Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2023, 02:18 AM   #1
JMB003

Running Light Blink

I have a 2020 Keystone Avalanche 383FL. A few different times, the running lights will start blinking a slow consistent blink. This is happening when plugged in. Sometimes it only lasts for a little bit, but currently they have been blinking for days. The battery tests 13+ volts while plugged in.

Please help.
Thanks in advance.
JMB003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:51 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Do they blink only when plugged into the tow vehicle? Disconnect from the truck and try this:

Holding the trailer umbilical cord in your hand with a short jumper wire put the plug so the "hump" is at the top, and then connect the top two connectors. that should light up the running lights. Do they still blink?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:04 AM   #3
JMB003

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Do they blink only when plugged into the tow vehicle? Disconnect from the truck and try this:

Holding the trailer umbilical cord in your hand with a short jumper wire put the plug so the "hump" is at the top, and then connect the top two connectors. that should light up the running lights. Do they still blink?
No. I’ve never noticed it when plugged in to the truck. It happens when plugged into shore power.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:22 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB003 View Post
No. I’ve never noticed it when plugged in to the truck. It happens when plugged into shore power.
The running lights are NOT connected in anyway to the shore power nor any power source once the umbilical cord is disconnected from the truck.
You've apparently got a short or wires melted together somewhere somehow.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:01 AM   #5
LHaven

And since the running lights are a 12VDC circuit and shore power is 120VAC, this one should be interesting.

I've heard of guys who plug a car blinker into their umbilical to flag down the guy delivering their pizza, but I've never seen a rig with that feature builtin.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:25 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN. Hope you find your problem.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:44 AM   #7
jxnbbl

Interesting enough... We recently spent some time in Fort Wilderness at Disney. When we are there we usually walk some of the loops to get some exercise but just take notes for sites that we like and/or ideas for setup. One night I noted that there were 2-3 random trailers that actually had their running light illuminated or ??? reason. Come to think of it all but one just had the running lights on and NOT the "cap lighting" found in many trailers today.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:33 AM   #8
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Interesting enough... We recently spent some time in Fort Wilderness at Disney. When we are there we usually walk some of the loops to get some exercise but just take notes for sites that we like and/or ideas for setup. One night I noted that there were 2-3 random trailers that actually had their running light illuminated or ??? reason. Come to think of it all but one just had the running lights on and NOT the "cap lighting" found in many trailers today.
Several years ago a device came on the market to allow you have your running / clearance lights on when plugged into shore power. The real problem came when neighbors complained because of the bright lights. Not so common to see now.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:03 AM   #9
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
One night I noted that there were 2-3 random trailers that actually had their running light illuminated or ??? reason. Come to think of it all but one just had the running lights on and NOT the "cap lighting" found in many trailers today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
Several years ago a device came on the market to allow you have your running / clearance lights on when plugged into shore power. The real problem came when neighbors complained because of the bright lights. Not so common to see now.
No need for any kind of special device.
All you need is a standard 10 amp blade fuse.

Insert the fuse into the top two ports on your trailer 7 way plug.
As long as you have a battery installed in the trailer, the running lights will now be illuminated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	43816
Old 05-09-2023, 08:09 AM   #10
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
No need for any kind of special device.
All you need is a standard 10 amp blade fuse.

Insert the fuse into the top two ports on your trailer 7 way plug.
As long as you have a battery installed in the trailer, the running lights will now be illuminated.
Attachment 43816
Thanks for sharing.
I was simply explaining how it was done safely and how it affected other campers. I have no intensions of doing this myself.
Thanks.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #11
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
Thanks for sharing.
I was simply explaining how it was done safely and how it affected other campers. I have no intensions of doing this myself.
Thanks.
Yeah, I don't do that either.
I was just pointing out how easy it was.

Edit: That method will allow you to check that all your running lights are working properly without having to back your truck up and plug in.
So, there is a somewhat valid purpose for it.

I will sometimes have my "cap" lights on for an hour or so after dark.
But they don't stay on for too long, and certainly not all night.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:24 AM   #12
jxnbbl

Thanks for the explanations! I do use my cap lights at Disney's FW at night, but they are off by "quiet time". That light is pretty much contained on the apron of the site pad. I could see how annoying the running lights would be as an intrusion on the site(s) next to us.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:25 AM   #13
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Yeah, I don't do that either.
I was just pointing out how easy it was.

Edit: That method will allow you to check that all your running lights are working properly without having to back your truck up and plug in.
So, there is a somewhat valid purpose for it.

I will sometimes have my "cap" lights on for an hour or so after dark.
But they don't stay on for too long, and certainly not all night.
That's a great point. I never looked at that way. I'll have to try that.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-14-2023, 07:19 AM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
So what did you find?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #15
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
So what did you find?
I've been on a trip so I haven't been on here in a week, but this thread has been keeping me up at night wondering myself what happened.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:43 AM   #16
dutchmensport

Odd curiosity for sure. I wonder if the OP figured it out too.

Just for some fyi, and to give my "retired" fingers something to do, I'll just ramble a bit here.

I remember the when we got our first travel trailer, it was a Dutchmen Sport and we were at an RV show in Indianapolis. The trailers set up for this one dealership all had their running lights blinking. I finally asked one of the sales people there how they did that and he showed me where they installed an automobile "flasher" (that silver round thing) that plugs in under the dash board to make turn signals "flash". You simply plug it in to the trailer umbilical cord (like in the photo above).

Well, I was so impressed with this, I had to do the same thing. Easy to do. When to Wall Mart, automotive section, found one and tried it. Worked! Wow!

Went camping and, of course still being new to RVing and dang proud of my accomplishment and of course, wanting to show off, I plugged in the flasher and I was thrilled.

Little did I realize how much I pissed off the fellow campers around me. Before that outing was over, I had unplugged the flasher.

I then decided I'd use it ONLY on the 4th of July! And I did that for the next several years.

Finally, the nostalgia of it finally wore away. I'm now at the point in my life where I want everything pitch black at night. ANY lights, anywhere, drive me batty. So, now, we never have outside lights on after dark, unless we are right there and need it on for some reason.

I guess, I'm now in THAT group, and I'm just old enough, I've turned into a grumpy old man! Hum?
Old 05-23-2023, 06:15 AM   #17
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Odd curiosity for sure. I wonder if the OP figured it out too.

Just for some fyi, and to give my "retired" fingers something to do, I'll just ramble a bit here.

I remember the when we got our first travel trailer, it was a Dutchmen Sport and we were at an RV show in Indianapolis. The trailers set up for this one dealership all had their running lights blinking. I finally asked one of the sales people there how they did that and he showed me where they installed an automobile "flasher" (that silver round thing) that plugs in under the dash board to make turn signals "flash". You simply plug it in to the trailer umbilical cord (like in the photo above).

Well, I was so impressed with this, I had to do the same thing. Easy to do. When to Wall Mart, automotive section, found one and tried it. Worked! Wow!

Went camping and, of course still being new to RVing and dang proud of my accomplishment and of course, wanting to show off, I plugged in the flasher and I was thrilled.

Little did I realize how much I pissed off the fellow campers around me. Before that outing was over, I had unplugged the flasher.

I then decided I'd use it ONLY on the 4th of July! And I did that for the next several years.

Finally, the nostalgia of it finally wore away. I'm now at the point in my life where I want everything pitch black at night. ANY lights, anywhere, drive me batty. So, now, we never have outside lights on after dark, unless we are right there and need it on for some reason.

I guess, I'm now in THAT group, and I'm just old enough, I've turned into a grumpy old man! Hum?
That is a great story. We all have those stories where we do change ours ways based on our experiences, as well from others.
I am a light junky when it comes to my RV, but I've learned over the years when to scale it down, usually based on time of night and vibe of campground. Some CG's are very active at night, and some are very subdued.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:25 PM   #18
JMB003

I still have not figured out why this is happening. I uploaded a photo of the battery voltage showing 13.17 while charging through the shore power cord that is plugged in. I have a video of the issue but can’t figure out how to upload the video. I think it would be helpful to all of you trying to help me. If you have an idea of how I can load it, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2225.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	44355  
Old 06-23-2023, 09:52 AM   #19
firestation12

Quote:
I still have not figured out why this is happening. I uploaded a photo of the battery voltage showing 13.17 while charging through the shore power cord that is plugged in. I have a video of the issue but can’t figure out how to upload the video. I think it would be helpful to all of you trying to help me. If you have an idea of how I can load it, please let me know.
If your have the InCommand panel, I seem to recall an exclamation mark in the lower right corner that causes something to blink?????
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:50 PM   #20
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
If your have the InCommand panel, I seem to recall an exclamation mark in the lower right corner that causes something to blink?????
Yes, pushing and holding that exclamation mark will cause the lights to blink.
However, it affects ALL lights (even interior lights).

Tags
light