Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2023, 07:12 AM   #1
Camping family

Changing campers

While have had the 5th wheel 3 years. Wife wants to trade it in on a different one. Looking for something that would have a full size sofa and room for two recliners outside kitchen bath with seat in shower. It’s just the two of us. No bunks
Any suggestions
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
While have had the 5th wheel 3 years. Wife wants to trade it in on a different one. Looking for something that would have a full size sofa and room for two recliners outside kitchen bath with seat in shower. It’s just the two of us. No bunks
Any suggestions
Start by checking he payload on your F350. Use it to determine how heavy a pin your truck can safely carry. Normal guestimate is 23 percent of gross weight of camper add passenger and other cargo weigh plus hitch weight. for a 12K gross weight camper pin weight will be in the payload (all stuff added) will be in the 3500 lb range depending on how heavy the hitch is, how heavy the passengers are and amount of stuff in the truck and added since you bought it.

Anyway, work backwards and figure out the most gross weight you are comfortable with and start looking at specs (ignore published pin weights and just pay attention to gross trailer weight). Once you find the range of 5th wheels that your truck is suited to, perhaps have a serious conversation about what features you like or dislike and the finances, etc. This will allow you to shop with some ability to zero in on the camper you like. If you go to a lot and look at the 43' 5th wheels (weigh 20K lbs) you and your wife will probably like the features only length/space can afford. If you are willing to buy a new truck, then shop till you drop.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
rhagfo

George, why make a simple task seem so complicated?
OP has the truck and hitch, grab the wife and head to the scales with all truck tanks full. Weigh the truck, front and rear, take the total from GVWR, that is what is available for pin weight.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 02:09 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
George, why make a simple task seem so complicated?
OP has the truck and hitch, grab the wife and head to the scales with all truck tanks full. Weigh the truck, front and rear, take the total from GVWR, that is what is available for pin weight.
I just like to see you pop out of the woodwork to argue. I think I gave solid advice. If you have some solid advice, feel free to expound but please don't knock my advice. Guy has a payload sticker and at this point in a search, it makes sense to me to make a guestimate of how much trailer he can haul rather than head down to a weigh station. An approximation will allow them to line up prospective 5h wheels. If the payload is cutting it close, perhaps a trip to the scales might be in order. Help folks and try and not criticize those trying to help; I am surprised you didn't call me a weight police, a term you seem to be fond of tossing around. Go in peace.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:36 AM   #5
notanlines

Actually I thought George made some good points in his post. There is a veritable myriad of 5th wheels available and not all towable by his F350. Everything the OP mentioned is standard on our Jayco, but it is a pull-behind and 40' long. Not what most people would like to tow on a regular basis. It is a buyer's market right now. Prices are fair and the selection is wonderful.
OP, keep us up on your progress.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:10 AM   #6
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Actually I thought George made some good points in his post. There is a veritable myriad of 5th wheels available and not all towable by his F350. Everything the OP mentioned is standard on our Jayco, but it is a pull-behind and 40' long. Not what most people would like to tow on a regular basis. It is a buyer's market right now. Prices are fair and the selection is wonderful.
I’m checking around. Called several dealers just waiting for a response
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:15 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Did I miss something? I don't see where he stated that he has a F350 anywhere. Could he just have a F250 instead?

On review.....it was George that assumed that the OP has a F350! Never saw a thing from the OP about truck size.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:20 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Did I miss something? I don't see where he stated that he has a F350 anywhere. Could he just have a F250 instead?

On review.....it was George that assumed that the OP has a F350! Never saw a thing from the OP about truck size.

Profile: 2022 F350
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:36 AM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Profile: 2022 F350
Gotcha.....I was just looking for something within his original post or in a signature line.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:59 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
I was looking in the OP for the word truck... nope its not there. Technically George's post violates the site rules for being off topic

Asking for suggestions on a new 5th wheel would logically have to include the tow vehicle, it a prime consideration. Now, if we're looking at what the OP asked for and tow vehicle capabilities would be at the top of the list, then look at your post using your criteria, wouldn't you say your post is the one off topic? For your review: "Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track". Truck? Yes. Site rules? Not so much.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I was looking in the OP for the word truck... nope its not there. Technically George's post violates the site rules for being off topic
Since your post didn't have anything to do with the original post, perhaps it violates forum rules for being off topic?
Old 07-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #12
xrated

Quote:
I would hope that you are joking when you made that post. If you were, maybe add a smiley or a "LOL" next time. If you were serious......well, I'll let the mods handle that part of it.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:19 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
And so does your post. I see that sourdough (Danny) has already addressed this, so I will defer to his moderation of the post.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:23 AM   #14
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Hopefully I don't get in trouble, but I couldn't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart Guy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	44521  
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:28 AM   #15
dutchmensport

The Montana and the Montana High Country fifth wheel lines will meet your requirements for shower and bathroom. Most "Montana's" are set up as a couple trailer. Front living room models are absolutely awesome!

If you want a front kitchen model, Alpine's are the way to go:

Click here
Old 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM   #16
dutchmensport

Quote:

Check the OP's profile...
When folks don't have the information in their signature block, this is the place to go. Folks usually list their tow vehicles there.

Here's the OP's:

About Camping family
First Name
Bob
Location - City
Jacksonville
State or Province
North Carolina
RV Model
29 rks
RV Model Year
Tow Vehicle
Ford 2022 F350
Biography
Enjoy camping and fishing
Interests
Wood working
Occupation
Retired LEO
Signature
Bob/Kay
Jacksonville, Nc
2020 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel 29 rks
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:46 AM   #17
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Check the OP's profile...
When folks don't have the information in their signature block, this is the place to go. Folks usually list their tow vehicles there.

Here's the OP's:

About Camping family
First Name
Bob
Location - City
Jacksonville
State or Province
North Carolina
RV Model
29 rks
RV Model Year
Tow Vehicle
Ford 2022 F350
Biography
Enjoy camping and fishing
Interests
Wood working
Occupation
Retired LEO
Signature
Bob/Kay
Jacksonville, Nc
2020 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel 29 rks
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Thanks, that has already been pointed out to me. Just having a senior moment today, that's all.

Old 07-11-2023, 03:50 PM   #18
dutchmensport

Quote:
Thanks, that has already been pointed out to me. Just having a senior moment today, that's all.
I didn't read all the posts.

Hey ... off subject and talking about senior moments, here's one 'on me!'

We're camping right now. I was getting ready to go out on a hike. I wanted my cell phone. My watch and cell phone are tied together for "Samsung health"... you know steps, miles walked, all of that.

Well, I could not find my phone any where in the camper or the truck. So back in the camper I went. I told my wife I was going to hit the "find" feature on my watch. I hit the "find" and my phone started beeping.

Oh, my phone is over here.... So I looked around, couldn't find it. But I hear it beeping. I turn around,... no, it's over here, can't find it there either. I hear it, it's right here somewhere! I turn and move and it's still RIGHT THERE! Where in the world is it! Dang!

Then my wife says .... check your pants pocket! OH DUH!
Old 07-11-2023, 06:37 PM   #19
rhagfo

Well assuming that the OP’s F350 is SRW(not stated in profile), likely left the factory with a payload in the 4,000 +/-. They may be able to go as large as 15,000# GVWR depending on pin percentage.
More importantly when looking keep an eye on the brochure listed carrying capacity of the new 5th wheel. I have seen way too many with extremely low CCC, like less than 2,000 on a 40’ 5th wheel. This was also a unit with the raised rear kitchen or living room so lots of storage, but low CCC.
Good luck with your hunt.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 06:49 PM   #20
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I didn't read all the posts.

Hey ... off subject and talking about senior moments, here's one 'on me!'

We're camping right now. I was getting ready to go out on a hike. I wanted my cell phone. My watch and cell phone are tied together for "Samsung health"... you know steps, miles walked, all of that.

Well, I could not find my phone any where in the camper or the truck. So back in the camper I went. I told my wife I was going to hit the "find" feature on my watch. I hit the "find" and my phone started beeping.

Oh, my phone is over here.... So I looked around, couldn't find it. But I hear it beeping. I turn around,... no, it's over here, can't find it there either. I hear it, it's right here somewhere! I turn and move and it's still RIGHT THERE! Where in the world is it! Dang!

Then my wife says .... check your pants pocket! OH DUH!
LOL....that could easily be me. I have a case for mine that the phone snaps into, then the case has a clip that you can clip to your pants pocket or belt or whatever. I almost always use that, but every once in a while, if I'm just running outside to do something, I'll just put it in my rear pocket of my pants. Then when I come back in the house and need my phone I go get the phone case........And the phone is gone.....almost the same thing, so I totally understand.