Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2023, 04:17 PM   #1
linux3

My Truck

I bought a 2020 Chevy Silverado.
It's mine, I own it.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Partner at work was talking about this, Ford says no plans to implement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #3
Badbart56

With all the talk about AI, I'm sure this is just the beginning.....you ain't seen nothing yet.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 07:06 PM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Ford says no plans to implement.
I still have a Social Security card that promises the number is not for identification. Promises tend to evaporate like that.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:41 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I still have a Social Security card that promises the number is not for identification. Promises tend to evaporate like that.
Mine says the same thing. I read an article in The NY Times that said they applied for a patent a number of years ago for the technology but said it wasn’t being considered for implementation.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/03/ford-p...sses-payments/

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:02 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

OnStar (GM vehicles) can disable a vehicle remotely, and has had that function for years, so it isn’t one brand vs. another here.

Anyway, it would only be an issue if you financed through Ford AND failed to make your payments over an extended period of time. Get your own financing and make your payments, or buy it outright, problem solved, or is it?

With the extent of computerized over the air services on any brand of vehicles these days, systems can be hacked and people with bad intent can and do take advantage of this. The hackers don’t care who you financed it with, or whether you made this months payment, if you bought it outright, or even the vehicle brand.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:14 AM   #7
jasin1

one day soon you won’t truly own your car even after it’s paid off…many car manufacturers are switching to subscription based options for features ALREADY on your vehicle …auto high beams,heated seats, remote start etc…you will have to pay a monthly fee to keep these options active
Old 03-05-2023, 05:24 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Ford is already doing that with their Sync4 Connected/Connected navigation system. Once your free trial expires, your nav system becomes a brick unless you pay a monthly fee to keep the service active.

My last few vehicles had options to add remote start ($450 and most recently $250). But guess what they don’t mention? Your vehicle is built with remote start and you can use it for free with the smartphone app.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:26 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Ford is already doing that with their Sync4 Connected/Connected navigation system. Once your free trial expires, your nav system becomes a brick unless you pay a monthly fee to keep the service active.

My last few vehicles had options to add remote start ($450 and most recently $250). But guess what they don’t mention? Your vehicle is built with remote start and you can use it for free with the smartphone app.
yeah i just started looking at renewing my sirius xm uconnect for ram trucks…gives you location of truck,remote start and anti theft for like $250 a year

they nickel and dime you to death and you soon realize it adds up to many dollars
Old 03-05-2023, 08:01 AM   #10
dutchmensport

So, you wake up in the morning to get ready to leave for work and standing in the kitchen you realize your car is not in your driveway. You shake your head in a bit of disbelief because you are positive it was parked there last night.

You step outside, still in your bathrobe and look around. "Have I lost my mind? Am I getting Alzheimer's or something?" The next thing you do is step into the garage, and again, no car is there.

Then it hits you, "Oh my gosh! My car was stolen!"

You then get right on the phone and call the police and by now, you are experiencing a bit of panic. But in the conversation to the police they ask if your car has On-Star or any kind of GPS system. They assure you, the car can be tracked and found using this system. So, you give the police all the information.

You then realize you can track your car on your phone with On-Star using the car locater feature (which by the way is great!) You breathe a sigh of relief, grab that cup of coffee, sit at the kitchen table, bring up the app on your phone, and ..... the car does not show up on the screen. Where's my car? You put the coffee cup back down on the table and frantically start punching on your phone to repeat this entire process.

Little do you realize, from the time the car disappeared from your drive way, it probably took less than half an hour for the car to reach it's "chop shop" and completely dismantled, the "computer" of the car deactivated, the GPS and OnStar system completely shut off. Here it is morning, sitting in your bathrobe, and if you happen to think for a moment and jump over to E-bay or some of those types of web site apps, you'll find all the parts of your car already posted for sale! And you are STILL just in your bathrobe.

Yes, the technology is there and possibilities are endless. Agree!