Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
LegionX

Big Decision....

So, figured this might be the best spot to post this and please bare with me as I describe everything so everyone has clear picture.

The wife and I are full-timers (travelers... LOL I did scan that other post). We are currently in a 2021 Keystone Hideout 250BH being pulled by a 2016 Ford F-250 Lariat Gas. We have 2 cats that travel with us. We have been living in the RV since April of this year and have just started venturing out past the point of no-easy return (all done with our shake down trips). We did sell our home but still have plenty of family locations in case we need to hunker down for a while.

The RV has been modified - greatly. Removed the bunkbeds (so not actually a BH) and installed an office. Furion side and rear cameras. Composting toilet. Vent-tastic bathroom fan. Over tongue storage tray (Stormberg). And finally a 990 watt solar system with 3 200-amp hour batteries.

Now that all the info is out - the actual reason for this post. We are considering switching to a Motorhome, either a ~27ft Class C or Class A. The reason is two-fold - the cats don't like traveling in the truck (we've tried a lot of things) and I'm not sure I like having to setup/tear down each time we move (more about the ease of mobility). So my questions...

- Any thoughts on the differences between a travel trailer and motorhome mobility? Focused on easy to pack up and go, I'd like to be more agile.
- Thoughts on the cats and if anyone thinks they might fair better traveling in a motorhome vs truck?
- Logistics of doing this type of switch being full-timers with no sticks & bricks place to be? Considering Trade-In vs Consignment vs Private Party.
- Should we remove the upgrades? (the composting toilet - we will take that with us and install it in whatever we get and purchase a standard toilet to replace it in the TT).
- Are older motorhomes (10+ years) even worth considering? I'm a mechanic and can handle most maintenance tasks...just not replacing an engine or transmission...

I think that would be a good start to get a conversation started - might have more as others respond.

Thank you for any and all feedback/advice!
LegionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
So, figured this might be the best spot to post this and please bare with me as I describe everything so everyone has clear picture.

The wife and I are full-timers (travelers... LOL I did scan that other post). We are currently in a 2021 Keystone Hideout 250BH being pulled by a 2016 Ford F-250 Lariat Gas. We have 2 cats that travel with us. We have been living in the RV since April of this year and have just started venturing out past the point of no-easy return (all done with our shake down trips). We did sell our home but still have plenty of family locations in case we need to hunker down for a while.

The RV has been modified - greatly. Removed the bunkbeds (so not actually a BH) and installed an office. Furion side and rear cameras. Composting toilet. Vent-tastic bathroom fan. Over tongue storage tray (Stormberg). And finally a 990 watt solar system with 3 200-amp hour batteries.

Now that all the info is out - the actual reason for this post. We are considering switching to a Motorhome, either a ~27ft Class C or Class A. The reason is two-fold - the cats don't like traveling in the truck (we've tried a lot of things) and I'm not sure I like having to setup/tear down each time we move (more about the ease of mobility). So my questions...

- Any thoughts on the differences between a travel trailer and motorhome mobility? Focused on easy to pack up and go, I'd like to be more agile.
- Thoughts on the cats and if anyone thinks they might fair better traveling in a motorhome vs truck?
- Logistics of doing this type of switch being full-timers with no sticks & bricks place to be? Considering Trade-In vs Consignment vs Private Party.
- Should we remove the upgrades? (the composting toilet - we will take that with us and install it in whatever we get and purchase a standard toilet to replace it in the TT).
- Are older motorhomes (10+ years) even worth considering? I'm a mechanic and can handle most maintenance tasks...just not replacing an engine or transmission...

I think that would be a good start to get a conversation started - might have more as others respond.

Thank you for any and all feedback/advice!
I can speak to the size you are considering. We are not full time and have only been RV'ing for a few years. We take one 4-6 week trip cross country per year and several other multi day trips throughout the SW the remainder of the year. We started with a 25' Class-C Winnebago, purchased new and traded in at a huge loss 6 months later after our first extended trip. It was simply not large enough for 2 people and 2 small dogs to be comfortable in. Remember about 5' of that length is going to be cab....good for driving and not much else. I think you would be hard pressed to be comfortable even watching some TV and relaxing at night in a motorhome that size, much less finding room to have an office space. A Class-A floorplan in that size will probably not offer much more in the way of comfort. In this case, I think bigger is definitely better.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

JMHO, if I was looking at motorhomes, I would go class A diesel pusher. As you can tell by my sig, I work on RVs and I find the diesel pushers to have fewer problems. Only drawback to owning ANY motorhome is the need for a toad. A toad is a car/truck that you tow behind you so when your parked it can be your sightseer, grocery getter.

I’m sure others will chime in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
LegionX

Thanks for the responses!

We have looked at several Class C/A sizes physically...and we would be comfortable with a min length of 27ft. We did like the 30-33 ft Class A's better than the C's. Those had more space than our TT. The office is going to be difficult and something I'll have to figure out but it is not a deal breaker - I don't work full-time so it's not the top 1 priority.

We have considered the toad (lol love that name). And we figured we'll get an older Jeep Wrangler or something similar in size.

Again, thanks for the responses!
Old 11-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
dutchmensport

If you do not need to separate the living quarters from the driving quarters, a motor home is probably the easiest and best way to go. However, if you park anywhere for any length of time, even more than a couple days, you'll want to be able to travel, go the grocery store, explore new areas. You'll have to break camp every time you go somewhere.

Or....

In addition to the motor home, you'll need a toad you can tow behind the motor home. You are adding an expense here you already have covered and all the logistics already worked out.

Being able to separate the living quarters of your RV rig set up with independent transportation will be your biggest challenge. With the motor home be able to actually tow "it", and will the toad be something that can actually be pulled and towed, or will you need to make an additional investment to purchase a car carrier so the towed vehicle will ride on a trailer instead. Now, you have 3 sets of license plates to contend with.

It's just a thought and something you seriously need to consider. Right now with your camper, you don't have that problem .... or the expense to get it set up.

Only you can make that decision. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

INMHO too small for full timing, older motorhomes typically have more mechanical issues like transmissions, major engine issues, etc. You may be mechanical but where are you going to work on it? A lot of folks like the "idea of the nomad spirit" in a small motorhome but quickly become disheartened when the reality of the limited space, limited mobility unless your towing another vehichle, and the cost of maintaining sets in. As for set up/breakdown if you have a towed vehichle there's no difference from a modern trailer and truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #7
LegionX

So. A bit more insight that I should've provided in the first post.

We have discussed switching for a few months and we both believe the top 2 issues we have with our current situation is the cats and the 2 bikes we have.

First the cats - we are on our...5th or 6th calming type of treatment. Our last leg we did was 1 hour and our problem kitty thankfully didn't have any accidents or adverse affects from the treats. We are hopeful that a longer travel day will be OK (we are going to try a 2-3 hour trip next).

Second, the bikes. Currently we have to pack them in the RV before we move the slide in and after we move the cats out. It is a bit of pain. If we can figure out how to transport our bikes safely then that might solve the desire to be more mobile/agile. FYI - we did purchase an RV bumper bike rack BUT after reading several forums of the potential negative consequences we decided to return that bike rack.

The actual hitching/unhitching isn't an issue. I know a Motorhome with a toad will be similar.

Any good thoughts or advice around e-bikes and how to transport them? Our truck has a bed cover...no topper

This is helping us....speaking(typing) it all out.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #8
LegionX

Yeah...doing maintenance on a motorhome would be a pain without the proper equipment and jacks. Some things still doable but I also know campgrounds tend to frown upon that.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
notanlines

Sort of taking the devil’s advocate here, but how in the world do you decide that two cats get to decide what you’re going to travel the country in, and how did they tell you in cat language that they would prefer a motorhome? Everyone here knows I’m not anti-cat, not anti animal of any kind, but, honestly, everyone reading this thread is asking the same thing.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Yes we are Jim. My puppy is at the top of my consideration list (well, DW fits on top) and I would not make that concession for her at all. A Class C is a step down from a nice trailer with slides and comes with a whole host of other problems; cost, taxes, drivetrain, toad and the list goes on.

Having thought I would absolutely be in a Class A pusher when I retired....I am not. There are SO many costs and negatives it just did not make sense for someone that travels like us....and sounds like you. Your cats will adapt. Spending 150k+ so they don't have to just begs the question...why?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Sort of taking the devil’s advocate here, but how in the world do you decide that two cats get to decide what you’re going to travel the country in, and how did they tell you in cat language that they would prefer a motorhome? Everyone here knows I’m not anti-cat, not anti animal of any kind, but, honestly, everyone reading this thread is asking the same thing.
My brown point Siamese cat went coast to coast in ‘09, no issues. We did give him 1/4 Benadryl per the vet one day, and it knocked him on his butt for 2 days.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I don't get the difference to the cat of traveling in the cab of a truck vs a MH. Can you explain that?
Old 11-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #13
LegionX

We've read articles about how cats travel better in a motorhome due to having more room and places to hide. No experience with it so that is why I asked the question...to get feedback.

Why we care about our cats not being stressed to the point of vomiting, drooling, and having accidents in the carrier....well it's stressful on us when that happens in the truck. Like I said, we are hopeful that the newest treatment we tried will continue to work for longer treks.

All good responses and advice. It is making us really rethink this...is it really worth the headache, stress, and cost....leaning toward probably not at this moment...

Any thoughts/feedback on good ways to transport ~40lb e-bikes?
Old 11-06-2021, 07:32 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't say this about "EVERY" floorplan in "EVERY" motorhome, but generally speaking, there are no more "places to hide" and "cubbyholes" in a 30' motorhome than there are in a 30' travel trailer. Unless you're going to "pack them away in the underfloor storage compartments, you're looking at the same basic floorplan, same basic storage areas and same basic "places to hide".

We've found, over the years, that the best way to adapt a "skittish pet" to travel is to do it gradually, over time and with increasing frequency and length of travel. You can't "put them in a carrier in the back seat every month for an hour" and expect them to adapt. The cats don't know whether there's a trailer behind the truck or not, so it's not "towing" that's the issue, it's "pet adapting to the strange environment of a moving truck" that the issue. Put them in the carrier every day, start out with a 5 minute ride and a treat at the end, increase that to a 10 minute ride and a treat, then a 15 minute ride, then an hour, then continue increasing the travel, always with comforting and a treat at the end.... Don't expect any animal that doesn't like change of environment to feel comfortable with a 3 or 4 hour "forced change"... ADAPT slowly and reassuringly....

If you consider it a part of "training" rather than "abusive punishment" you'll both benefit...

Having had a dog that would "puke up her guts at the sight of the back seat" and then "trying to understand dog logic"... We trained her to enjoy jumping into the back seat because she knew she'd get cuddling and a milkbone when the trip was over.... That said, we never got her to relax on the exam table at the vet's office.... Some things are just better left alone...

But, daily trips, cuddling and treats will fix your travel problems if you're persistent with the training.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Our Flame point Siamese doesn't travel in the carrier. It seems to help him if he can see his surroundings, DW only puts him in carrier to transfer him from truck/trailer.

Some years back when I worked at a dealership, We had a customer htat had 2 cats and full timed in a 35' class A. They actually cut the floor and used one storage compartment for them to "hide" and have a cat box.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #16
Northofu1

I would, and have, a Curt front hitch on my truck for my bikes. I have 2 regular bicycles and they are not an issue while travelling. Easy to install, easy to remove the bikes. They do not block my vision and uncovered they do not interfere with lights or cooling. It is also cheap. The bike rack depends on the weight of your bikes, my set up is good for 500 lbs tongue weight and 5,000 lbs pulling.
Good luck and happy trails

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

Because you don't think making a family's pets into a decision is right doesn't mean everyone on this forum thinks the same way. We definitely consider our pets in any decision. That means with the camper or in our stick/brick home. Don't generalize. If the fellow's cats have travel related issues, perhaps helpful suggestions are more appropriate. When we camp, we take 2 or 3 of our pups, generally the small ones as the big ones are BIG. Each of them has a different travel personality. HoneyBun as maintains her normal sleep, eating and potty habits. BillyBob takes a day at a new campsite to resume his normal habits, Joy doesn't like to travel and doesn't want to eat or potty for at least 2-3 days. Cats are likely individual and if they are part of the family, perhaps the nomad life isn't the answer for the OP.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

I agree with John on the introduction to travel for pets. When our daughters were young they had cats and the DW and I dogs. Our current dog would get excited and bark a lot when traveling initially. Statrted out with short trips and rewards at the conclusion. Now he travels well and will often sleep. During the off season I'll often take the dog to the storage lot with me if I'm checking on it. That way it keeps him accustomed to seeing the camper and seeing me walking around it while he stays in the truck. Every couple of weeks will take him for a ride to our daughter's house about an hour away. I know cats can be more challanging and it may help if you can get them elevated enough to see outside. Good luck in ginding what fits for you.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Just got back and caught up on this thread. OP the prior posts probably have the answer for you (I hope).

Sounds like you and the cats are new to traveling further out and it's getting to them a bit. It happened to my dog as well - terribly. Initially she drooled, puked and shook so bad for the entire travel time ( usually about 5-6hrs) that we thought something bad was going to happen (worse). We loved to travel and weren't going to stop so went to the vet and they gave us some sort of drug to give her to "relax". Drove to Santa Fe NM (about 5 hrs.) after giving the drug to her. Nothing changed for her on the ride but when we got out and she tried to go up the stairs she just stumbled off them, fell and laid there. I was beside myself. Took her up the stairs and she seemed half comatose and couldn't walk. Found an emergency vet clinic and said the dosage prescribed was too much for her and she was overdosed. The cure? Wait and pray, which we did. By the AM she was better and she has never had another "relaxing" med in her body. All that was more or less to advise you to be careful of giving them "relaxers" or things to artificially numb them down.

In the end our solution is just what has been described above; time and repeated trips. Helping her to learn to enjoy the rides; going to the lake, going to look at "puppies" (she loves seeing other dogs) etc. Over time the drooling and sickness disappeared. She is not a happy traveler for long distances on monotonous highways but she does fine. Pants a lot and tries to telepathically help me in traffic situations but there are no problems now. Longest leg on this trip was 8 hours and no issues. We do however take her somewhere fun for her as soon as we get somewhere, let her walk and explore so she doesn't think that every time she gets in the truck it's going to be a torture session. Work with them, give them more exposure, let them acclimate and try to make it fun for them (or at least fun when the ride is over). Maybe something will do the trick.....just be careful of the prescription stuff.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just got back and caught up on this thread. OP the prior posts probably have the answer for you (I hope).

Sounds like you and the cats are new to traveling further out and it's getting to them a bit. It happened to my dog as well - terribly. Initially she drooled, puked and shook so bad for the entire travel time ( usually about 5-6hrs) that we thought something bad was going to happen (worse). We loved to travel and weren't going to stop so went to the vet and they gave us some sort of drug to give her to "relax". Drove to Santa Fe NM (about 5 hrs.) after giving the drug to her. Nothing changed for her on the ride but when we got out and she tried to go up the stairs she just stumbled off them, fell and laid there. I was beside myself. Took her up the stairs and she seemed half comatose and couldn't walk. Found an emergency vet clinic and said the dosage prescribed was too much for her and she was overdosed. The cure? Wait and pray, which we did. By the AM she was better and she has never had another "relaxing" med in her body. All that was more or less to advise you to be careful of giving them "relaxers" or things to artificially numb them down.

In the end our solution is just what has been described above; time and repeated trips. Helping her to learn to enjoy the rides; going to the lake, going to look at "puppies" (she loves seeing other dogs) etc. Over time the drooling and sickness disappeared. She is not a happy traveler for long distances on monotonous highways but she does fine. Pants a lot and tries to telepathically help me in traffic situations but there are no problems now. Longest leg on this trip was 8 hours and no issues. We do however take her somewhere fun for her as soon as we get somewhere, let her walk and explore so she doesn't think that every time she gets in the truck it's going to be a torture session. Work with them, give them more exposure, let them acclimate and try to make it fun for them (or at least fun when the ride is over). Maybe something will do the trick.....just be careful of the prescription stuff.
Good point on the drugs; we currently have eight dogs and three of them go NUTS when there is lightning/thunder or the idiots up the road put on a fireworks display two weeks after the 4th. Anyway, my missus consulted with the vet and got some pills from Chewy with dosages. Last time it started to thunder/lightning my missus dosed the three and they were calm through the weather event. Normally, Charlie would crawl up on my pillow if I fell asleep and drool on me and pant (he is a medium sized chocolate lab) and this time he slept through the event soundly with no drama. My sis travels with cats and uses this type med for them.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote