Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2023, 07:08 AM   #1
Hemi1

Leak under passport 2520RL

Can someone give me their best guess where to look first? Drip underneath. I would need to gain access through the underlayer. Valve maybe? If I had to cut the underlayer to gain access to find the drip, how would I re patch the underlayer? Drip is by the foam of the big pipe coming down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230505_152754.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	43778   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230505_091336.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	43779  
Hemi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:15 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Best bet is to remove the nails from the side and only slice enough to pull down past the drain pipes. You can replace the nails with stainless steel self tapping screws and washers. Then tape the slit with "scrim tape" and spray foam in the gaps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:34 AM   #3
Hemi1

Thank you. There seem to be bolts every 3' or so not nails. Plus I would have to remove and replace the spray in foam near the pipes and the underlayer. Trying to figure out if this is doable. Any guess as to the most likely source of the drip? I emptied the black water and the middle Grey water tank. Still dripping. Kitchen sink Grey tank valve visible and not leaking.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:54 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi1 View Post
Thank you. There seem to be bolts every 3' or so not nails. Plus I would have to remove and replace the spray in foam near the pipes and the underlayer. Trying to figure out if this is doable. Any guess as to the most likely source of the drip? I emptied the black water and the middle Grey water tank. Still dripping. Kitchen sink Grey tank valve visible and not leaking.
Without visualizing the area it's impossible to tell where the leak originates. A water leak will follow a pipe or object down until it no longer defies gravity. Then when it lands, it will flow to the lowest point where there's an opening before exiting. So cutting open where you initially see water exiting doesn't necessarily mean the origin of the water is directly (of even near) the point.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:00 AM   #5
Hemi1

Thanks. When I get home I will slit it and see what I can see. Out camping right now.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:45 AM   #6
travelin texans

Not familiar with your rv, but in the bottom picture it looks like both drain valves are pulled open & the clear drain section is full of waste water. That could account for your leak, might want to check before going deeper.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:54 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi1 View Post
Thanks. When I get home I will slit it and see what I can see. Out camping right now.
I would NOT "slit it" until you know where the leak originates... "Slitting it" will leave you with an opening in the Coroplast that may or may not be "long term repairable" with tape. I'd recommend, as Chuck did, to remove the nails (they have screw heads that make them look like screws) and pulling down the edge of the Coroplast and then using a good flashlight to look inside. That way, you don't "slit it" in several places once you find the first slit isn't even close to where you actually find the leak...

That said, valves typically do not "leak outside the pipe" but rather the seals roll or get torn and the tank contents "leak around the valve slide" but the liquid stays inside the drain pipe....

Since we're just coming out of winter storage, even in Florida, you may have suffered some freeze damage and you could easily find a fitting in the fresh water lines that split, and the leak is not even associated with any of the holding tanks or their plumbing... On the other hand, it could be as you suspect, a split tank leaking or a cracked valve leaking...

But, I would NOT "slit the coroplast" while looking for the leak. Doing that is an excellent way to have 8 or 10 slits before you find the actual leak.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:02 AM   #8
Hemi1

Thank you. I will try that first and take out a couple bolts of the chloroplast and see what I can see before "cutting a hatch, " if I have to
Old 05-06-2023, 09:06 AM   #9
Hemi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not familiar with your rv, but in the bottom picture it looks like both drain valves are pulled open & the clear drain section is full of waste water. That could account for your leak, might want to check before going deeper.
It was empty. Clear section cloudy is all. After several hours, still a drip. Valves shut. Thanks
Old 05-06-2023, 01:33 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Some background questions;

You said you are camping. Is this the first trip? Was the trailer winterized? If in Tallahassee I doubt it. Was there any water in it during that hard freeze we had for a couple of days (I was in Panacea)? If not something could have frozen and split.

All tanks are completely empty? If so there is no water in the drain lines to leak. Have you checked under the sinks, particularly the bathroom sink for any kind of water leak? Just some thoughts so maybe you can find something without pulling down the coroplast. Also remember that water that has leaked in there will probably not be coming from the area of the leak as was mentioned...it will gravitate and then drip out whatever little hole it can find. Had a gray water tank that developed a leak at the top. Figured it out so stopped any further water going into the underbelly but it leaked for DAYS a good ways from the tank location. The underbelly did bow down a bit though.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #11
Hemi1

Not the first trip. It's a 2018. We last used the RV in December. I did not winterize, but did drain the hot water heater. This morning I drained the black and shower Grey water tanks. The other Grey tank for kitchen sink has the valve exposed and I don't think that's the problem. You are right. Maybe a Pex line crack is it. That's because after draining two tanks, the drip continues. Maybe a faulty valve. I don't know. I will try to find the leak myself before taking it to a shop where it will cost me a lot of money. I looked under the shower and bathroom sink. Dry.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:18 PM   #12
NH_Bulldog

They connections to the back of the tub/shower valves have a tendency loosen and “weep”. Water follows the exterior of the PEX line down to a low point and then drips off. Not a ton of water, but a slow drip.

One test you can do to see if it is a potable water line or a drain issue is before you go to bed, add water to your fresh tank, turn off city water and activate the pump to pressurize the water system. If the pump cycles at all in the night, you have a leak in the potable water system.

If you have floor registers, you can often pull one out, disconnect the duct boot and look into the belly area for wet areas with a flashlight and mirror or shoot a video with a smartphone. Since it is a 2018, there should be lots of dust/dirt in there to be able to see and wet spots.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:55 PM   #13
Hemi1

Thanks. I took the little panel off below the shower doors Hole only big enough to get my arm in. Used flashlight, didn't see any water/dampness. Was Able to reach all the way down to the underlayer and felt around. Felt around pex lines under shower. Not wet. Must be further back.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:25 PM   #14
pappy437

It may drip for a long time after the leak is no longer dripping. The colorplast can have a big puddle on top of it.
pappy437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:49 PM   #15
hazmat456

I once had a trailer that the underbelly filled with rainwater that entered through the termination bar at the bottom of the exterior wall. This would be the trim piece that holds the sheet metal on.
You can easily slit the coroplast and place a 1x4 treated above the slit to fasten the edges to or pull the self tappers along the edge. They are never nails, ever. Sometimes the belly is above the I beam in the front and was fastened from the inside. If you find this you might have to improvise a bit to get it closed back up.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:57 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

“ pull the self tappers along the edge. They are never nails, ever.”

RV manufacturers have been using “nails” to attach coroplast for a number of

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ne&fr2=piv-web

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ne&fr2=piv-web

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 02:28 AM   #17
NH_Bulldog

Hazmat456: This is one of the nails I pulled from mine; 100% it’s a nail. Mine was built 8/2018 so they have been using them at least 5 years now, probably longer. This just illustrates that in the RV business there are no absolutes. If you have a recent model and have self-tapping screws it is likely someone could have pulled the nails, dropped your coroplast and refastened with screws……
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7376.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	43792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7377.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	43793  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 04:11 AM   #18
hazmat456

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Hazmat456: This is one of the nails I pulled from mine; 100% it’s a nail. Mine was built 8/2018 so they have been using them at least 5 years now, probably longer. This just illustrates that in the RV business there are no absolutes. If you have a recent model and have self-tapping screws it is likely someone could have pulled the nails, dropped your coroplast and refastened with screws……
I stand corrected.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 04:34 AM   #19
Hemi1

Thanks to all who commented. I'll find out if mine are "nails" when I remove one. I have a feeling this is not gonna be a fun project and may end up taking it to a shop. I'll let you know.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:26 AM   #20
Hemi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Some background questions;

You said you are camping. Is this the first trip? Was the trailer winterized? If in Tallahassee I doubt it. Was there any water in it during that hard freeze we had for a couple of days (I was in Panacea)? If not something could have frozen and split.

All tanks are completely empty? If so there is no water in the drain lines to leak. Have you checked under the sinks, particularly the bathroom sink for any kind of water leak? Just some thoughts so maybe you can find something without pulling down the coroplast. Also remember that water that has leaked in there will probably not be coming from the area of the leak as was mentioned...it will gravitate and then drip out whatever little hole it can find. Had a gray water tank that developed a leak at the top. Figured it out so stopped any further water going into the underbelly but it leaked for DAYS a good ways from the tank location. The underbelly did bow down a bit though.
Sir, Do you know of a reputable rv repair shop in the area you can recommend. I'd rather not take ut to Camping World if I choose to get it repaired.

Tags
leak, passport