Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2023, 01:44 PM   #1
bcbaric

Girard Tankless Water Heater - Stay on?

Used our Carbon trailer for the first time this weekend (2023). it came with the tankless water heater.

We were dry camping and to conserve water, when showering I turn the water off at the shower head while I soap up... when I turn the water back on I super hot water, freezing cold water then after about 30 seconds it comes back to the pre-set temp.

Curious if anyone has tips or if there is a way to keep the heater for running for a minute or so after the hot water stops flowing.

Thanks!
bcbaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There was a thread on that:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ht=Solar+water

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:53 PM   #3
Mikendebbie

If you dry camp - the Girard is the wrong water heater. There is no fix for dry camping. I think you should buy and install a traditional Suburban water heater and sell the Girard.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:10 PM   #4
Max23

Even with our tank heater, when doing the navy shower, when turning back on there is a short burst of very hot water. Not sure why bit it is very short and don't think there is really any perfect way of doing the navy shower.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:54 AM   #5
Canonman

Actually, there is a reason why. This description from a 2015 post by Tinman:
"The blast of cold water has to be stopped at the shower cold/hot valve. I am not talking about the on/off valve at shower head. Think about this! When you close the valve at the shower head the cold water has more pressure behind it that the hot water coming from the heater. That means cold water will push the hot water back into the tubing until both hot and cold pressure equalize... YOU NEED A CHECK VALVE AS CLOSE TO THE SHOWER VALVE AS POSSIBLE ON THE HOT WATER SIDE."

I saw a solution in Trailer Life that used a KES Shut Off Valve.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I installed it between the shower faucet and the hose to the shower handle. If it's more convenient, you can install the valve between the hose and the shower head itself. You simply use the new valve to turn off the water while soaping up then turn it back on to rinse. No more cold water blast.
Really simple and cheap. I ordered the part for $8 and installed it in about 3 minutes. It works great for the "Navy showers" required when dry camping and conserving fresh water.
Hope this helps your problem. Might be worth a try before changing out the W/H.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater