Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
wrvond

Bike rack recommendations requested

So I'm ready to purchase a rack to carry our two Huffy cruiser type bicycles and the choices are kind of overwhelming.
The first question I have is:

Hanging from a bar, or supported by the wheels?
The hanging style looks simpler/cleaner with fewer parts to shake and rattle, but it also seems that balance is critical in this application. So which is more popular?

BTW, the rack is going into a 2" receiver I have mounted on the kingpin.

The Maxxhaul looks like it might be an inexpensive copy of a Swagman, any experiences with this?
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5002...653329219&th=1

Thanks!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I am currently looking into a bike rack as well for 2 ebikes. For regular bikes I have, and have used, a Yakima 4 bike rack that pivots down;

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-Double...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Those kinds of racks require a bar across the top if it is a step thru bike. They make other models if you haven't looked at them including 2 bike models. Mine works well, and the bikes rode many miles on it, but they do take a bit of time to get situated right if you have 4 bikes.

Currently I've got two pinned up on my browser bar - one of which I'm going to get for the ebikes;

https://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/k..._BwE#itemvideo

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...yABEgIKYfD_BwE

I'm leaning toward the Curt. They are more expensive but the ebikes are much heavier than a standard bicycle. I also think that (at least it appears) the bikes would be more secure sitting on their tires. The thing I don't like, and the reason I'm still hemhawing is how deep they are. The Curt extends back 41" from the back bumper which gives me some pause. In your application that may not be an issue.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
wrvond

Initially I thought the e-bike racks might be a good way to future proof the situation, but they are kind of pricey for my application, and it occurs to me that lifting e-bikes up too high could be a real problem so I'm doubting they are in our future.

I like that double bar Yakima though. I'll have to dig around to see if they have a two bike version.

Thanks!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:25 PM   #4
Canonman

Just bought 2 Ebikes for the wife and I. They are twice as heavy as our pedal bikes.
I felt it wise to upgrade our Thule bike rack to something more capable of handling the extra weight as well as being RV certified.
This is what I came up with: https://hollywoodracks.com/products/rv-rider
The RV Rider from Hollywood Racks.
there are videos demonstrating how to put the heavier ebikes on the rack without needing 2 people or breaking your back.
Waiting for delivery now. I'll follow up once I install the rack and again once we take our first trip with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7617-HDR.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	43716  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:33 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Initially I thought the e-bike racks might be a good way to future proof the situation, but they are kind of pricey for my application, and it occurs to me that lifting e-bikes up too high could be a real problem so I'm doubting they are in our future.

I like that double bar Yakima though. I'll have to dig around to see if they have a two bike version.

Thanks!

They have 2 bike models in tilt, swing out and other configurations. Yakima makes good products.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:34 AM   #6
flyingjack

Fultyme RV 1300 Hitch Mount 2-Bike Rack, 200 lbs. Capacity-less than $150. Hauling two Aventon Level ebikes=65++lbs each. Mounted on factory 2" receiver and added a "bolt on" 1 1/4" receiver to reinforce and/or stop any wobble. Just finished 5000 miles (including I10 in the SE) and no issues. Bought a 2nd unit for SUV (no reinforcement added) and hauled both ebikes back and forth CO to PHX; again, no issues. Note: always use "anti rattle clamp" to lessen movement in any receiver type hitch. Load by holding back brake and wheelie front up onto rack, then pick up back with both hands and set in slot.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:25 AM   #7
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
So I'm ready to purchase a rack to carry our two Huffy cruiser type bicycles and the choices are kind of overwhelming.
The first question I have is:

Hanging from a bar, or supported by the wheels?
The hanging style looks simpler/cleaner with fewer parts to shake and rattle, but it also seems that balance is critical in this application. So which is more popular?

BTW, the rack is going into a 2" receiver I have mounted on the kingpin.

The Maxxhaul looks like it might be an inexpensive copy of a Swagman, any experiences with this?
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5002...653329219&th=1

Thanks!
I use this bike rack that mounts on my rear bumper. Combined weight of both bikes and rack is 100 lbs. I go the extra mile and use a short strap that attaches to the ring at the top of the bike rack and connects to the opening on the bumper adapter. It keeps the bikes from bouncing.

https://www.campingworld.com/strombe...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
flyingjack

Kirk's; that bike rack looks identical to the FulTyme rack without the bolt on receiver. I had a bolt on receiver on our last 5er with a hanging bike rack hauling our two std mtn bikes= lots of movement and too scary for me.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #9
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
Kirk's; that bike rack looks identical to the FulTyme rack without the bolt on receiver. I had a bolt on receiver on our last 5er with a hanging bike rack hauling our two std mtn bikes= lots of movement and too scary for me.
I’ve always had a short strap from the ring to the receiver and it’s stiff. I occasionally watch it on my rear camera and it’s solid. I bet it would bounce a lot without the strap, but it’s been part of my setup since 2018. I tend to go above and beyond on everything, no different here, lol.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:41 PM   #10
Canonman

RV Rider bike rack from Hollywood Rack delivered today.
Packaging was top notch. Even UPS couldn't screw it up.
Assembly was straight forward with instructions that actually made sense. (pictures too)
Only rough spot was setting the tire racks exactly where they needed to be so the bikes lined up with the center post clamps. I was doing this on my own but thank God my DW came out to help. That part is much easier done with a second person..
Once assembled and bikes loaded I have to say I was mightily impressed with the stability of this rack. NOTHING and I mean nothing moves. It is solid as a rock.
It was spendy (I'm pretty cheap) but now that I can see the quality of materials and design I feel 100% confident putting our new E bikes on this rack and hitting the road this season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL3665.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	43752  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:33 AM   #11
Old_Stevenick

I've used the Yakima TwoTimer for a number of years and like it a lot. It doesn't swing out, but can be tilted down a little bit. I used it on a hatchback and this allows the hatch to open, although with two bikes on it it's still no easy to get in and out.

Over all though the rack has been great.

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-TwoTim.../dp/B00U0F8U0W
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:36 AM   #12
Old_Stevenick

When using a hitch bike rack it's good to use Stabilizer straps like these.

The pull the bikes in to the vehicle and thus take some of the weight off of the rack and the hitch as well as keeping the bikes from moving around.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...URT/18050.html
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:55 AM   #13
Montanapaddler

I got a rack from Let’s Go Aero for our trailer. It’s approved for bumper pull trailers and made for E-bikes. I’ve only done one trip but so far seems to work well. I take the battery out to make it easier to load and unload.
Montanapaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:44 PM   #14
Folkie

I have an RV rated Swagman rack that I have used for years with our traditional bikes mounted on our camper rear receiver. I keep an eye on it with the rear camera and it looks very stable.

We recently purchased two e-bikes that weigh in at 64 lbs each (with the 9 lb battery). Our existing rack is only rated for 90 lbs so I had to look for a replacement. Swagman makes a RV trailer rated rack that would handle the load but the shank was too short to accommodate use with our bumper mounted spare tire. After much looking I found the Hyperax 2023 Volt RV e-bike rack. This new model from Hyperax does clear the spare tire on the camper and is beefy enough for the e-bikes (rated at 160 lbs) and also appears to be very stable on the road. Loading our heavy bikes is not bad with help from my DW.

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack