Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2023, 08:30 PM   #41
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Are you referring to MY POS 6.0 Ford Diesel with aluminum tripod hitch? I don't think I am over my payload and find comments kind of ironic from a guy with no truck, hitch or camper. I like my truck because it is paid for. The OP may or may not have a diesel but if he does, it is a 6.7L which is a step above most of the rest. Wish I could afford one. Danny, brand related insults seldom add anything to any discussion...
Nope!
Not referring to anything about you!
Just a very common & known fact about the majority of the 6.0 diesel engines being a huge POS that just happen to be in a Ford. If by the off chance you own one that still runs, CONGRATULATIONS! Most have since became boat anchors.
As for "brand related insults", your words not mine, I'm definitely not a Ford fan. I drove Ford trucks, all sizes, all engines, 250+ miles everyday 6 days a week for 30+ years, so my not having anything good to say about them is not unfounded & "just my opinion". SORRY! if you take it personally.
I've more than once expressed "my opinion" on the 35lb aluminum tripod hitch, if that's what you or anyone else wants to use then please go right ahead.
I may not currently own a truck or rv but I'm quite sure I have as many miles/years towing them, maintaining them as you, possibly more & was well within any/all posted weights on every one of them.
It's also a public forum & as long as I'm not breaking any of the forum rules I'm pretty sure I have as much freedom to post about anything I wish, "just my opinion".
Anything further PM it to me!
Now back to the regularly scheduled weight/hitch conversation!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:43 PM   #42
rhagfo

Quote:
I am pretty sure he is dangerously overloaded and which hitch isn't as important as pointing out the overload situation. Some folks on this site care about the safety of the other members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Rich View Post
Just asking. What’s considered “dangerously overloaded”?
Take “the sticker” out of the equation. We all know 3/4 tons are capped at 10k for regulation purposes, not vehicle limits. So what’s the limit?
While even when I was towing over GVWR, I never felt that I was dangerously overloaded. It was my decision to tow that way, I didn’t encourage others to do it , but I was fine with it. While my 2,800# pin took me over the 2001 Rams 8,800# GVWR by 1,700#, I was still under axel and tire ratings, yes the truck scaled 10,500# with the trailer attached.

Now I doubt Hawkeye is nearly that far over, and still within axle and tire ratings. I tow with my 2001 for seven years, had a couple idiots pulled out in front of us, the package handle the situation easily.
I believe that Duchmansport gave a great hitch recommendation, the other option is the Anderson Ultimate.

I do miss the old 2001 Ram 5.9 Laramie with 5 speed manual and 3.55’s. It was a beast when towing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:10 AM   #43
dutchmensport

OK, I confess... I'm an "old timer!" I'm more like, I'm an old FART now!

I'll be 68 on April 16 (yes, thank-you for the birth day wish in advance!) I'm proud of my age, but just have a hard time believing I'm actually this old. I'm walking up to 10 miles every day, retired a year ago, and been camping / RVing since I was 8 years old. My parents purchased a new 1963 Phoenix Travel Trailer. and we traveled from Philadelphia, to Southern Florida, to Upper Michigan, to Houston, Texas. I'd absolutely love to have that trailer now!

I tent camped from the back of a motorcycle in my teen and early 20's years. Got married in 1985 when I was in the Army and the wife and kids and I did a lot of tent camping. Purchased our pop-up in 1999, and had 3 travel trailers and 1 fifth wheel since then.

I'm now a grandfather of 7 kids. And the first RV/camping forum I participated in was in 2004 when the public internet was still in it's infancy. Cell phones were not common yet then.

I suppose what I'm saying is, I'm an old fart! In many more ways than 1.

I had to laugh at that statement about "old timers." Sorry, folks, I just felt it was necessary to lighten the mood on this thread a little!

Yep, I'm having one of those night I can't sleep. The little girl doggie woke me up and wanted to go out potty. That got me awake, couldn't go back to sleep. So, here it is right now 5:12 am. Sheesh! When you retire, aren't you suppose to sleep IN and sleep LATE!

The good thing is, we're sitting at a state Park in Indiana right now, so it doesn't matter, light or dark, day or night, life is good!
Old 04-13-2023, 02:10 PM   #44
Bill-2020

I was wrong, it’s 16K, not 18 as I previously stated. The 18’s are in the B&W companion line I think. In case OP is still watching...
Old 04-13-2023, 02:48 PM   #45
Hawkeye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I was wrong, it’s 16K, not 18 as I previously stated. The 18’s are in the B&W companion line I think. In case OP is still watching...
Still here and I appreciate the replies to my question.
Thank you.
Hawkeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #46
art m

bw 18k slider

me and they wife just bought a 5th wheel . bought a bw patriot 18 slider hitch had about 5 1/2 inches clearance over the side of my 2022 chev 2500 duramax havent beenout to use it yet just towed it home and then to storage
art m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:35 AM   #47
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1 View Post
I have a F250 super duty short bed with high bed rails (22") and pull a cougar with the road armor pin box. I get very close to the back of the cab when manouvering but my biggest issue is the bed rail clearance.
My current Reese Elite hitch at the highest setting and pin box at the lowest only gives me around 4 1/2" clearance.
We have been on a seasonal site for 3 years but want to travel more this year.
Open to looking at sliders, goosebox, goose neck or fixed hitches. I have the factory oem puck system fitted in the truck.
What would your recommendations be for a hitch giving more clearance on both the bed rails and the cab?
2 things to think about here:

One: You're already overweight for that F250.
Two: Doesn't matter how much clearance you have between your bed rails and your trailer, if your trailer is not able to set level on level ground.

These are not optional. They are facts which need to be addressed.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:43 AM   #48
WDPatterson

Quote:
100%. We all know the stickers on 3/4 tons are skewed to keep them under the commercial vehicle regulations.
And yet, pulling with a 3/4 ton truck is so different than pulling with a one ton truck.
Like night and day.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:52 AM   #49
WDPatterson

Quote:
Was that with the 6 3/4 bed? Were you able to use the hitch with the ball receiver forward of the pinbox to give extra cab clearance?
They actually have a version of the Anderson Ultimate Hitch which staggers to the rear for short beds.
If what you're looking for is clearance to turn sharper, that's what you want to look at. It doesn't slide, it remains rigid, and it's extremely light weight for installation and removal. At over 50000 pounds yield, it should do your job quite well.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:57 AM   #50
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not being a smart a## but driving a semi for 40 years doesn't automatically give anyone a leg up on towing safely from my perch. I've been run off the road, narrowly missed being hit head on but but survived by driving off the road, almost totaled by a semi sliding down the road on its side coming at me in my lane, blown off the road etc. etc. etc. more times than I could ever count. People don't get killed by them because they give them a wide berth and are wary of them, not because the drivers are super competent. I also see them shut down all over the place (oil country) by the commercial troopers and taking the back roads all the time because they're overweight. Our county is now formulating a plan for their law enforcement units to start targeting semis due to their poor safety practices so just sayin. I will also say in all fairness I have seen some darn good semi drivers but they are getting fewer and fewer. JMO/YMMV
You just reminded me of a video I saw on YouTube, about 2 weeks ago. The guy was hauling Elvis Presley's old jet to Jimmy's place down in Florida from Roswell New Mexico. The guy was literally traveling at night, so he wouldn't get stopped for the weigh station. They got him anyway, because he stuck out like a sore thumb.
Fortunately, the guy was under weight. But, he made several statements about having to dodge weigh stations and troopers, because he and others were often overloaded.

That stuff sticks in your mind. It doesn't get overlooked.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:02 AM   #51
WDPatterson

Quote:
Thank you, as I stated I know I am over on my pin weight when fully loaded. Leaning towards the Anderson hitch after hearing it should give more clearance on my bed rails and the off set hitch will help with cab clearance and just to appease the doomsday squad it will help with weight. 🤣
The Anderson hitch will also do wonders for your back.
Before my Anderson ultimate hit, I had a B&W Companion Hitch.
I hated having to take the B&W apart, so I left it in the bed. My truck got stolen out of the driveway with that hitch and 40 years worth of tools.
2 months later, I got an F350 with a long bed, put the Anderson hitch in it, and I can turn over 90゚ without a problem.
I have no risk of being overloaded, I have plenty of room for expansion, and the ride is like I don't even have a trailer back there.
Trust me when I tell you:
How you feel at the end of your drive is as important as anything else. Driving with less stress makes you safer.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:07 AM   #52
WDPatterson

Quote:
Are you referring to MY POS 6.0 Ford Diesel with aluminum tripod hitch? I don't think I am over my payload and find comments kind of ironic from a guy with no truck, hitch or camper. I like my truck because it is paid for. The OP may or may not have a diesel but if he does, it is a 6.7L which is a step above most of the rest. Wish I could afford one. Danny, brand related insults seldom add anything to any discussion...
I wish Danny was 100% correct. A tripod hitch, instead of a 4-sided hitch would probably be only 20 pounds, instead of 35.
🤣😂🤪😜🤓😏😎🥳
Old 04-16-2023, 01:40 PM   #53
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
I wish Danny was 100% correct. A tripod hitch, instead of a 4-sided hitch would probably be only 20 pounds, instead of 35.
🤣😂🤪😜🤓😏😎🥳
Its amazing how a person can be so hostile to a hitch that person has never personally used. You often hear, "I heard this from a friend" or "I saw this in a video". I have quite a few miles using my Andersen Ultimate hitch and mine is STEEL (wish I had not been cheap and bought the aluminum version) as it would have made taking it out of the bed even easier. My hitch is probably 50-75 lbs?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:17 PM   #54
WDPatterson

Quote:
Its amazing how a person can be so hostile to a hitch that person has never personally used. You often hear, "I heard this from a friend" or "I saw this in a video". I have quite a few miles using my Andersen Ultimate hitch and mine is STEEL (wish I had not been cheap and bought the aluminum version) as it would have made taking it out of the bed even easier. My hitch is probably 50-75 lbs?
I count myself extremely fortunate, George. The timing of everything, and the way this hitch works so well it straight out of heaven.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:28 PM   #55
Sooner

We have the same set up

Quote:
I have a F250 super duty short bed with high bed rails (22") and pull a cougar with the road armor pin box. I get very close to the back of the cab when manouvering but my biggest issue is the bed rail clearance.
My current Reese Elite hitch at the highest setting and pin box at the lowest only gives me around 4 1/2" clearance.
We have been on a seasonal site for 3 years but want to travel more this year.
Open to looking at sliders, goosebox, goose neck or fixed hitches. I have the factory oem puck system fitted in the truck.
What would your recommendations be for a hitch giving more clearance on both the bed rails and the cab?
We also have a short bed pickup and Cougar. We had a Sidewinder hitch installed. We never worried again about hitting the cab. It isn’t a slider but set in such a way that it clears - even on those ify turns.
Having no bed rails, we didn’t face that problem. I can’t help you with that part of your problem. I’m sure a reputable dealer can advise you about that.
Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:52 PM   #56
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
And yet, pulling with a 3/4 ton truck is so different than pulling with a one ton truck.
Like night and day.
While I don’t condone/encourage towing over GVWR for others, I did it for the better part of seven year wit our 2001 Ram 2500 towing a 13,000# 5th wheel, and 1,700# over GVWR of 8,800#. As to the difference between towing stability between a 250/2500 and a 350/3500 SRW is negligible. In most cases the biggest difference is springs. There is the possibility that if the 250/2500 may come with lower rated tires, if the wheels and tires are the same, then the biggest difference is the payload sticker.
When we moved up 15 model year to a DRW, yes more power, and better gears, but the big difference was four tires in the rear, far more stable.

The biggest reason for me was too many hungry lawyers looking to make money.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:33 PM   #57
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
While I don’t condone/encourage towing over GVWR for others, I did it for the better part of seven year wit our 2001 Ram 2500 towing a 13,000# 5th wheel, and 1,700# over GVWR of 8,800#. As to the difference between towing stability between a 250/2500 and a 350/3500 SRW is negligible. In most cases the biggest difference is springs. There is the possibility that if the 250/2500 may come with lower rated tires, if the wheels and tires are the same, then the biggest difference is the payload sticker.
When we moved up 15 model year to a DRW, yes more power, and better gears, but the big difference was four tires in the rear, far more stable.

The biggest reason for me was too many hungry lawyers looking to make money.
Russ, Insurance companies search for ways to avoid making pay outs in wrecks and hire investigators and lawyers who are savvy about things like payload. When they come after you and if you are overloaded, they will get you. Lawyers are not the problem, it is expecting to get away with being overloaded and not expecting it to catch up to you. Many go for years with no repercussions but once in awhile someone gets caught up and it can break their pocketbook long term. If someone else is injured, you know that the insurance company will be invested in chasing the overloaded party.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:26 AM   #58
rhagfo

Quote:
Russ, Insurance companies search for ways to avoid making pay outs in wrecks and hire investigators and lawyers who are savvy about things like payload. When they come after you and if you are overloaded, they will get you. Lawyers are not the problem, it is expecting to get away with being overloaded and not expecting it to catch up to you. Many go for years with no repercussions but once in awhile someone gets caught up and it can break their pocketbook long term. If someone else is injured, you know that the insurance company will be invested in chasing the overloaded party.
Well I believe that insurance companies are required to payout, most likely they will then cancel your policy, and any new policy will cost you $$$$$$.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:52 AM   #59
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well I believe that insurance companies are required to payout, most likely they will then cancel your policy, and any new policy will cost you $$$$$$.
I am not an insurance expert by any means but seems to me if they find out you were in violation of the law, they can skip payout. Same if you are drunk and cause a wreck or injure someone, I don't think they will pay. Maybe someone with more knowledge of this issue can chime in.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:14 AM   #60
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I am not an insurance expert by any means but seems to me if they find out you were in violation of the law, they can skip payout. Same if you are drunk and cause a wreck or injure someone, I don't think they will pay. Maybe someone with more knowledge of this issue can chime in.
It's my understanding that they WILL pay, if you are in violation of the law... If you're DWI or speeding or driving onto an onramp the wrong direction, you're in violation of the law, but they pay anyway....

The "way they avoid paying" is not if you're "violating a law" but if you're "breaking the contract for insurance you have with them".... They write in an amendment to your policy that you'll not violate the terms of the insurance contract you signed with them..... Then, they put a list of amendments on the back of your policy. One of those amendments is that you'll follow the guidlines for safe operation as published by the vehicle manufacturer. Violate that and they can refuse to pay....

A catfish (fresh water shark, bottom eating lawyer, etc) once told me to always remember: The large print giveth and the small print taketh away....

So, read all that small print at the bottom of every page of your insurance policy (not the insurance card you keep with your registration, but the "general rules for insurance attachment (the 450 page document referenced in your 5 or 6 page policy) and you'll find lots of surprises"....... That book is filled with small print, all authorized by the insurance commissioner for your state..... Michigan is different from Texas, so you may have a 600 page attachment or a 100 page attachment, but that's where you'll find all the provisions you agreed to that give them the right to refuse to pay your claim.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch