby/toddler that is too young to walk?

But a healthy dog? Really? Too much for one night. Life is full of surprises.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #34
Javi

Quote:
I was afraid that a dog stroller would be exactly that ... a dog stroller! Somehow, I can't imagine any pet owner putting a dog in this thing and pushing it around the campsite - or anywhere for that matter.

The only reason that I might think of is that the dog may not be able to walk. After all, isn't that what a stroller is for? To push a baby/toddler that is too young to walk?

But a dog? Really? Too much for one night. Life is full of surprises.
Our neighbors have a dog that had its back broken and somehow lived. They walk it in a contraption that has wheels in the back and the dog uses its front legs normally.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Our daughter has a rescue golden retriever that is missing one front leg. He is now pushing 17 years old and they still walk him every day. He hobbles along hopping on one front leg. They tried to get him into a stroller similar to the one I attached, but he wants no part of it. I'd think part of "walking the dog" is that the dog also gets some exercise, so I'd think that a leash is not only easier to pack, but also healthier for both the dog and its owner. For "special needs dogs" I suppose some accommodation may be needed, but the healthy ones "oughta be walking"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #36
curlyfungirl

They are available online at most pet retail sites. There is a harness to keep them in and also a screen that zips in place to keep bugs and sun out. Our dogs have really short legs and thought that this might be an option for our fellas. If we have a super long excursion planned we will probably find a doggy day care for the day.

Quote:
curlyfungirl -
Having trouble with a "stroller for a dog". I know about baby strollers - a 3 or 4 wheeled "baby carriage" The baby or toddler sits or lies in the stroller which gets pushed by mom or dad.

Question -- Does the dog sit in the stroller like a baby and get pushed around the campsite by its owner? I'm having trouble visualizing a dog, assuming a small one, in a stroller of any description.

Help me out here.
Superlow Sportster
2009-2012 VRI