Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
gearhead

It’s all good.

The son is a I&C tech with super major Chevron. Was asked to work an inside job troubleshooting control valves. It’s a gravy train job. Lots of training. Knowledge of fiber optics and advanced controls. Reputation across the Gulf Coast.
Daughter took a promotion today with Humana. Work at home, maybe a trip to HQ a couple times a year. 22% raise.
SIL got his PE in EE. Masters degree in 2 more semesters.
Paw paw had to get BB to watch him get out of the bathtub tonight.
Living the dream…
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:03 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
The son is a I&C tech with super major Chevron. Was asked to work an inside job troubleshooting control valves. It’s a gravy train job. Lots of training. Knowledge of fiber optics and advanced controls. Reputation across the Gulf Coast.
Daughter took a promotion today with Humana. Work at home, maybe a trip to HQ a couple times a year. 22% raise.
SIL got his PE in EE. Masters degree in 2 more semesters.
Paw paw had to get BB to watch him get out of the bathtub tonight.
Living the dream…
In English please!
Talked to a retired high school English teacher that said her reason for retirement was that none of the kids could spell, they all used the texting shorthand & acronyms that she had trouble deciphering. No one used punctuation or knew where it went. No one could write in cursive. No one in the entire school had manners or common courtesy, never heard "please" or "thank you" from any one. And final straw was she scolded a kid, he stood up & told her to "go #### yourself", she took him to the office & before the class ended he was back in his seat smiling, no apology, no disciplinary action at all by the school.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
dutchmensport

It sounds like your kids are doing well in their chosen life styles. I don't understand all the lingo, but I suppose that's not important, as long as they are happy. Success is not about money, power, or prestige you know. It's about being "content" with yourself, the world around you, and your creator. So many folks are not happy with themselves. In fact, a most people if you asked them, actually hate themselves. So they do stupid things in an attempt to find their own self-worth, achieve self-satisfaction, and seeking approval from other people.

The fact is, tattoos, self-piercings, outlandish hair styles, jeweler adornment, expensive houses, fast cars, lavish lifestyles are all out cries of folks who have some really deep seated problems with self-worth. No matter what they do, no matter how far they go, no matter what they attempt, will never bring what they are really wanting ... contentment!

We told our kids from the time they were very little, that all we wanted for them in life was to be at peace with themselves, be content in whatever situation they find themselves in, and rest assured that success does not need anyone's approval. Success, happiness, and joy come from within, not without.

Your kids sound like they are achieving their dreams. You are fortunate.

Think positive...??? You took a bath. That's more than some folks can do!
Old 04-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

" tattoos, self-piercings, outlandish hair styles, jeweler adornment, expensive houses, fast cars, lavish lifestyles are all out cries of folks who have some really deep seated problems with self-worth."

I don't know about this stuff but I watch "American Idol" with the missus as she loves that show. I love my wife... so I watch. I have noticed that all the young gals have nose rings. Geesh those are disgusting and how the heck can you "clean" your nose with one of those. Lots also have those little studs up on the side of the nostril. Do those things have backings like ear rings? And tats? Can you imagine how some of the youngersters will look when they get to be my age? (that is if they don't get hepatitis). All seems kind of silly to me but I think a lot of it comes from trying to make a statement from kids with no solid upbringing but then again, I am old and have lots of opinions.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I think I was about 7 or 8 when my grandpa patted the seat next to him on the old front porch swing and shared with me a few lines about life that I've never forgotten, and until I was about 50 or so, never really understood.... It goes something like this"

Boy (he called all his grandsons "boy" and all his grandaughters "girl"). Anyway, he said, Boy, there's only one person in this world you can never lie to, and that's the ugly SOB you look at every morning in the mirror. If you can wink at him, tell him you're proud of what you did yesterday, then you're a successful man. If you can't look him in the eye and be proud of yourself, then TODAY is the only day you have to fix what went wrong with yesterday. You see, tomorrow, when you look into the mirror, you'd have two days of problems to fix, so always fix yesterday so tomorrow you can smile and be proud of who you see in the mirror......

It took me a long time to fully understand the gravity of that little bit of advice, but that was about 70 years ago that I was sitting on that swing and listening to him tell me stories about when he was a boy in the logging camps around Tylertown in south Mississippi and the things he did back then. It was so very interesting to listen to him and I'd suspect he just "sneaked that bit of advice into the conversation, but even though I've forgotten much of those old stories, that one, about the guy in the mirror, has stuck with me all these years...

We've always told our kids that as long as they are happy with what they've done and where they are headed, then we're happy for them and proud of them. One thing I've learned recently, is that even when kids grow up and leave the nest, being a dad doesn't end and someday in the future, if things come crashing down for our children, stepping up to help them over the cliff they're climbing is "just what dads do"....

Thinking about it, the day that doctor slapped each of them on the behind to get 'em started, is the first day of being a dad and none of us will ever see that last day of our obligation to our kids.

The older I get the more often I "postulate" about the "younger generations" and whether or not they have the same sense of obligation, the same feelings about patriotism, the same "need to do a good job for the people we work for" and that same desire to leave this earth just a little better than it was when we came into it. Some do, seems the older I get the more I see who just don't. And that is the part that it seems none of us know how to fix.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:52 PM   #6
Max23

I think of this every time I see a girl with a nose ring. Such an ugly thing for so many possibly pretty people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cow.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	43447  
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:30 PM   #7
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In English please!
Talked to a retired high school English teacher that said her reason for retirement was that none of the kids could spell, they all used the texting shorthand & acronyms that she had trouble deciphering. No one used punctuation or knew where it went. No one could write in cursive. No one in the entire school had manners or common courtesy, never heard "please" or "thank you" from any one. And final straw was she scolded a kid, he stood up & told her to "go #### yourself", she took him to the office & before the class ended he was back in his seat smiling, no apology, no disciplinary action at all by the school.
I&C is Instrument and Control….the computers that control the processes of making products in a chemical plant. Pretty much the top of the food chain of hourly types.
BB is my wife, grandma.
And BB is very aware of unruly kids in the classroom. She was the advanced math teacher in high school. She had a student body block her back onto her desk. Filed assault charges on her. Weirdly the kid was daughter of a co-worker. She was expelled from school.
PE is Professional Engineer. Most states have exams for college grads to take to be a licensed state engineer. Most employers value that license.
What did I miss?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-05-2023, 06:38 PM   #8
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think I was about 7 or 8 when my grandpa patted the seat next to him on the old front porch swing and shared with me a few lines about life that I've never forgotten, and until I was about 50 or so, never really understood.... It goes something like this"

Boy (he called all his grandsons "boy" and all his grandaughters "girl"). Anyway, he said, Boy, there's only one person in this world you can never lie to, and that's the ugly SOB you look at every morning in the mirror. If you can wink at him, tell him you're proud of what you did yesterday, then you're a successful man. If you can't look him in the eye and be proud of yourself, then TODAY is the only day you have to fix what went wrong with yesterday. You see, tomorrow, when you look into the mirror, you'd have two days of problems to fix, so always fix yesterday so tomorrow you can smile and be proud of who you see in the mirror......

It took me a long time to fully understand the gravity of that little bit of advice, but that was about 70 years ago that I was sitting on that swing and listening to him tell me stories about when he was a boy in the logging camps around Tylertown in south Mississippi and the things he did back then. It was so very interesting to listen to him and I'd suspect he just "sneaked that bit of advice into the conversation, but even though I've forgotten much of those old stories, that one, about the guy in the mirror, has stuck with me all these years...

We've always told our kids that as long as they are happy with what they've done and where they are headed, then we're happy for them and proud of them. One thing I've learned recently, is that even when kids grow up and leave the nest, being a dad doesn't end and someday in the future, if things come crashing down for our children, stepping up to help them over the cliff they're climbing is "just what dads do"....

Thinking about it, the day that doctor slapped each of them on the behind to get 'em started, is the first day of being a dad and none of us will ever see that last day of our obligation to our kids.

The older I get the more often I "postulate" about the "younger generations" and whether or not they have the same sense of obligation, the same feelings about patriotism, the same "need to do a good job for the people we work for" and that same desire to leave this earth just a little better than it was when we came into it. Some do, seems the older I get the more I see who just don't. And that is the part that it seems none of us know how to fix.....
Yes sir, I heard something similar.
Our grandkids are young. All 4 less than 6 years old.
We had kids late, and so did our kids.
I try to have conversations with the grandkids that they might remember. I think it may be a couple more years.
Hope I make it.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-05-2023, 06:43 PM   #9
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
It sounds like your kids are doing well in their chosen life styles. I don't understand all the lingo, but I suppose that's not important, as long as they are happy. Success is not about money, power, or prestige you know. It's about being "content" with yourself, the world around you, and your creator. So many folks are not happy with themselves. In fact, a most people if you asked them, actually hate themselves. So they do stupid things in an attempt to find their own self-worth, achieve self-satisfaction, and seeking approval from other people.

The fact is, tattoos, self-piercings, outlandish hair styles, jeweler adornment, expensive houses, fast cars, lavish lifestyles are all out cries of folks who have some really deep seated problems with self-worth. No matter what they do, no matter how far they go, no matter what they attempt, will never bring what they are really wanting ... contentment!

We told our kids from the time they were very little, that all we wanted for them in life was to be at peace with themselves, be content in whatever situation they find themselves in, and rest assured that success does not need anyone's approval. Success, happiness, and joy come from within, not without.

Your kids sound like they are achieving their dreams. You are fortunate.

Think positive...??? You took a bath. That's more than some folks can do!
No tats. No purple hair.
They even go to church!
A bum knee and a bad back, getting out of the tub is a challenge.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-05-2023, 07:16 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yes sir, I heard something similar.
Our grandkids are young. All 4 less than 6 years old.
We had kids late, and so did our kids.
I try to have conversations with the grandkids that they might remember. I think it may be a couple more years.
Hope I make it.

Yes, wait a couple of years...or a few more. Did lots of things, made many memorable trips, did lots of Grandpa things when my DDs 2 daughters were in the 5-8 range...not much is remembered. Now things past 10/12 or so they recall well - they just still can't remember how to hook a worm...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:38 PM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes, wait a couple of years...or a few more. Did lots of things, made many memorable trips, did lots of Grandpa things when my DDs 2 daughters were in the 5-8 range...not much is remembered. Now things past 10/12 or so they recall well - they just still can't remember how to hook a worm...
We are all in the same small town, so we see the grands often. I pick up the 5 yr old daily from pre kindergarten.
The usual T ball games and Saturday afternoon back porch gatherings.
Hopefully more get togethers.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-05-2023, 07:52 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
We are all in the same small town, so we see the grands often. I pick up the 5 yr old daily from pre kindergarten.
The usual T ball games and Saturday afternoon back porch gatherings.
Hopefully more get togethers.

My DD's daughters are now 23/25. They literally lived with us from the time they hit grade school through junior high. We had a vacation home in the mountains and by a stroke of luck they were relocated so they could live there. We then spent most of the year there and with them. Keep at it, work with them and do things they remember; the girls remember my cooking; bbq; me making a tree swing on the side of a mountain; cutting Christmas trees in the snow with the Jeep; pulling them on sleds with a horse; me baiting their hooks and catching their first fish - little stuff but not everyday stuff - they don't remember a lot of the regular stuff but they know it happened. Have fun while you can.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:11 AM   #13
spade117

I have tattoos and piercings and am very content with my life.

Some of our children do as well, and they have had a pretty solid upbringing.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:02 AM   #14
notanlines

Like most of you, our adult life has Been fraught with ups and downs. We have experienced many more ups than down. We have a grand working on her masters at U of M, a grand at Miss State on scholarship, a grand graduating high school-in May. But I can also tell you that I couldn’t be more proud of our granddaughter who, at 23, finally went back to high school and will receive her diploma in May. God is good!
Tat’s and rings? Man, live and let live. DW and I are just too old for such things. What you do to your body is fine with me. However, there might be a special place in hell for people who put ear rings in their babies. Maybe not a permanent stop in hell, just long enough to let you know maybe that baby should have been old enough to make their own decision.
Work hard at being happy with your circumstances. Always have some goals for the future, and remember, he who dies with the fastest toys wins!! Yes, I had to throw in a little humor….
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:20 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Like most of you, our adult life has Been fraught with ups and downs. We have experienced many more ups than down. We have a grand working on her masters at U of M, a grand at Miss State on scholarship, a grand graduating high school-in May. But I can also tell you that I couldn’t be more proud of our granddaughter who, at 23, finally went back to high school and will receive her diploma in May. God is good!
Tat’s and rings? Man, live and let live. DW and I are just too old for such things. What you do to your body is fine with me. However, there might be a special place in hell for people who put ear rings in their babies. Maybe not a permanent stop in hell, just long enough to let you know maybe that baby should have been old enough to make their own decision.
Work hard at being happy with your circumstances. Always have some goals for the future, and remember, he who dies with the fastest toys wins!! Yes, I had to throw in a little humor….

LOL! Ain't it the truth! I finally decided (actually DW twisted my torn up shoulder) that the saying is true because "fast" and the toys WERE going to kill me...so I gave them up. Still I'm drawn to a Stingray C8 Z06 if I can find one and write a check without DW detaching my writing hand....
Old 04-12-2023, 06:02 PM   #16
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
LOL! Ain't it the truth! I finally decided (actually DW twisted my torn up shoulder) that the saying is true because "fast" and the toys WERE going to kill me...so I gave them up. Still I'm drawn to a Stingray C8 Z06 if I can find one and write a check without DW detaching my writing hand....
Oh Lord, I wish I hadn't sold my Vette. I look at slightly used ones on Corvettes of Dallas/Houston. Heck I don’t even need a Z06, just a black on black regular one.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 04-13-2023, 10:17 AM   #17
notanlines

Brent, remember the VP of GM once said “All Corvettes are red! The rest are imposters.”
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:33 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Brent, remember the VP of GM once said “All Corvettes are red! The rest are imposters.”
Not any more !!!!! If you're looking to get a new Corvette, you might want to start looking sooner rather than later...

Here's a recent article about the 2025 Corvette SUV!!!!! (and it's BLUE, not RED)... This thing makes the eMustang almost look "sporty".... YECHT !!!!!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...0Non%20Openers

YES, Dorothy, there are some strange things down that rabbit hole !!!!! Things like a turbocharged 4 and a twin turbo V-6 ????? What are they thinking ?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CORVETTE.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	43510  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:56 PM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not any more !!!!! If you're looking to get a new Corvette, you might want to start looking sooner rather than later...

Here's a recent article about the 2025 Corvette SUV!!!!! (and it's BLUE, not RED)... This thing makes the eMustang almost look "sporty".... YECHT !!!!!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...0Non%20Openers

YES, Dorothy, there are some strange things down that rabbit hole !!!!! Things like a turbocharged 4 and a twin turbo V-6 ????? What are they thinking ?????
I'm guessing automakers are using already popular names for these newer vehicles in order that someone may be interested in buying them so they can tell others I own a Corvette or a Mustang. Both of which if it weren't for emblems they'd be just another SUV.
This so called Corvette is no more a Corvette than the Mach E Mustang is a Mustang.
Then there's the Maverick wanna be truck that started out as an economy car in the 70's. Which was a decent car, my Mom had a Maverick & I had it's cousin the Mercury Comet. Now its a SUV with a birth defect.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 04:34 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

I wonder if I can get a, "magnetorheological dampers an optional extra" for my clunker. Sounds really cool. To all you guys who have owned Vettes... bwhahahaha That blue thing looks a lot like an Equinox. Nothing like a zillion horsepower grocery getter with car seats in the back (starting at $60K).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote