Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2022, 11:32 AM   #1
gbjax95

Auto leveling while full timing

We are full timers and have been on the same site for a few months and was wondering about releveling. We have the auto level system and was wondering if we should close all the the slides or if we could relevel with slides out. We have a 2019 Keystone Outback 328RL. Thanks
2019 Keystone Outback 328RL

gbjax95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Unless your jacks are hydraulic or your on soft ground, you shouldn’t need to relevel. I would retract the slides to “exercise” them, every couple months.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Technically, you should probably close the slides, but I have done it without closing them. The auto level will probably only move an inch or so from one end to the other when doing a re level. If you go into manual mode, you can re level and only change the little bit that may have settled instead of going through the entire auto level sequence. You shouldn’t have any settling on electric jacks. Any ground settle will be very minor

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The slides should be opened/closed frequently to "exercise the rubber seals" as well as move the contacts on the electric motor brushes inside the motors to prevent them from corrosion. Moving the slides "folds" the rubber seals around the slides helps keep them from becomming brittle and cracking.

Any electrical motor in the "damp belly of a travel trailer" will last longer if it is regularly turned on, allowed to warm up and "dry out". That will help prevent corrosion from damaging the interior of the motor. Causing the rubber seals to flex will help keep them from drying out and cracking....

The Owner's Manual recommends "• Rooms that will be extended for long periods of time should be actuated 1-2 times a week."

If you aren't "regularly exercising your slides" then I'd urge you to at least retract them when you relevel the trailer" and extend them again once that is finished.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Remember Sir Issac Newton's first law of motion? "A body at rest tends to stay at rest ..." while it's a law of physics it's relative to mechanical things as well. Stop using things and they tend to stay that way. Things that remain stationary for extended periods of time tend to end up as boat anchors.

Retract the slides, re-level, extend the slides. I don't see the issue with taking the very few extra minutes to do it the way every operating manual will recommend.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Remember Sir Issac Newton's first law of motion? "A body at rest tends to stay at rest ..." while it's a law of physics it's relative to mechanical things as well. Stop using things and they tend to stay that way. Things that remain stationary for extended periods of time tend to end up as boat anchors.

Retract the slides, re-level, extend the slides. I don't see the issue with taking the very few extra minutes to do it the way every operating manual will recommend.

I agree that the slides need to come in to relevel but that "few" minutes can get pretty involved. We don't full time but we do spend months at a time in the RV. It takes quite a lot of time to undo everything so you can pull the slides in so I understand the question as I thought about it when we first started doing this but opted against it. Heck I'm looking at 10 floor rugs that have to come up and go somewhere just to start with (wanted an RV without carpet everywhere but puppy likes to play and slick linoleum, with the slips and slides, is not good for her torn rear leg ligament or the cancer growth on her front leg). Now we have various rugs, carpeted runners etc. to keep the slips/falls to a minimum along with all the other paraphernalia that have found homes that have to be put somewhere to bring them in. Gets kind of involved.....oh, did I mention "she that wields the power"? Now that is another consideration.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
meaz93*

I've got the 2018 328RL and to tell you the truth I have done it both ways with no issues. Sometimes when I'm not on level ground I auto level once unhooked slides in and than check the manual level gauge..... to see if it needs to be tweaked any?
Most times it's on the money, other times I'll hit auto level again.
But I'm like that-lol
I watch how the bathroom door closes on it's own verses how the leveling system is.
Remember the days of bringing the ; hand level, extension cords w/ power drill to adjust the stabilizer jacks, and site levels on the front end of your TT?
Ohh...my wife used to tell me it would keep me -lol

Keep me young!
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
MarvinMcK

1-2 times per week. Wow. I missed that!
thanks
MarvinMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:10 PM   #9
jasin1

how about wheel rotation if it sits for a couple of months? i often think about that because my prior truck rear brakes froze up from sitting..
Old 09-27-2022, 02:54 PM   #10
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
how about wheel rotation if it sits for a couple of months? i often think about that because my prior truck rear brakes froze up from sitting..
Naw, overkill unless you just crave to fix what ain't broke!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #11
jasin1

i’m definitely not looking for any extra work lol. thanks Jim

Tags
leveling