Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2023, 07:42 AM   #21
tallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1 View Post
Was that with the 6 3/4 bed? Were you able to use the hitch with the ball receiver forward of the pinbox to give extra cab clearance?

I just put a tape on my truck bed, and it is 6' 10". I have the old flip up goose ball over the axle, and with my side walls on this bed, I bought the Anderson 3217. I have great turning radius, with it too. I can not go full 90, but I can get close enough for all the tight turns I need to do. I do have the ball receiver forwards, to give me that better cab clearance.

If I wanted to bring the nose of the 5ther closer to the cab, I will just spin that ball receiver on the king pin, but like they say that will limit you more on how far you can turn.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:28 AM   #22
travelin texans

I just added all this up!
A POS 6.0 Ford diesel with a 35lb aluminum tripod hitch towing 1200-1500lbs over GVWR & all is well 'cause the tags on the door jamb are just Guberment nonsense!??
Got it!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:42 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I've only been driving semi trucks fir 40 years so looking forward to you teaching me the intricacies of towing safely.
Learning every day.

I'm not being a smart a## but driving a semi for 40 years doesn't automatically give anyone a leg up on towing safely from my perch. I've been run off the road, narrowly missed being hit head on but but survived by driving off the road, almost totaled by a semi sliding down the road on its side coming at me in my lane, blown off the road etc. etc. etc. more times than I could ever count. People don't get killed by them because they give them a wide berth and are wary of them, not because the drivers are super competent. I also see them shut down all over the place (oil country) by the commercial troopers and taking the back roads all the time because they're overweight. Our county is now formulating a plan for their law enforcement units to start targeting semis due to their poor safety practices so just sayin. I will also say in all fairness I have seen some darn good semi drivers but they are getting fewer and fewer. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:57 AM   #24
Hawkeye1

"Not being a smart a## but" was all I needed to read.
Hawkeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:58 AM   #25
Matty Rich

There is so much misinformation here. It’s sad.
1. The OP didn’t give much info on his truck other than year and model. We don’t know his payload. He may have a gas motor and have around 3k of payload.
2. A basic google search of his trailer shows a pin weight of 2k, yes that printed and most trailers are heavier once loaded. But to say he’s probably 3500-4000k pin weight is just ridiculous. Let the scale decide that.
3. Also don’t know how he travels. Maybe he travels light and doesn’t have much in the truck. Again. Let the scales decide that.

The brochure lists my pin weight for my trailer at #3120. Guess what it scaled at full loaded? #3200 and #17000 GTRW.
I also have an Andersen hitch. Yes the #40 hitch you mentioned is rated up to #4500 pin and #20000 GTRW.
Guess what. It’s an awesome hitch and has been rock solid. It also saves my about #200 of payload.

Everyone has their preferred setup, others are seeking answers to help with their setup. Point being, stop assuming and being so dramatic. Help when you can help or keep scrolling.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:34 AM   #26
Hawkeye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Rich View Post
There is so much misinformation here. It’s sad.
1. The OP didn’t give much info on his truck other than year and model. We don’t know his payload. He may have a gas motor and have around 3k of payload.
2. A basic google search of his trailer shows a pin weight of 2k, yes that printed and most trailers are heavier once loaded. But to say he’s probably 3500-4000k pin weight is just ridiculous. Let the scale decide that.
3. Also don’t know how he travels. Maybe he travels light and doesn’t have much in the truck. Again. Let the scales decide that.

The brochure lists my pin weight for my trailer at #3120. Guess what it scaled at full loaded? #3200 and #17000 GTRW.
I also have an Andersen hitch. Yes the #40 hitch you mentioned is rated up to #4500 pin and #20000 GTRW.
Guess what. It’s an awesome hitch and has been rock solid. It also saves my about #200 of payload.

Everyone has their preferred setup, others are seeking answers to help with their setup. Point being, stop assuming and being so dramatic. Help when you can help or keep scrolling.
Thank you, as I stated I know I am over on my pin weight when fully loaded. Leaning towards the Anderson hitch after hearing it should give more clearance on my bed rails and the off set hitch will help with cab clearance and just to appease the doomsday squad it will help with weight. 🤣
Old 04-12-2023, 10:10 AM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Thank you. That was my point. If you’re not gonna answer the question, then keep scrolling.
Stop trolling. Not everyone needs a lecture about payload capacity or door jam stickers.
not everyone needs a lecture on what to respond to and what they are “allowed” to say……who are you to get so offended and who made you the forum response police???…it’s still a free country ( most places) and as long as someone is following the forum rules then they have every right to respond how they want to…i’m glad these guys were around for me or i wouldn’t have realized my truck situation.

kinda hypocritical that you didn’t like their response and didn’t just “ keep scrolling”

i’m pretty sure the older experienced guys on the forum have seen argumentative people come and go on the forum and doubt you will change the way they conduct themselves.

on a side note if you read the lawsuit about the football quarterback who was hit and killed last year on the Florida highway…the lawyer is suing the dump truck driver along with a bunch of other people and suing for excessive payload among other things …so they do look for those things when an accident happens at last commercially…it isn’t a stretch to see them look at big rvs the same
Old 04-12-2023, 10:21 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

Brian -

1.. Would like to point out that you didn't capitalize the first word in your opening statement.

2. Are you not a citizen of the People's Republic of Maryland? Do citizens of that state still have 1st Amendment rights?

3. Who are you specifically referring to as "older experienced guys"? Am I old?

4. Our truck driving friends who have voluminous over the road driving experience should know what investigators; especially insurance and LEO will look at if there is a serious crash with a big rig. If someone is injured? Hmmmm. Perhaps pulling out a Teamsters member ID will get you off the hook?

5. Why has no one recommended air bags? BTW: If someone wants to tow and is seriously overloaded and knows it, then best wishes and good luck. Pointing out an overloaded condition is just a courtesy and gives the opportunity to some who are oblivious to safety issues for themselves and those around them the license to object to the "weight police". The good Lord loves you too.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:34 AM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Brian -

1.. Would like to point out that you didn't capitalize the first word in your opening statement.

2. Are you not a citizen of the People's Republic of Maryland? Do citizens of that state still have 1st Amendment rights?

3. Who are you specifically referring to as "older experienced guys"? Am I old?

4. Our truck driving friends who have voluminous over the road driving experience should know what investigators; especially insurance and LEO will look at if there is a serious crash with a big rig. If someone is injured? Hmmmm. Perhaps pulling out a Teamsters member ID will get you off the hook?

5. Why has no one recommended air bags? BTW: If someone wants to tow and is seriously overloaded and knows it, then best wishes and good luck. Pointing out an overloaded condition is just a courtesy and gives the opportunity to some who are oblivious to safety issues for themselves and those around them the license to object to the "weight police". The good Lord loves you too.

Yes i realize i compose my paragraphs like a 9 year old …i also draw pictures to go along with them( my wife puts those on the refrigerator)

I meant older as far as being on the forum
I read an enormous amount of books but my adhd or possibly disgraphia? makes it harder for me to express my thoughts cohesively and with proper punctuation and sentence structure ..lol

You should here me in a conversation..charming …riveting,witty and articulate but alas i’m stuck with punching letters on a keyboard and the criticism that goes along with it..
Old 04-12-2023, 10:58 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I just added all this up!
A POS 6.0 Ford diesel with a 35lb aluminum tripod hitch towing 1200-1500lbs over GVWR & all is well 'cause the tags on the door jamb are just Guberment nonsense!??
Got it!
Are you referring to MY POS 6.0 Ford Diesel with aluminum tripod hitch? I don't think I am over my payload and find comments kind of ironic from a guy with no truck, hitch or camper. I like my truck because it is paid for. The OP may or may not have a diesel but if he does, it is a 6.7L which is a step above most of the rest. Wish I could afford one. Danny, brand related insults seldom add anything to any discussion...
Old 04-12-2023, 10:59 AM   #31
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yes i realize i compose my paragraphs like a 9 year old …i also draw pictures to go along with them( my wife puts those on the refrigerator)

I meant older as far as being on the forum
I read an enormous amount of books but my adhd or possibly disgraphia? makes it harder for me to express my thoughts cohesively and with proper punctuation and sentence structure ..lol

You should here me in a conversation..charming …riveting,witty and articulate but alas i’m stuck with punching letters on a keyboard and the criticism that goes along with it..
Apparently my sarcasm is lost on the less sophisticated.... bwhahahaha (I am a Texas redneck).
Old 04-12-2023, 11:06 AM   #32
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Apparently my sarcasm is lost on the less sophisticated.... bwhahahaha (I am a Texas redneck).
I wasn’t offended! …i like the banter and dry humor on the forum
Old 04-12-2023, 11:21 AM   #33
notanlines

As you old-timers can imagine (yes you George) I’m reading all this with a smile on my face! Few things draw more interest than poking a dog with a stick through a fence. ��
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:26 AM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
As you old-timers can imagine (yes you George) I’m reading all this with a smile on my face! Few things draw more interest than poking a dog with a stick through a fence. ��
You can say that again…..I will now finish my lunch and get back to work on crashed RV’s.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:38 PM   #35
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
not everyone needs a lecture on what to respond to and what they are “allowed” to say……who are you to get so offended and who made you the forum response police???…it’s still a free country ( most places) and as long as someone is following the forum rules then they have every right to respond how they want to…i’m glad these guys were around for me or i wouldn’t have realized my truck situation.

kinda hypocritical that you didn’t like their response and didn’t just “ keep scrolling”

i’m pretty sure the older experienced guys on the forum have seen argumentative people come and go on the forum and doubt you will change the way they conduct themselves.

on a side note if you read the lawsuit about the football quarterback who was hit and killed last year on the Florida highway…the lawyer is suing the dump truck driver along with a bunch of other people and suing for excessive payload among other things …so they do look for those things when an accident happens at last commercially…it isn’t a stretch to see them look at big rvs the same

I think you may have missed my point here. And that’s okay. I don’t mean to come across as argumentative; just stating the fact that replying to a question with a problem, won’t answer the question and in turn just cause more problems.

Sure this is a free place and I’m in no way trying to police comments, again just stating the obvious in which the man asked a question and without any solid information, someone just jumped in and didn’t even try to help answer the question.

I normally do keep scrolling but something about that just bothers me, and instead of scrolling, for once I decided to speak on it. That’s all.

And I do appreciate all the senior members and experienced folks on this forum, they have helped me in the past and I see them helping others daily. Literally daily, it’s usually the same handful of guys that provide responses to almost every post. All very knowledgeable and willing to help.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:49 PM   #36
jasin1

Quote:
I think you may have missed my point here. And that’s okay. I don’t mean to come across as argumentative; just stating the fact that replying to a question with a problem, won’t answer the question and in turn just cause more problems.

Sure this is a free place and I’m in no way trying to police comments, again just stating the obvious in which the man asked a question and without any solid information, someone just jumped in and didn’t even try to help answer the question.

I normally do keep scrolling but something about that just bothers me, and instead of scrolling, for once I decided to speak on it. That’s all.

And I do appreciate all the senior members and experienced folks on this forum, they have helped me in the past and I see them helping others daily. Literally daily, it’s usually the same handful of guys that provide responses to almost every post. All very knowledgeable and willing to help.
Well that certainly was a nice response…i take back my i’ll feelings towards you and any bad juju i wished your way ….you seem reasonable and “good people” as far as i’m concerned…i may have been a little harsh
Old 04-12-2023, 01:59 PM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

At this point, my only question is, should we all shake hands and call this thread DONE?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 02:02 PM   #38
Hawkeye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
At this point, my only question is, should we all shake hands and call this thread DONE?
Let's move on...unless there are any hitch recommendations 🤣
Old 04-12-2023, 03:54 PM   #39
Camping family

I have the pull right slider in mine. Prior to the f350 it was in my f250. Love it works great plenty clearance of bed rails and rear of cab.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:12 PM   #40
Bill-2020

Quote:
Let's move on...unless there are any hitch recommendations 🤣
Check out B&W - I have their 18K Patriot. Bed rail clearance is at 7" with the same bed wall height of 22". I recall that I'm one hole lower on the hitch adjustment as well so I could go up another inch but I'd also be a bit nose high.
Also have the same pinbox as you I believe.

Tags
5th wheel, hitch