Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2023, 02:58 AM   #1
Lost

Just some humor

My wife and I were considering purchasing a toy hauler. Get a side by side or motor cycle to take with us. My mind is all for that and says i can do anything. My 68 year old body said cut down on your meds your taking.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:23 AM   #2
flyingjack

Lost; unfortunately, +1
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:23 AM   #3
dutchmensport

I turned 68 this month on April 16. I totally understand what you are saying. I do all I can to keep active though. But when it comes to those thing I use to do when I was back in my 20's????? no way!

My wife and I saw a Harley Davidson on the side of the road "for sale" just a couple days ago. I asked her, "What do you think about buying it?" Her response was ... "Why? Neither of us can hold the thing up now."

Matthew 26:41 .... (edit) ... the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:49 AM   #4
notanlines

I believe there is a strong sense of “what I can’t do” in this thread. I just turned 75, ride a Harley with a sidecar, have an ‘old man’s side by side. Yes, heater, doors, wipers, etc, but it is the Yamaha 1000 and runs like a scalded dog.
Knock off with the “I can’t “ and get on board with the “I can.”
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:46 AM   #5
flyingjack

the title is "Just some humor" lighten up.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:05 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'll be 76 in August, definitely know that it takes a LOT longer to heal than it used to and it usually takes longer to recover from doing more than my body used to take for granted... That said, we're currently in North Carolina, brought the Slingshot with us and if it ever warms up and stops raining, we'll be "riding off into the sunset most evenings" (still sleep late when we can)....

You're NEVER too old to do what you think you can do, just might take longer to get it done.... Besides, if you don't spend it making yourself happy, chances are someone else will spend it making themselves happy (at your expense after you're gone).....

If you decide to keep taking your meds, keep having these "crazy urges", maybe just act on them and "buy a few moments of youthful freedom that makes you happy".....

We're looking forward to getting back to Michigan and putting the top down on our T-bird. It's been in the pole barn all winter and sure looked lonely when we headed south a week ago....

Enjoy your SECOND YOUTH !!!! We are and don't plan on looking back !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:17 AM   #7
Canonman

My theory about all this:
Do what you can
As long as you can
The best that you can
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7995.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	470.2 KB
ID:	43625  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:46 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
My theory about all this:
Do what you can
As long as you can
The best that you can
Which includes:

Sliding into your own funeral, hung over, dirty, exhausted, "bruised and battered", about an hour late and offering NO APOLOGY for keeping everyone waiting.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I guess I'm in the middle of the road on this. I can't do a lot of things I used to do and I know it. I can however say "what the heck" and give it a shot from time to time anyway. What I/we try to do is not get bogged down in a set routine and in fact act on some of those "kid" impulses. At times I KNOW what that crazy urge is going to result in, and spend a few days paying for it, but I think it keeps you young at heart. Funny Jim (notanlines) brought up the "I can't" vs "I can"; JUST had that conversation with DW 2-3 days ago. She was going through a trying experience working on something and said "I can't" about 3 times when I called her on it - told her that phrase should not be in her vocabulary - we got the issue fixed.

Plow ahead, have fun, stay young at heart, spend it before the kids get it....and don't let the old man in.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:50 AM   #10
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
My wife and I were considering purchasing a toy hauler. Get a side by side or motor cycle to take with us. My mind is all for that and says i can do anything. My 68 year old body said cut down on your meds your taking.
Last time my mind spoke to me i broke 2 ribs while kayaking so I have 20 more ribs to break. After that i was riding my atv as I would when i was In my 20s we'll that put out my back for a month. Let see what I can accomplish this coming summer.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:49 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're NEVER too old to do what you think you can do, just might take longer to get it done.... .... keep having these "crazy urges", maybe just act on them and "buy a few moments of youthful freedom that makes you happy".....

Your post put a HUGE smile on my face ... I mean.... HUGE! Put it together .... "take longer to get it done".... "crazy urges" .... "just act on them"......

Yea .... boy, those were the days! The Jack Rabbit and the Minute Man .... yep .... takes much longer now! (you all know what I'm talking about!) I know, they make little blue pills for that too!
Old 04-26-2023, 12:35 PM   #12
Cbrez

I’ve got an exterior door to replace when it warms up. No problem

Step 1: pick up the door
2: put it in the opening
3: attach to framing
4 trim it out

Problem is I can’t get past step 1. Used to be able to pick up a solid core door, no problem. Not anymore. “Work smarter, not harder” comes into play far more often than it used to. I’ll get that door hung tho, hopefully without a hospital visit and a year of chiropractic adjustments.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:06 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
I’ve got an exterior door to replace when it warms up. No problem

Step 1: pick up the door
2: put it in the opening
3: attach to framing
4 trim it out

Problem is I can’t get past step 1. Used to be able to pick up a solid core door, no problem. Not anymore. “Work smarter, not harder” comes into play far more often than it used to. I’ll get that door hung tho, hopefully without a hospital visit and a year of chiropractic adjustments.

^^^^LOL that's the truth. My DW is a wonderful sport, she has been pressed into service doing SO many things she never signed on for...on the upside she now knows more about carpentry, tools, working on vehicles and lawn equipment than she ever dreamed she wanted to know!! Improvise, adapt and overcome.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:00 PM   #14
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^LOL that's the truth. My DW is a wonderful sport, she has been pressed into service doing SO many things she never signed on for...on the upside she now knows more about carpentry, tools, working on vehicles and lawn equipment than she ever dreamed she wanted to know!! Improvise, adapt and overcome.
Wow ... sounds just like my wife. My wife can now make high end cabinets. she knows high end wood working ..
Old 04-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Wow ... sounds just like my wife. My wife can now make high end cabinets. she knows high end wood working ..
Mine is earning her doctorate in “economic stimulation”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:30 AM   #16
larryflew

I used to be able to bench press 180, now I can't get up from the bench ;-)
Old 04-30-2023, 07:40 AM   #17
Rdynbama

I’m 62 been retired for 15 months . We talked about traveling more after I retired but life kept getting in the way. But this summer (June) we are leaving for a 6-8 week trip to Michigan, already have a month reserved in Ludington, and have plans and rooms reserved to ride the UP on the Harley with a couple of my old Navy buddies for a week. Just gonna go for it!! I hope it quits snowing up there in June!

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:51 AM   #18
fchampneys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'll be 76 in August, definitely know that it takes a LOT longer to heal than it used to and it usually takes longer to recover from doing more than my body used to take for granted... That said, we're currently in North Carolina, brought the Slingshot with us and if it ever warms up and stops raining, we'll be "riding off into the sunset most evenings" (still sleep late when we can)....

You're NEVER too old to do what you think you can do, just might take longer to get it done.... Besides, if you don't spend it making yourself happy, chances are someone else will spend it making themselves happy (at your expense after you're gone).....

If you decide to keep taking your meds, keep having these "crazy urges", maybe just act on them and "buy a few moments of youthful freedom that makes you happy".....

We're looking forward to getting back to Michigan and putting the top down on our T-bird. It's been in the pole barn all winter and sure looked lonely when we headed south a week ago....

Enjoy your SECOND YOUTH !!!! We are and don't plan on looking back !!!!!
From another 76 year old… Amen brother. If you don’t have a reason to get out of bed early every morning, one day you won’t. For my wife and me, we’re spending our kid’s inheritance. They can go get their own!!!
2019 Honda Talon 1000X
fchampneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:10 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
I’m 62 been retired for 15 months . We talked about traveling more after I retired but life kept getting in the way. But this summer (June) we are leaving for a 6-8 week trip to Michigan, already have a month reserved in Ludington, and have plans and rooms reserved to ride the UP on the Harley with a couple of my old Navy buddies for a week. Just gonna go for it!! I hope it quits snowing up there in June!
If you're going to "stay in Ludington" and "ride to the UP", that means you're going to "ride across the Mackinac Bridge".... We do that in the Slingshot several times every summer....

WARNING !!!!! WARNING !!!!! WARNING !!!!!

Even when it's 85-90F on I-75 in Mackinaw City, it will be 40F at the apex of the bridge !!!!! Stop in Mackinaw City, put on a jacket (not a light windbreaker) BEFORE you get to the "no stops allowed" part of the bridge.... You can "thank me later, when you get to LETHO'S Pasty Shop on US2, 3 miles west of St Ignace..... Yep, LETHO'S has the best pasties in the southeast part of the UP.... Well worth the $5.25 each. I recommend "with gravy" and NOTHING short of the original beef. IMO, the chicken and all vegetable pasties just are "well, I can't say it on this forum".....

But, don't forget your jacket and DON'T try to ride the bridge without a jacket. It's "frosty cold" at 225' above the water, even on a "hot day".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-30-2023, 09:47 AM   #20
notanlines

Yep, what he^^^^said. Maybe gravy, but NOT ketchup! Also, I would recommend a few hours out on Mackinac Island with a tour of the Grand Hotel. There was a time I would have recommended the lunch buffet, but the price has spiraled up to $65.00 or so over the years. But the island is worth one trip in your life.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote