Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2023, 04:16 PM   #1
jasin1

campground liability waivers

Booked a campground and they don’t confirm until you send back a signed acknowledgment of rules and a liability waiver is that normal? don’t remember having to do that before..guess it’s nothing …just seems so open ended and broad
Old 06-22-2023, 04:28 PM   #2
jsb5717

Hmm…never had that when booking. I have had such forms when checking it, though.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:45 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Brian that would be a big red flag to me. Is it some sort of high end exclusive place? I've never had it happen and would have a very direct conversation with them to get an explanation and rationale for it. A campground with a history of a lot of problems with folks not abiding by the rules, or, a campground that is looking for a way to keep your money (does it say if you are evicted for cause there are no refunds?) might do this but it's not normal in my experience anywhere I've been. Upon check in at places I'm given the rules with the expectation of following but that's about it. A liability waiver? Do they expect you to get hurt there? Utilities burn up the trailer? A shooting range in the middle of the campground? Sounds flaky to me.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:48 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I'm guessing liability would depend on many factors. The state laws, maybe municipality laws, the validity of document you sign (waiver), and the nature of the damage. I don't know if I'd feel all warm and fuzzy doing all that. The cg would have to be very special/desirable for me to consider that. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 05:08 PM   #5
jasin1

yeah i can understand when you sign up for a risky thing like skydiving or bungee jumping but seems a little weird to sign away my right for property damage if the owner or one if their workers was drunk and wrecked into my truck or rv..i’d just want things repaired but the way i read it, id have no recourse. .it says anyone associated with the place for any reason… also says they can use pictures of anyone staying there in their advertising or for whatever purpose they want and again you can’t refuse that
Old 06-22-2023, 07:00 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Still something wrong. I've seen pictures of hundreds (maybe thousands) of RVs parked in campgrounds on videos/pictures of their businesses. Mine has been in them. I don't care and neither would anyone else I know of unless they tried to catch in some unfortunate moment. I refer back to my initial post.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:14 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's just one reason NOT to sign a waiver...

We were in a private campground in Las Vegas. There was maybe 3' of grass at each site. The campground maintenance came by one morning with a riding lawn mower, cut my water hose and cut the shore power cord at the next site. I just got angry, said a few words under my breath and changed out the hose for one of my spares. The next door neighbor wasn't so easy going. He carried his shore power cord up to the campground office wanting them to pay for it. They pulled out the waiver he had signed and shrugged their shoulders....

That taught me that I'm not staying in a campground that insists I absolve them of all liability for what their workers damage or destroy....

As Usual, YMMV....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:48 AM   #8
spade117

It's been ahwile, but I think I've seen this once at a place where there is a creek and waterfalls that are able to be walked in/climbed. There was something you signed about the risk and them not being liable for any injuries.
Old 06-23-2023, 04:21 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's just one reason NOT to sign a waiver...

We were in a private campground in Las Vegas. There was maybe 3' of grass at each site. The campground maintenance came by one morning with a riding lawn mower, cut my water hose and cut the shore power cord at the next site. I just got angry, said a few words under my breath and changed out the hose for one of my spares. The next door neighbor wasn't so easy going. He carried his shore power cord up to the campground office wanting them to pay for it. They pulled out the waiver he had signed and shrugged their shoulders....

That taught me that I'm not staying in a campground that insists I absolve them of all liability for what their workers damage or destroy....

As Usual, YMMV....
In my thinking there shouldn't be "an out" for neglect, careless or dangerous behaviors but I'm no lawyer. Waivers are often like the "park at your own risk" signs in a pay garage. They are there to discourage folks from making a claim but rarely hold up in court but there lies the issue, court and the associated costs. A person from out of state won't likely file a suit for the cost of an electric cord.

I can see a waiver for a "risky" activity however in my thinking there should be a "reasonable expectation" that the fee for camping would mean the cg would be responsible for maintaining the facility and not cutting down a tree and crushing your truck or trailer.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:02 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Still something wrong. I've seen pictures of hundreds (maybe thousands) of RVs parked in campgrounds on videos/pictures of their businesses. Mine has been in them. I don't care and neither would anyone else I know of unless they tried to catch in some unfortunate moment. I refer back to my initial post.
I just found it interesting that it was spelled out that candid photography is used for advertising and lawful purposes and you won’t be compensated or notified.

Can imagine someone or their kids being the face of a national campground chain marketing campaign and photos all over the internet and printed material without having a say in the whole thing…again far fetched but just find it interesting what is expected to be so easily signed away…i could care less about a photo of my rv though
Old 06-23-2023, 07:08 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
In my thinking there shouldn't be "an out" for neglect, careless or dangerous behaviors but I'm no lawyer. Waivers are often like the "park at your own risk" signs in a pay garage. They are there to discourage folks from making a claim but rarely hold up in court but there lies the issue, court and the associated costs. A person from out of state won't likely file a suit for the cost of an electric cord.

I can see a waiver for a "risky" activity however in my thinking there should be a "reasonable expectation" that the fee for camping would mean the cg would be responsible for maintaining the facility and not cutting down a tree and crushing your truck or trailer.
yeah all businesses are required to have commercial liability insurance…Why would they need it if they make you sign a form absolving them of basically anything you could imagine happening by them or anyone invited or related to the campground owners.
the bad part is you pay for the site and payment is processed and then you receive the email saying “ great your all set! ….now just sign this paper and we will see you soon!”
Old 06-23-2023, 08:23 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
yeah all businesses are required to have commercial liability insurance…Why would they need it if they make you sign a form absolving them of basically anything you could imagine happening by them or anyone invited or related to the campground owners.
the bad part is you pay for the site and payment is processed and then you receive the email saying “ great your all set! ….now just sign this paper and we will see you soon!”
THAT should be disclosed BEFORE taking money, yet another red flag to me.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:49 AM   #13
RJS3791RD

Unfortunately I have experienced more and more business transactions where there is an attempt to mitigate risk in such a manner. In fact, recently there have been instances where they want yo conduct background checks and credit checks! It has gotten ridiculous!

In this particular situation, the manner in which they are executing the signing of the document will most unlikely invalidate the waiver should the situations ever go to court. The execution of any binding contract requires presentation of the documents, witnessing and cooling off periods. Waivers as well as “Release and Hold Harmless” in most instances are scare tactics.

The presence of liability insurance does not negate the business need for such a process. In some cases, the insurance company may be requiring the business to use these waivers. I cannot imagine the cost of a campground liability insurance policy. Anything to control and reduce that cost yo the business will be considered by the business owner. So, yes I understand why they are doing it. I don’t agree but i understand.

If this location is somewhere I really want to be, then no - For me, the waiver is not a deal breaker. Because when it comes down to taking legal action, I operate under the “my attorney is bigger than your attorney” philosophy.
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:37 AM   #14
flyingjack

RJS3791RD: very similar pre-registration at a park we booked for a week on TX side of Lake Texoma. Manager told me that it was standard for RV parks in his area and didn't think it was a big deal. We decided in the long run it probably wasn't worth hassling over.
YMMV
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:07 AM   #15
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

A majority of my bookings are at Florida State Parks and KOA's, and never requested signing a liability waiver. The very least they want to see the records for dog shots.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:06 PM   #16
notanlines

When asked for certificate of insurance at Seasons in the Sun in Florida years ago I told the lady that I would require the same from them. She didn’t quite know what to say or do, asked if we had stayed before and then said don’t worry about it.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #17
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
When asked for certificate of insurance at Seasons in the Sun in Florida years ago I told the lady that I would require the same from them. She didn’t quite know what to say or do, asked if we had stayed before and then said don’t worry about it.
What I was thinking..I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground