Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2023, 03:37 PM   #1
Gypsy-Monk

Removed furnace, fridge no work

Hello everyone! First post here, and i do need some help if y'all are down.

So i removed the furnace out of my 2007 Keystone springdale travel trailer. Jst snipped all the wires comming outta the wall and capped 'em off. Problem is that the red/black wires (two differnt wires separately encased but the cases are connected in the center running the length of the wire) sparked a bit cuz i shorted the circuit with my blade, and now my fridge dont work.

I replaced the burnt 15amp blade fuse in the fuse box. Neither the 3amp blade nor the other tubey clear glass fuse on the board blew.

So im thinking that the circuit runs through the furnace and i disconnected it by chopping the furnace out.

If this be the case, which wires do i connect back 2gthr?

Cant find the correct wiring diagram for this thing. Thanx!!
Gypsy-Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:58 PM   #2
bobbecky

Sounds like you probably tripped a 120 volt AC breaker when you shorted the two wires that sparked. If you have reconnected the wires that feed the fridge, resetting the breaker should get you going again. The furnace runs off of 12 volts DC.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:25 PM   #3
Gypsy-Monk

I have doubts that the furnace blower ran of 12v DC, but that is most likely neither here nor there.

No breakers were tripped when i cut the wires, jst a blew a 15amp blade fuse for that circuit.

Would love to jst connect a couple wires 2gthr that were going to the furnace and POOF...fridge workie. Here to figure out which wires them wud be.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:43 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The red and black wires are 12V feed to the furnace. DO NOT connect them together, and leave the 2 blue wires alone.

You need to check the 12VDC feed to the fridge. If you don’t have 12V then start checking ALL the 12V fuses in the fuse panel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Monk View Post
Hello everyone! First post here, and i do need some help if y'all are down.

So i removed the furnace out of my 2007 Keystone springdale travel trailer. Jst snipped all the wires comming outta the wall and capped 'em off. Problem is that the red/black wires (two differnt wires separately encased but the cases are connected in the center running the length of the wire) sparked a bit cuz i shorted the circuit with my blade, and now my fridge dont work.

I replaced the burnt 15amp blade fuse in the fuse box. Neither the 3amp blade nor the other tubey clear glass fuse on the board blew.

So im thinking that the circuit runs through the furnace and i disconnected it by chopping the furnace out.

If this be the case, which wires do i connect back 2gthr?

Cant find the correct wiring diagram for this thing. Thanx!!

Please be mindful of posting standards which are available in the forum Community Rules located in the banner at the bottom of each page;

"Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately. Excessive use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc) is discouraged and posts that are difficult to read may be edited or deleted."
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:24 AM   #6
Gypsy-Monk

Ok. Allow me to rephrase my situation:

There are no longer any blown fuses or any tripped breakers. The only fuse that blew was a 15amp blade fuse for that circuit, which i replaced. The Dometic fridge still doesnt work.

Therefore, simply insisting i check the fuses again isnt a viable course of action.

If i have changed nothing accept disconnecting the furnace and blowing that one 15amp blade fuse (which i replaced), then why doesn't my fridge work anymore?
Thank you
Old 03-28-2023, 04:48 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

No one knows what you did but you. You've been advised that the furnace fan runs of 12vdc, it does. Your fridge runs off 12vdc. You cut a wire and shorted a 12vdc circuit resulting in a blown fuse which you said you replaced. Your fridge is not normally looped through the furnace so you apparently caused an issue upstream (electrically) from where you cut the wire depending on what you cut, where you cut it and what you put back together - none of us has any idea. Do you have a VOM and know how to use it?
Old 03-28-2023, 04:49 AM   #8
gkainz

I'm going to hazard a guess that in cutting the wiring to the furnace, that you also ended up cutting a power feed to the fridge. I suspect that fridge power was somehow daisy chained through the furnace wiring.

About the only way I can think of to resolve this would be to start at the fridge and trace the wiring back towards the fuse panel.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:04 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I'm going to hazard a guess that in cutting the wiring to the furnace, that you also ended up cutting a power feed to the fridge. I suspect that fridge power was somehow daisy chained through the furnace wiring.

About the only way I can think of to resolve this would be to start at the fridge and trace the wiring back towards the fuse panel.

I think you are probably correct. Sounds like OP cut the wiring at a junction that feeds the furnace then capped the wires interrupting the fridge circuit. Without eyes on it or a picture all one can do is guess.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:21 AM   #10
jasin1

also look and see if there is a fuse on the refrigerator circuit board at the refrigerator itself
Old 03-28-2023, 06:19 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I sure hope he didn’t connect the red and black wires together

This is a good example of knowing when NOT to take on a task that involves electrical without having basic knowledge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:54 AM   #12
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I sure hope he didn’t connect the red and black wires together

This is a good example of knowing when NOT to take on a task that involves electrical without having basic knowledge.
I appreciate your professional stance on this particular post, but it almost seems phony, like a bad joke. I can't stop shaking my head and thinking that someone would actually do this so haphazardly. I could be wrong...
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:11 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
I appreciate your professional stance on this particular post, but it almost seems phony, like a bad joke. I can't stop shaking my head and thinking that someone would actually do this so haphazardly. I could be wrong...
It doesn't have to be "someone that doesn't know which end of a phillips screwdriver needs to be held in your hand" to haphazardly take on a task...

I know lots of people who know how to work on "vacuum tube televisions" and have "years of experience in fixing them"... (me included).... So, why not take off the back of a flat screen TV "just to see if there's a blown fuse" ????

Once the back is off, that's when "I" start wondering if I can "just move that circuit board to get to the power connector fuse block or if I need to move both to get to it......

It didn't start out "haphazardly" but can quickly turn into a "do I or don't I" situation, and being inside the trailer bowels, the "do I" often outweighs the "don't I" response....And that's when the "haphazardly" begins to unfold ..... BTDT

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It doesn't have to be "someone that doesn't know which end of a phillips screwdriver needs to be held in your hand" to haphazardly take on a task...

I know lots of people who know how to work on "vacuum tube televisions" and have "years of experience in fixing them"... (me included).... So, why not take off the back of a flat screen TV "just to see if there's a blown fuse" ????

Once the back is off, that's when "I" start wondering if I can "just move that circuit board to get to the power connector fuse block or if I need to move both to get to it......

It didn't start out "haphazardly" but can quickly turn into a "do I or don't I" situation, and being inside the trailer bowels, the "do I" often outweighs the "don't I" response....And that's when the "haphazardly" begins to unfold ..... BTDT

^^^^Or young and impatient. After you've done all kinds of work and spent a ton of time and things aren't working we're sometimes prone to say "what the heck"; reminds me of the time I was about 23-24 and working on my first washing machine. Took it apart and found a shear pin broken on the motor shaft so drove all over town and found one. Got it replaced and was putting it back together when a I dropped a small screw....it fell straight into the slots on the motor I had pulled. I turned, shook and wiggled that motor but the screw would not come out. I already had a large part of the day into it, my patience has always been somewhat lacking and I was at the point of "haphazardly". Now the haphazardly part happened; I said to heck with it, maybe it will throw it out when I turn it on. Put it all back together, plugged it in and turned it on - now that was cool! Pop, fizzle, smoke, then .....nothing. I was looking at my little motor just smoking away the screw I was too lazy to pursue somehow causing all this devastation. Now I was back at square one but needed a new motor and had to tear the whole thing apart yet again - haphazardly. Good thing was the store I found the shear pin at had mentioned he carried those motors....now that was a plus in a haphazard way.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:54 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Often it comes down to poor decision making. I learned years ago via the injuries and many surgeries to "give in" to my limitations. It was/is very difficult to pay to have something done when I posses the knowledge and the tools to do it. I fully understand how folks can "get out over their skis" for various reasons. The pressure of time, money, pride, etc. can be powerful influencers. To quote a Clint Eastwood movie line.."A man's got to know his limitations."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:08 AM   #16
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Please be mindful of posting standards which are available in the forum Community Rules located in the banner at the bottom of each page;

"Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately. Excessive use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc) is discouraged and posts that are difficult to read may be edited or deleted."
Thanks for reminding people of this. I was finding his comments difficult to read. I'm glad to see he clarified, hopes he finds the issue.
I would suggest he verify he has 12 volt power coming to the fridge and work the appropriate direction from there. Also verify the 120 volt power is good if he is using that.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:11 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

At this point I would use a VOM and test for 12VDC at the plastic junction on the back of the refer. If you have 12V on BOTH sides, then use the meter to test the fuses on the control board. If not then start tracing the fridge power wire.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:40 PM   #18
Gypsy-Monk

I'll barrow a multimeter from a work associate in a few days when im back at work.

There isn't a single fuse in the trailer that's blown or breaker that's popped. Neither fuse on the fridge control board were/are blown.

I did not YET connect any of the wires that were going to the furnace to each other. I shall post a pic tomorrow of the wire coming out of the wall.

Im pretty sure my 12v fridge feed is daisy chained through the furnace, like gkains suggested. Which is why i originally asked what wires to connect together.

Will post pic tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:49 AM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Monk View Post
I'll barrow a multimeter from a work associate in a few days when im back at work.

There isn't a single fuse in the trailer that's blown or breaker that's popped. Neither fuse on the fridge control board were/are blown.

I did not YET connect any of the wires that were going to the furnace to each other. I shall post a pic tomorrow of the wire coming out of the wall.

Im pretty sure my 12v fridge feed is daisy chained through the furnace, like gkains suggested. Which is why i originally asked what wires to connect together.

Will post pic tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far.

do you still have the old furnace? why not look at the wiring termination and see how it was connected? look in the wire junction box and it should tell you everything
Old 03-31-2023, 03:59 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have 4 wires at the furnace where you cut them the fridge is not daisy chained. The 4 wires are 12V positive, 12V negative, thermostat signal, and thermostat return.

Tags
fridge, furnace