Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #1
TravelQueen

GE Thermostat Replacement??

Hello, the GE thermostat in my 2021 Springdale 220RD went completely out. I am looking to replace it with something else. This thermostat only uses 3 wires not 6. The model is RARWT2B wall thermostat. Does anyone have any suggestions or have you replaced yours with another brand?? Thank you!

Im so sorry! I guess I posted in the "New Member Check in" I didn't mean to do that. I thought I was posting in Repairs. Sorry!
TravelQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:39 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

https://www.microair.net/collections...e-replacements

Not cheap but a great replacement with extra features.

Is your current one under warranty?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:05 PM   #3
TravelQueen

No, it is not under warranty. That easy touch is $249. Is there anything else I can get? Maybe a manual switch, not a digital?
Old 04-23-2023, 06:11 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The issue is compatibility with the control box in the roof unit. RV thermostats use 12V and house thermostats use 24V, a couple members have claimed the Honeywell works but I haven’t had any luck.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:18 PM   #5
TravelQueen

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:19 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/sto...s/spec/RARWT2B

Old 04-24-2023, 04:55 AM   #7
GunnerRoo

I replaced our original thermostat that quit working with a Honeywell digital thermostat and works great. Picked it up at Home Depot for around $40. The only "issue" I had was to program it to not turn on the Air Handler for the AC when it turns on the heat as they are 2 separate systems versus the normal house is a single system. It was very simple once I found the section in the manual. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #8
TravelQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerRoo View Post
I replaced our original thermostat that quit working with a Honeywell digital thermostat and works great. Picked it up at Home Depot for around $40. The only "issue" I had was to program it to not turn on the Air Handler for the AC when it turns on the heat as they are 2 separate systems versus the normal house is a single system. It was very simple once I found the section in the manual. Good luck!
Can you tell me which model Honeywell you used? Also, did you replace the GE thermostat or another brand?
Old 04-24-2023, 09:21 PM   #9
GunnerRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelQueen View Post
Can you tell me which model Honeywell you used? Also, did you replace the GE thermostat or another brand?
We keep our TT in West Central Georgia and the manual for the thermostat is in the TT. I am heading up Thursday and will get you the information on the Honeywell thermostat.

I do not recall it being a GE one that I replaced.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:57 AM   #10
Old_Stevenick

Forgive me if this is not compatible, others can chime in and tell you that I'm wrong, but I replaced our heat-only thermostat with this simple device and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:44 AM   #11
shiggs68

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
https://www.microair.net/collections...e-replacements

Not cheap but a great replacement with extra features.

Is your current one under warranty?
Unfortunately your AC system is a Dometic which uses a proprietary digital link. There is only a Dometic or the MicroAir compatible replacements.
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 08:16 AM   #12
hazmat456

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerRoo View Post
Being able to turn on the air handler with the heat on is the ability that I am looking for. Right now I use two separate thermostats to do this. Add in wifi control and it would be perfect.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 12:04 PM   #13
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
Being able to turn on the air handler with the heat on is the ability that I am looking for. Right now I use two separate thermostats to do this. Add in wifi control and it would be perfect.
Unfortunately any thermostat that provides WiFi control cannot run on AA or AAA battery power internally. The batteries wouldn’t last long. OP would need more wire conductors for that. OP states he only has 3 wires inside the wall connected the back of the stat. Residential style thermostats come pre programmed for gas heating system, meaning the call for heat does not include a call for fan. The fan turn on is controlled by the furnace board. This is in contrast to how an RV stat works. The fan operation on a Honeywell thermostat can be changed from the factory setting, to: fan on with call for heat. With only 3 wires, OP either has a capacitance touch (data in/data out) or +wire, load out for heat and load out for ac. Before buying anything he needs to get info from RV stat mfg to see how many wires are needed.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:37 PM   #14
apachewolf

Quote:
Hello, the GE thermostat in my 2021 Springdale 220RD went completely out. I am looking to replace it with something else. This thermostat only uses 3 wires not 6. The model is RARWT2B wall thermostat. Does anyone have any suggestions or have you replaced yours with another brand?? Thank you!

Im so sorry! I guess I posted in the "New Member Check in" I didn't mean to do that. I thought I was posting in Repairs. Sorry!
Are you sure that there are only 3 wires available at the thermostat?
Here is what I have:
-white- goes to the furnace (WF)
- gray is for the low fan speed (GL)
- green is for the high fan speed (GH)
- yellow powers the AC compressor (Y)
- red is hot (R)
- blue is your ground wire (B)

I replaced my COLEMAN thermostat with a HONEYWELL model RTH2300/RTH221 series thermostat bought at WALMART for about $ 20.00. I did by-pass the grey wire (left it unused) and just used the green wire for high speed. One can add a switch that allows you to switch between high and low fan speed, but I decided that high speed was all I needed. It took about 15 min to install. The thing about this thermostat is that it runs on 2 AAA batteries and is programable for 4 events in a 24-hour period. Once programmed it is the same for all 7 days. Batteries will last a year. I first installed it in my Lance camper 2010 and later in my Keystore, Laredo. There is no need to buy an expensive thermostat this one works fine it has a digital display and does what it is supposed to.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:45 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

She has this one:

https://www.geappliances.com/applian...mostat-RARWT2B

Clearly stated in the first post. If you scroll down the link it is clearly a 3 wire thermostat.

Old 04-30-2023, 01:49 PM   #16
firestation12

Quote:

Another thought…sometimes the unused conductors of a wire bundle get stowed inside the wall. Make sure you exposed the 3 wires back till you find the outside sheath.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:20 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I looked into this for a bit and I believe I read/heard that the OP's thermostat is used with a Dometic single zone A/C. That said my single zone Dometic runs with 3 wires. It is in a bundle with 6 wires but it only uses 3. If it is operating a Dometic A/C, which it very well may be, there aren't many options since they are very "proprietary" about the operation of their units, just went through this for about 2 months. It would be handy for some brand analog thermostat to work but don't know what it would be off the top of my head.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:18 AM   #18
dljs1941

Do a Google search on the thermostat model. You should find several options for a direct replacement under $75.