Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
edwardsm1

Secure recliners on slideout

Have 20 hideout 26hlswe want to replace sofa with recliners. How do I secure the recliners . The sofa is screwed to sides . Can I screw the recliners to slide floor without doing damage? What have others done to secure recliners.
edwardsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsm1 View Post
Have 20 hideout 26hlswe want to replace sofa with recliners. How do I secure the recliners . The sofa is screwed to sides . Can I screw the recliners to slide floor without doing damage? What have others done to secure recliners.
Wonder if it would be better to drill up through the slide floor and bolt them or screw them from below so you don’t have any screws protruding down that may interfere with slide operation
Or just use a strap around the base and screw to where the sofa attached
Old 04-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
mikec557

Hmmm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the outside bottom of the slide is covered with darco. And it's (outside) entire flat surface rubs on the wear bar when the slide goes in and out. If all that's correct I would not want any penetration through the darco, and I would not want any fastener (metal or otherwise) to rub the wear bar every time the slide goes in and out.

I don't know how thick the slide floor is, I'm guessing 1/2inch OSB. so that's not very thick to sink a wood screw into down from the inside. And you can't let a screw tip go through and stick out the bottom.

If it was me I'd find an RV with recliners installed and crawl under the raised foot end and see how the factory did it, what they used.

Just my thoughts
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
Javi

Just a note: the two recliners in my slide are not bolted to anything. And haven't moved an inch in 3500 miles.

Just saying ��
Old 04-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Hmmm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the outside bottom of the slide is covered with darco. And it's (outside) entire flat surface rubs on the wear bar when the slide goes in and out. If all that's correct I would not want any penetration through the darco, and I would not want any fastener (metal or otherwise) to rub the wear bar every time the slide goes in and out.

I don't know how thick the slide floor is, I'm guessing 1/2inch OSB. so that's not very thick to sink a wood screw into down from the inside. And you can't let a screw tip go through and stick out the bottom.

If it was me I'd find an RV with recliners installed and crawl under the raised foot end and see how the factory did it, what they used.

Just my thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just a note: the two recliners in my slide are not bolted to anything. And haven't moved an inch in 3500 miles.

Just saying ��
Yeah forget what I said I don’t have enough experience with slideout construction
Old 04-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:

Just saying ��
Had recliners in my last 3 5th wheels none of which were bolted down.
If you feel it necessary to do something before travel, turn them back to back tightly in the corner.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #7
edwardsm1

Yea don't want to start poking holes. I think we'll just sit the chairs in and figure a way to secure them when we travel if need be. I want thank you all for info and thoughts.
edwardsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
mikec557

After I posted I went off and trolled through YouTube. And I think I've seen everything that could be done. One had used carriage bolts through the darco and floor, using washers and nuts inside to hold the furniture down. Several have, as already mentioned, just set them in place. One laid another piece of 1/2in wood on the floor inside and then placed the furniture on that. After watching it all, I would join the camp of set them in place and fugitaboutem.

But my curiosity wants to know, how is the original furniture secured to the floor, if it is at all.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #9
bobbecky

Our rig came with swivel recliners at the rear, and we've since replaced them with different swivel recliners, and with over 70,000 miles on this rig, they've never moved nor have they been anchored in place. They are on carpet which helps keep them in place, smooth flooring might be a different story.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:

Just saying ��
Well I agree with Javi! Our recliners were not bolted down, and we never strapped down. Couch in slide out was not attached to anything free to move. We also didn’t strap down our charges at the dining room table.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:47 AM   #11
Pull Toy

Plus 1 for Russ ^^^.

Dining room Chairs and recliners have traveled "loose" for 8 years now with no issues. I have even put my bar stools on the couch, and found them right where I left them. I have however, needed to secure cabinet doors, and obviously take stuff off of counters.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:53 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:

Just saying ��
As an addendum... The two recliners in my previous Cougar were not secured either and survived 6 years and 10,791 miles without moving.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:57 AM   #13
Camping family

This is what I like about everyone here. Can always find good info. I’m getting ready to change out the seating in mine and replace with two new regular recliners and was thinking about the same thing. Now I know just put them in.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:41 AM   #14
ChuckS

The less holes you put in things the better off you will be.. In eight years with this fifth wheel the two recliners have never been an issue.. they are not secured to anything and I travel on forest roads and same rough roads here in the west. wife places a small throw rug between the two recliners so they dont chaff against each other and the metal table she has between them

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

We have theater seating (2 recliners side by side with a console) in this trailer. They are screwed to the floor of the slide with screws approx. 1" long as I recall. That said, in previous trailers the recliners were not attached and for that matter we didn't even strap down the kitchen table chairs; nary a problem in thousands of miles on our great highways and byways. I wouldn't worry about attaching them until it proved to be a problem, which I doubt.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

The rocker recliners in our Springdale had to be moved from "camping position" to "travel position" to get the slide closed. There was no way to "screw them in place" without having to "unscrew them to travel'....

The rocker recliners in our Cougar are "sat in place to travel" and "moved out a bit to recline while camped"...

There are two "rings screwed to the top of the carpeted floor" that are intended to be used to "strap the recliners in place during travel".

We used the straps the first couple of trips, then DW suggested, "Why don't we see if them move without being tied down"... I completely agreed (saved me more time and effort) and they didn't move. Since then (almost 7 years of travel) they haven't moved from where we put them and honestly, I don't have a clue where the straps might have gone or if they might even had "dry rotted" by now.... If I find them, I'll let you know

Here's a strap like what is in our Cougar. They're available on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Furnit...19324612&psc=1 for about $10 each. But, if I could find ours, you'd be welcome to them if they are still even in one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RECPRO FURNITURE STRAP.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	33099  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #17
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The rocker recliners in our Springdale had to be moved from "camping position" to "travel position" to get the slide closed. There was no way to "screw them in place" without having to "unscrew them to travel'....

The rocker recliners in our Cougar are "sat in place to travel" and "moved out a bit to recline while camped"...

There are two "rings screwed to the top of the carpeted floor" that are intended to be used to "strap the recliners in place during travel".

We used the straps the first couple of trips, then DW suggested, "Why don't we see if them move without being tied down"... I completely agreed (saved me more time and effort) and they didn't move. Since then (almost 7 years of travel) they haven't moved from where we put them and honestly, I don't have a clue where the straps might have gone or if they might even had "dry rotted" by now.... If I find them, I'll let you know

Here's a strap like what is in our Cougar. They're available on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Furnit...19324612&psc=1 for about $10 each. But, if I could find ours, you'd be welcome to them if they are still even in one piece.
Mine are like John describes. Have not anchored that strap in ever. starting our 6th season.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #18
rlh1957

Screw to floor if you don’t intend to move them around.
The slide out flooring is 5/8 to 3/4. You don’t need huge lag bolts! Probably just four 3/4” - 1” screws depending on chair frame you go through.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #19
BulletOwner1

We put a love seat in our slide on the Cougar. Doesn't move at all. We did have a Bullet with chairs at the rear. They did move around but came with straps which helped.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
This is what I like about everyone here. Can always find good info. I’m getting ready to change out the seating in mine and replace with two new regular recliners and was thinking about the same thing. Now I know just put them in.
In our last year with our old TT, DW prevailed upon me to remove the jackknife couch (which both of us hated) and install two domestic La-Z-Boys she found for a song, that fit the cavity. We couldn't bolt them down because they were non-zero-clearance mechanisms, so we had to scoot them out to recline. I did install strap anchors (non-Darco slide) for travel, and (as always) got criticized for "always having to nuclear harden everything." DW was correct, the recliners didn't visibly budge over four weeks of road travel.

Tags
slideout