Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 06:52 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck with your searching for the right truck !!!!! Part of the fun (the frustrating part for me) is the uncertainty of trying to determine if it's the right truck, in many cases, all "sight unseen" until the investment of several hundred miles to finally get a glimpse....

That said, as Danny mentioned, be very cautious with a "lifted truck" when trying to find the perfect tow vehicle for a fifth wheel. Not only does lifting the truck make it "taller" thereby causing the trailer to "sit pin high" shifting weight from the front trailer axle to the rear axle, and in some situations, overloading the rear trailer axle.... But also, those "taller and wider tires" can induce greater tire sidewall flex, making controllability of the trailer more difficult in sway conditions....

For me (others likely have a different opinion), I wouldn't want to be climbing into the cab of a taller than stock HD truck and I can assure you my DW would NEVER find it "amusing" which would almost always make the "towing adventure less enjoyable" on every trip as she complains about that "first step".....

Looking at the F350 you posted the link to, those larger 35X12.50R20LT Toyo tires with the "aggressive tread" would, very likely be much louder on the road and may not tow as well in crosswinds or when encountering the bow wave from passing trucks..... I'd "shy away" from any truck that's been extensively modified to "excel in desert offroading" and then expect it to retain all the towing characteristics of the OEM suspension and tires.....

The truck may be in excellent condition, but as it sits, it's not going to be a "great fifth wheel tow truck"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2023, 03:51 AM   #22
notanlines

About 70k on our F-450 and have no problems. I will say this: I’m not so sure there are many differences between it and the 3500’s and 350’s on the market, but turning radius alone is worth the minimal price difference.
Also, we have friends with a Ram dually that I drive occasionally to take him to the VA and I positively HATE the big 12” screen on the dash. Just too big. He feels the same way.
While I’m yammering on I will say that our new Bronco does not come with a “driver one/driver two” option for the seats mirrors, etc. and we miss it terribly! Any new truck would have to have this option for a daily driver.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 03-20-2023, 04:56 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
About 70k on our F-450 and have no problems. I will say this: I’m not so sure there are many differences between it and the 3500’s and 350’s on the market, but turning radius alone is worth the minimal price difference.
Also, we have friends with a Ram dually that I drive occasionally to take him to the VA and I positively HATE the big 12” screen on the dash. Just too big. He feels the same way.
While I’m yammering on I will say that our new Bronco does not come with a “driver one/driver two” option for the seats mirrors, etc. and we miss it terribly! Any new truck would have to have this option for a daily driver.

LOL! It's not such a big deal Jim. We've adapted...DW just takes the wheel from the passenger position, I put on my quadfocal sunglasses (the screen is so bright after eye surgery) and while she "guides" us I scoot over to see the smaller icons, then squint while looking through the countless icons trying to figure out how to do the simplest things - seems like they're spread over a half acre. Spent 1/2 hour looking for the icon to turn on the back window/rear view mirror defroster, gave up then found a button somewhere off on the side!

The above said in jest of course. The screen IS too large but I have figured out the important places to look to get what I need done. Next truck will have the 8.4" which is much easier to use.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:09 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Better turning radius and better looking wheels and tires imo…it’s part of the “stance” i think looks better if those kind of things are important to you.
it’s the little details that make the truck look better..the 19.5 continental tires just look great imo….some people may balk at the replacement cost of the tires but i think they last a fairly long time

I also prefer a 1” leveling kit on the front of most hd trucks because imo it looks better then the nose down configuration ..the 450 already looks like it’s close to level from the factory

I’ve known people that could look at three different trim levels of cars and not pick up that one has larger wheels and deeper offset rims…17” truck wheels and tires dont look any different then 20” factory wheels…and that’s fine but i like the little extras.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:17 AM   #25
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
LOL! It's not such a big deal Jim. We've adapted...DW just takes the wheel from the passenger position, I put on my quadfocal sunglasses (the screen is so bright after eye surgery) and while she "guides" us I scoot over to see the smaller icons, then squint while looking through the countless icons trying to figure out how to do the simplest things - seems like they're spread over a half acre. Spent 1/2 hour looking for the icon to turn on the back window/rear view mirror defroster, gave up then found a button somewhere off on the side!

The above said in jest of course. The screen IS too large but I have figured out the important places to look to get what I need done. Next truck will have the 8.4" which is much easier to use.
LOL!
Ours is the 8.4, and I feel that is a nice size. Likely the 12” seems a bit brighter due to its size. I do dim mine at night when driving, even with the funky diming that Ram has. One I dimmed to the setting that the interior lights didn’t come on when the door was opened.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 03-20-2023, 05:54 AM   #26
notanlines

On the subject of the Continental tires, ours will probably be changed at 80k to 85k, unheard of on our previous trucks. We have always been Michelin people and just paid the price. The price of the Continentals pulled my pucker string tight, so I might try one set of Sailuns when the time comes. As long as John doesn’t see things differently by that time.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 03-20-2023, 06:25 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Something else to consider that I failed to mention is that a chassis/cab with a "rectangular utility bed" has square corners on the rear of the bed. On a pickup truck bed, the rear of the truck is "sculpted in" so the truck width under the fifth wheel nose is the same width as a SRW truck. With that utility bed, those square corners extend to the sides at the same width as the "dually fenders"... What that means is that "normal placement of a fifth wheel hitch over the rear axle" could pose a problem with truck bed clearance with the sloped front of the trailer (under the front overhang)...

You may find that you can't turn enough to maneuver the trailer into camping spaces or even make tight turns in a parking lot without the corner of the bed contacting the front of the trailer....

That can be overcome with a sliding hitch (extra expense, extra weight and extra mechanical maintenance)... But, don't "just look at the utility of the bed for other things" if the primary purpose of the truck is towing a fifth wheel, make sure it can do that job without having to "patch in more stuff so it can work"....

Truck bed clearance is a primary concern with any fifth wheel. If you can't turn the truck to navigate a parking lot without damaging the trailer, that type bed is a "NO GO" for towing.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2023, 06:56 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

There are always truck beds for sale on Craigslist and other local sources. I think these are take-offs when a shop puts a flat bed on a customer's truck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 03-20-2023, 07:44 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
There are always truck beds for sale on Craigslist and other local sources. I think these are take-offs when a shop puts a flat bed on a customer's truck.
I'm not sure a "truck bed take-off" fitted for a "non-chassis cab" will fit on a "chassis cab" frame without some significant reconfiguration. Just the location of the DEF tank and the fuel tank along with the changes in routing for the fuel filler would be "obstacles to make a retrofit pickup bed fit on a chassis cab frame"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2023, 03:32 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure a "truck bed take-off" fitted for a "non-chassis cab" will fit on a "chassis cab" frame without some significant reconfiguration. Just the location of the DEF tank and the fuel tank along with the changes in routing for the fuel filler would be "obstacles to make a retrofit pickup bed fit on a chassis cab frame"....
I believe you are correct; googled and came up with a Chevy forum where the issues were discussed. A chassis cab has a different rear axle width than the pickup so dropping a bed on seems to be a not good option. A Chassis Cab might better be served with install of a flatbed w/gooseneck hitch. I do believe Andersen makes an Ultimate hitch for a recessed goose ball but would definitely check with them.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:48 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I believe you are correct; googled and came up with a Chevy forum where the issues were discussed. A chassis cab has a different rear axle width than the pickup so dropping a bed on seems to be a not good option. A Chassis Cab might better be served with install of a flatbed w/gooseneck hitch. I do believe Andersen makes an Ultimate hitch for a recessed goose ball but would definitely check with them.
Installing a gooseneck or an Andersen hitch still doesn't reduce the width of the flatbed deck corners. They "project to the extreme corners at the same width as the "hip fenders" on a pickup bed. There is no "reduced width at the extreme rear of the chassis cab flat bed. When turning with a fifth wheel on the truck, those corners will "grow to meet the underside of the fifth wheel just like leaving the tail gate down on a pickup will "strike the front of the fifth wheel"......

There are some options, mainly a "custom flatbed deck with rounded rear corners" or a sliding fifth wheel hitch.

It's definitely not an impossible to solve problem, but being 2000 miles from home, with a trailer sitting in a campground and buying a new truck to "hitch and move on" is not the ideal situation to be in when it all needs to come together at one time on the first attempt.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-23-2023, 08:55 AM   #32
Blueswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i’d give a serious look at an f450..the wide track front axle gives you a better turning radius then standard f350,ram 3500 and chevy drw..may not feel so much like your driving a battleship around..

i have a ram 3500 laramie drw coming from a bunch of srw shortbed rams and i miss the maneuverability.

And before anyone chimes in that they have no problem driving a drw ( looking at you Russ lol) …yes i know i don’t either …have had all kinds of trucks including big drw box trucks…. BUT it’s definitely different then a smaller truck..it just feels less sporty to me …not as fun to drive

i Think i would have been happier with the 450 and would have bought one but they were very few and far between when i was looking 2 years ago.
i think the stance looks nicer also..looks like it already has a leveling kit on it but that’s just my opinion
I may end up getting a 450 xlt in the future without all the bells and whistles because i tend to treat my current truck more like a luxury vehicle then a pickup truck.

you may want to look at 2019 up as they will still have some factory warranty on them
I'll chime in here and agree totally with the above. I looked long and hard and finally found an F450 to tow our Cougar. Great truck, great maneuverability, great for towing. A little hard to find, but a great truck.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #33
61Hawks

Canada

If I was in your shoes I would look in Canada. You can buy a used truck for about the same money and import it into the US. Not difficult to do. I have done it in the reverse. Dealers will not sell new in Canada or the reverse but used are ok. At 35 % exchange rate would seriously make me look.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:11 PM   #34
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Hawks View Post
If I was in your shoes I would look in Canada. You can buy a used truck for about the same money and import it into the US. Not difficult to do. I have done it in the reverse. Dealers will not sell new in Canada or the reverse but used are ok. At 35 % exchange rate would seriously make me look.
When I was looking a shied away from Canadian truck figuring oil sands field trucks. I was looking for Rams and had access to build sheet from the VIN including delivery city. So I would deduct for a Canadian truck.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 03-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #35
gearhead

I'm a Chevy guy, the seats just fit my skinny butt better. But, I'm on my 2nd Ram. I really wanted that Ram Cummins engine. I came out of a Ford long bed crew 4x4. Nope, never again. Only issue with my Ram is the rear differential. It's a Torsen which is like no other. After a day on a hot interstate it will jump and try to crab sideways.
Anyway if you're a Ford type look for a heavy duty commercial Ford dealer. We have Chastains in Houston. Mark Dodge in Lake Charles Louisiana is giving low ball deals on Rams is the word in the booming metropolis of Liberty Texas.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 03-24-2023, 12:30 PM   #36
haulinit

My late husband was a trucker. We bought a new 2016 F-350 Lariat SRW to pull a 2018 Fuzion 371. He said that truck would handle anything I threw at it. I started learning how to figure out weights and realized that if I put any type of toy in the garage I wasn’t going to be very safe.

I found a 2019 F-350 DRW for a great deal. I’m so glad I got it! It’s the only vehicle I have so yes, it’s my daily driver. I upgraded RVs last summer to a 2021 Fuzion 428. Total truck and trailer length is 63’ 10”. Yes I’m female and pull that big trailer!

I’m so glad to see you realize that, although your current truck pulls the trailer, it’s not safe. I see so many people in the Facebook groups think that adding airbags will increase their towing capacity. I hope you find your truck soon and will let us all know what you get!
2021 Fuzion 428 Toy Hauler
Old 03-24-2023, 02:34 PM   #37
wiredgeorge

Wow! 45' and 20K lbs gross weight. Pin weight in the 4600 lb range. Add some with passengers and hitch, and you are north of 5K lbs pin weight. Shelly, if you weren't a gal I would call you the forum's heavyweight champ! Best of luck with that rig! BTW: The OP at least cast out for suggestions being already aware of his towing situation... rare.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:00 PM   #38
Alpine Custom Upgrade

What is barely enough truck to tow my rv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Good Luck with your searching for the right truck !!!!! Part of the fun (the frustrating part for me) is the uncertainty of trying to determine if it's the right truck, in many cases, all "sight unseen" until the investment of several hundred miles to finally get a glimpse....

That said, as Danny mentioned, be very cautious with a "lifted truck" when trying to find the perfect tow vehicle for a fifth wheel. Not only does lifting the truck make it "taller" thereby causing the trailer to "sit pin high" shifting weight from the front trailer axle to the rear axle, and in some situations, overloading the rear trailer axle.... But also, those "taller and wider tires" can induce greater tire sidewall flex, making controllability of the trailer more difficult in sway conditions....

For me (others likely have a different opinion), I wouldn't want to be climbing into the cab of a taller than stock HD truck and I can assure you my DW would NEVER find it "amusing" which would almost always make the "towing adventure less enjoyable" on every trip as she complains about that "first step".....

Looking at the F350 you posted the link to, those larger 35X12.50R20LT Toyo tires with the "aggressive tread" would, very likely be much louder on the road and may not tow as well in crosswinds or when encountering the bow wave from passing trucks..... I'd "shy away" from any truck that's been extensively modified to "excel in desert offroading" and then expect it to retain all the towing characteristics of the OEM suspension and tires.....

The truck may be in excellent condition, but as it sits, it's not going to be a "great fifth wheel tow truck"....
I had the same experience in my tow vehicle and it's limits. Wondering if I could get away with a minimal expense and buy something that should be big enough. I finally decided to solve all of those problems with one truck purchase. I bought a used 2012 Freightliner 112 2L conversion (similar to a sportchassis) that has 450 HP, 1650 foot pounds of torque, a hitch weight capacity of 14,000 and love it every time well pull the 15,000 pound rv anywhere. You should consider getting out the way of thinking of Fords, or Chevys or Dodges. All of those are limited.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Old 03-24-2023, 05:30 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I had the same experience in my tow vehicle and it's limits. Wondering if I could get away with a minimal expense and buy something that should be big enough. I finally decided to solve all of those problems with one truck purchase. I bought a used 2012 Freightliner 112 2L conversion (similar to a sportchassis) that has 450 HP, 1650 foot pounds of torque, a hitch weight capacity of 14,000 and love it every time well pull the 15,000 pound rv anywhere. You should consider getting out the way of thinking of Fords, or Chevys or Dodges. All of those are limited.

I appreciate your thoughts but....how does it fit in the garage?
Old 03-24-2023, 06:31 PM   #40
haulinit

Thanks! I would love to have at least an MDT truck to pull it with. I try to keep the respect for what I’m pulling. I just wish everyone else on the road respected it too.
2021 Fuzion 428 Toy Hauler
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrade