Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
byrdr1

Smile Campfire in a Can review

I know all of us like that sitting around the campfire thing.
BUT my wife has asthma and she can’t sit around a roaring wood fire too much. A lot depends on the wood. So to beat the hauling of wood and the trying to get a fire started and all the other stuff that goes along with it. We have looked for around year at the red campfire things and few others. The other week someone sent me a link to the Campfire in Can portable campfire.
Pricey was my first thought, same ole, same ole thing. BUT I got to reading the reviews and the majority were positive. So I bit the bullet and ordered one before our last trip to New Bern, NC. It arrived the Monday before we were leaving. I opened it up and liked what I saw. But still was thinking if this thing is a bust I will ship it right back for a refund of my money. I told the wife it had come and see wanted to see it, "it’s nice" is about all she had to said.
So off to the campground we go... NO wood to haul just an extra propane tank... My daughter, son-in-law and grandson came down Thursday so we planned to have it going just before dark. The campsite had nice new campfire rings and we set it up like the directions said in one of them. After a few minutes we had nice warm fire and it’s adjustable for height and warmness. Friday night my sister-in-law and her husband came down and we set this up again. We had a nice night around a fire with NO smoke, NO waiting for it to die down. Just turn it off and few minutes of cool down time and put the lid back on it. store in the back of my truck, ready to go again Saturday night. A little wine and few suds and we had another nice night around the fire. My wife really enjoyed being able to sit around the fire without the repercussions of her asthma kicking up. I liked not having the wood to deal with or coals... Just thought I would share my experience with this product. We hear all the bad things that happen to people with various products; I just figured I can share a positive experience with a product.
I do not represent the company just a consumer of the product.
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
tileman

Good post thanks for the info glad it's working out for you.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Murphsmom

Another advantage

We were camped at Cape Disappointment WA this summer. There was a campfire ban in all Washington public campgrounds due to the high fire danger. We were walking round the campground one evening and spotted a family sitting around their blazing campfire. Naturally we wondered why they could have a fire and we couldn't even have so much as a briquette burning. It turned out that Propane fires were acceptable. That was our introduction to Campfire in a Can. Might just have to look into them more carefully for the next season.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
KJcachers

We love ours too. That big price tag gets smaller every time we use it and don't pay for firewood.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
We love ours too. That big price tag gets smaller every time we use it and don't pay for firewood.
Firewood here is around $175 for a cord of fir and $200+ for madrone or oak.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Andymon

What are the dimensions of the Campfire in a Can?
Thanks!

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
KJcachers

Can't bring your own wood to virginia state parks so you are forced to pay their ransom for green wood.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #8
crash

We always bring our own wood to the parks in Va. have to sneak it in but like they say ,out of sight out of mind
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

It's "sort of" the same in Michigan. You can't take firewood from one area to another (legally). The Emeral Ash Borer is the reason. There's a "wood check" station at the Mackinaw Bridge and no wood can go from the UP to the LP or the other way. More and more private campgrounds are posting signs, "No outside firewood".

As an observation, in most of the campgrounds we stayed in on this last trip, there were signs stating "No Outside Firewood."

Maybe it's a "profit generator" to sell firewood, maybe there's an agricultural reason, maybe there's some other reason. Around here, it's OK to take firewood to a campground "locally" but not OK to take it across the state to another area.

It's not "just camping wood" rather it's all firewood. You can't go to one area, load a trailer with wood, take it home and cut/split it for your fireplace or for camping use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
Murphsmom

Wood

In the west we have pine bark beetle infestation, which is the reason we see miles and miles of dead, red trees. That infestation has played a big part in providing fuel for the huge forest fires we've had in the past several years.

We have, however, been known to buy green, unburnable wood at a campground, store it over the winter and then use it the following summer at the same campground. Campfire in a Can is looking better and better.

_______
2013 Cougar 25rlswe
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Jables

We had a long fire ban this summer in BC. I also used a propane campfire, the first night, other campers were warning me about the ban, then the caretaker came down and thought it was pretty cool. The next night the conservation officer was about to throw a fit at us but he realized it was legit. It was great. My only complaint would be that they do Hoover up the propane. We used about 10lbs a day, morning warm up & evening socializing.
Jables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
homer3

Campfir in a Can

sounds like this would work really well out here in CA. Ocean camping along what is know as the RINCON between Ventura and Santa Barbara.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
byrdr1

Campfire in a Can review

I will be testing my campfire in a can again this weekend. We are headed out for a Halloween camping trip and that Northern cold front is making its way across NC right now. They are calling for some low 30s and high 20s this weekend at night.

Randy Sent this!!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 10-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
crash

We will be heading out tuesday -sunday to the KOA in hatteras for our anniv. trip gonna have a great time gonna have a halloween fire get together w/ family that is meeting us there from New Jersey
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
rschad

Reading these posts and seeing some talking about bringing firewood into a park gave me shutters. Moving wood from one area to another is the best way to transport disease and pests. You just should not do it or you risk destroying the beauty of the park you visit.

I use one of the propane campfires and also have enjoyed it, don't have the campfire in a can but another model, cost $80.00 at Costco for an 18" circular firepit, very nice.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
We had a long fire ban this summer in BC. I also used a propane campfire, the first night, other campers were warning me about the ban, then the caretaker came down and thought it was pretty cool. The next night the conservation officer was about to throw a fit at us but he realized it was legit. It was great. My only complaint would be that they do Hoover up the propane. We used about 10lbs a day, morning warm up & evening socializing.
Hi Where did you buy yours from?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Jables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hi Where did you buy yours from?
I bought from can tire, but Lordco sells the Outland fire bowl quite reasonably. Can't remember the part# but it's in their rv book.
Jables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
Jca3

http://www.amazon.com/Campfire-In-Ca...pfire+in+a+can

It seems small in this photo. Does it put out enough flames to warm and look like a fire? Does your bigger propane tank sit beside it?
Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
kandd

I saw that Amazon had a similar unit branded as Camco for around 120.00. Anyone know difference.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2
kandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
byrdr1

It's about 15 inches across. We ran it Thursday night when the temps dropped into mid 30s. It ran warm but sucked the propane. I used the last of a 20lb tank up in around 2&1/2 hours. When it ran out it just quit burning....cool down was 10-15 minutes put it up. Not sure it would warm up a very cold night. But still was nice! Best used for the ambiance of campfire.

Randy Sent this!!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES