Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
chiniakbay

Replacing bulbs in RV

We cannot figure out how to get the bulbs out. We would like to replace with LED. These are kind of a flat bulb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
!
We got them...........duhhhh, just pull out !
chiniakbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
gkainz

Don't feel bad - I posted a "how many RVers does it take to change a light bulb" a while back when I couldn't see how to remove mine, either. Didn't want to break something - Lord knows I've broken enough things by "doing before thinking"
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
abneynormal

??

mine just push in. they use the same plug in design as the marker lights have, just a bigger bulb head. some old rv's used twist in bulbs.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Pmedic4

RV light bulbs - R&R with LEDs

Definitely found some struggles getting old T10 (flat blade with 2 wires) to come out of the sockets. They seem to 'weld' themselves into place, so often difficult to get out, and personally, I don't have any secret for removing them. If you know of one, let us all know.
We bought our RV as a left-over, and it was on the showroom floor(our dealer has a huge indoor display area). About 1/4 of the bulbs were burnt out, and the rest you could tell they had been left on a long time, and assume they didn't always go through at night and turn the lights out on all the RVs. So, I think that's part of the reason, at least ours were hard to remove.
When I replaced them, I thought I'd go with LED's for energy savings, and just longevity of the bulb. The reason why I mention this is it seemed with the RV bulbs it was difficult to get them to make good contact in the socket, and to confuse it even more, the LED bulbs have a polarity, so you have to put them in with the correct orientation. I would insert the bulb, wiggle it, if it didn't come one, I would flip it over and wiggle it again. Even then, it seems like sometimes, they just were finicky about working correctly - but generally, once I got them in and working they seem to keep working. Overall, I personally like the little panel type of lights, which come with different connectors, but with these, they are small square panels with a self-adhesive pad on the back you still on to the top of the fixture, and then plug the little wire into the proper connector. The 48 LED panels were very bright, and a good bright blue-white color, and I've found them for about $5 each, or $9.50 on Amazon. Of course, we only used them about 1/2 a year, but I expect them to last a long time.
Big plus, they are cool to the touch - the regular bulbs get exceptionally hot! Be very careful if you want to take one out right after it was on.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote