Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2023, 05:30 AM   #1
Dcamjones

Parking Pad Question

New 5th Toyhauler owner…
Getting prices on parking pad, concrete. Dealership says should get concrete. I am seeing a lot of folks parking on gravel. Google searches say it is ok to. I want some real world experience though. Is it ok to park long term on a site prepped/leveled and 6 inch of gravel?
Dcamjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:57 AM   #2
RJS3791RD

I added a 65’ gravel pad to my property 10 years ago. I have parked two different class A RVs as well as my 5’er. I’ve never had any issues. I have 5” compressed gravel topped with two inches of limestone flake that was rolled.

PLUS it is much more friendly on the wallet !
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:59 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Concrete is good but can be costly. Gravel is an option, but the variable that is in play here, is the type of gravel being contemplated. Something like 1" minus crushed stone probably isn't going to be ideal to be sitting on for any length of time due to the sharp edges, but something like a top layer of sure-pack (flake-type stone) should be perfectly fine. The other issue to consider is the inevitable depressions the tires and front landing gear might create in the gravel/stone pad after sitting for a while. With proper placement of boards on the ground I think you would be fine with the right gravel base.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:26 AM   #4
Dcamjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Concrete is good but can be costly. Gravel is an option, but the variable that is in play here, is the type of gravel being contemplated. Something like 1" minus crushed stone probably isn't going to be ideal to be sitting on for any length of time due to the sharp edges, but something like a top layer of sure-pack (flake-type stone) should be perfectly fine. The other issue to consider is the inevitable depressions the tires and front landing gear might create in the gravel/stone pad after sitting for a while. With proper placement of boards on the ground I think you would be fine with the right gravel base.
So you suggest something like cr8 for base and stone dust for top layer?
Dcamjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcamjones View Post
So you suggest something like cr8 for base and stone dust for top layer?
I have two pole barns, one behind the house with a concrete floor and electricity and one at the other end of our property that's used strictly for off season storage. It does not have electricity (too far from the existing utilities to benefit from the expense) and a gravel floor. I used 1" crushed limestone for the 6" base and laid "limestone flakes/dust" on top of that as a top layer. I used a gas soil compactor to "set" the bottom layer, then after laying the 1-2 inch top layer, compacted that as well. This will be the 10th year since installing that gravel floor and it's still functioning well.

I did the same for the drive approach to the pole barn and it's also still performing well, although using the large tractor mounted snowblower during the winter has picked up some of the top layer of smaller pebble sized stone, and I was considering adding about 5 yards of "top layer fine stone" this year. Then I saw the inflated cost when compared to what I paid 10 years ago and thought to myself, "Why spend the money and just blow it away next winter when you clear the snow" ....

So, after considering that again, even the drive to that pole barn is still in good condition, and I'll just keep using it as it is. The underlying base is 100% good, it's just the top surface that is getting thin and looks different than inside the pole barn.... At the price of delivered gravel/stone, looks aren't as important any more LOL

As for concrete, I built my house for less than the cost of a concrete floor in that pole barn and drive, so for me, concrete was a "nice to have but NO WAY option..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #6
linux3

We have a pad beside the garage and have through 3 TTs.

6X6 timbers and filled with crush-n-run.
Crush-n-run may be a local name for gravel with dolamite dist mixed it.

Roll it out.
Soak it down real good and roll it out again.
Almost like concrete.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:08 PM   #7
jasin1

Park your trailer on the gravel for a few months and see where you prefer to park it…then get some large concrete equipment pads for air conditioners or generators and set them where the wheels usually sit ..carefully dig out a layer of stone and put the pads level with the top of stone..do the same where the front and rear landing gear sits also…may work. I park my fifth wheel in almost the exact spot at my house every time..i leave wood blocks where the landing gear sits and i just about hit it the first or second try
Old 05-11-2023, 03:15 PM   #8
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Park your trailer on the gravel for a few months and see where you prefer to park it…then get some large concrete equipment pads for air conditioners or generators and set them where the wheels usually sit ..carefully dig out a layer of stone and put the pads level with the top of stone..do the same where the front and rear landing gear sits also…may work. I park my fifth wheel in almost the exact spot at my house every time..i leave wood blocks where the landing gear sits and i just about hit it the first or second try
Concrete equipment pads, what a great idea!! That is why I love this forum! Thanks Jasin!
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Concrete equipment pads, what a great idea!! That is why I love this forum! Thanks Jasin!
You had best be able to back up better than I can. I have a pad of medium road base covered by finer stuff and rolled with a commercial roller (kind that drives). I bought some 18x18" pavers and my intent was to fix them in the base but I was never able to set them flush and lined up properly. I just drive on and the pad has held up well for quite a few years. It is actually pretty level as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:43 AM   #10
RickV

Another option is recycled concrete fines. I had/have a 30'x36' pole barn with a concrete slab. When I bought my current 5ver which is 42' I needed to extend my barn. I extended it by 12' and rather than having to have a 12'x30' slab poured I was just gonna put gravel there to save some $$$. I talked to a contractor friend and he suggested the concrete fines. I spread them out wet em down and used a compactor. It worked great. I live in the woods and the soil is pretty sandy where I need to pull up to back in so I placed a pad there too it is solid. I got like 10 yards and it cost me about $400 delivered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230512_57356.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	43848  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 05:43 AM   #11
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcamjones View Post
New 5th Toyhauler owner…
Getting prices on parking pad, concrete. Dealership says should get concrete. I am seeing a lot of folks parking on gravel. Google searches say it is ok to. I want some real world experience though. Is it ok to park long term on a site prepped/leveled and 6 inch of gravel?
With the price of concrete being high, I mulched my side yard and ride up on ramps I assembled using (2) 2"x10"x5' (side by side) with 3/4" plywood under them and sealed. Solid as can be and easy to align rig on first try. This is the second yard I used mulch and can refresh annually for a few dollars.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:31 AM   #12
Lee

Hi,

I lucked up and got a smoking deal on poured concrete.... so that is what I park on.

It was during height of the RONA, concrete company was hurting for business and gave me a great deal.

Previous, the parking spot was the crushed rock type. After 10 years, I was constantly fighting grass and weed growth in the pad.

When not out RV'ing the TT sits on the covered concrete pad year round. Have 30amp service and water,..... wish it had sewer but that's another story.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:49 PM   #13
Codierun

I put in a 30' X 10' pad using 7.87 in. L x 3.94 in. W x 1.77 in. H Concrete Paver almost 2 years ago and it has held up well. It has a 3in base of compacted stone dust. I got lucky Home Depot has them on sale for half price so I bought extra when I did my patio.

2017 F350 CC 6.7L LB DRW
2022 Keystone Arcadia 3940LT
Codierun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 05:26 AM   #14
TXiceman

We did a pad for a trailer of remilled asphalt. Had it well compacted and much cheaper than concrete.

Ken
Old 06-22-2023, 06:37 AM   #15
Camping family

If parking long term on gravel I would lay down a couple 2x10’s n park onto of them. I think it’s better for the tires than them setting on gravel. At least that’s what I do. Just my thoughts v
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote