Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2023, 05:36 AM   #41
Badbart56

Let me just state the obvious. You can always carry a spare can or four of fuel. Can't do that with electricity.

I've been stuck on Interstate 80 in Wyoming with the road closed, -11 degrees. But I had 250 gallons of diesel in my tanks. Big difference.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:16 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Two years ago, we were camped in Shiprock, NM, rode the Slingshot to 4 Corners, then to Cortez on 145/141 through Norwood to Grand Junction and then back to Durango on 50/550, and back to the fifth wheel in Shiprock. I can say that either road from Norwood to Grand Junction is not a place to "run out of juice" whether it's the "sparking juice in batteries" or the "burning juice in gas cans"....

There's some desolate, out of the way, never survive walking out in a blizzard places on both roads. I wouldn't want to be in 0F weather wondering if there's enough charge on a battery and having to turn off the heat to keep the wheels rolling....

From back in my boy scout days, both roads deserve the "be prepared" motto !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 06:41 AM   #43
Raptor 429

I was a moderator/ community manager for the Jearmy Clarkson crew a few years back when this electric yransition was being pushed on the UK.

If you have a situation of free choice the consumer will always pick the best option and we as a whole will always be better off.

The reason for the fierce attacks on electric come from freedom of choice being taken away, with a mandate to transition to an inferior product. Using all kinds of subsidies the efficient side is subsidizing what will likely be the biggest bust or worst idea in auto history.

As soon as you ban gas/ diesel even if in the future it's no longer a conversation. Which is what you find most often when the electric topic comes up. Don't be surprised if it gets much worse before it gets better. Right now I only see two solutions if you buy into the carbon thing.

Green fuels and oils that can be pulled out of the air making them zero net giving us endless usage of our vehicles as they are in today's form. Porsche probably has the most advanced program at the moment.

Followed by hydrogen. New when I say hydrogen it's not electric conversion. I'm talking hydrogen combustion which could use existing vehicles and convert them from gas. Still blowing stuff up with great sounding notes with huge power figures short refill times and great range. BMW had a fleet of 350 HP hydrogen combustion cars a decade ago. All very workable if your worried about the boobie birds.

Electric everything has other goals in mind and it isn't environment. (My opinion)

Lastly if you listen to Ford they say they have bet the farm on electric and admit it could be their downfall. Then your left with Government Motors for those who remember bailouts and Ram who is now Fiat. So in a very brief time of severe downturn combustion towing vehicles could be eliminated from the market quite quickly.

I think the animosity is warrented and everybody should speak up while we still can. It's just my opinion that electric will be the biggest bust ever seen. All I'm asking for is a choice not to take part in that bust and not promote said bust with my tax dollars and other subsides. Do electric cars pay road tax yet to hel support infrastructure or are they still free riders just to name one.

Cheers
Raptor 429 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing