Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
elderhutch

electric heat?

i am a new live in rv person.
Propane in this area is $5.50 per unit now.
am trying to figure out if my 2005 keystone challenger has an electric based heat source; or is only propane based heating? cannot make sense of very basic owner manual[?], and all of my experimenting is leaving me feeling awfully frustrated, to say the least.
if anyone can be of help, i would be most thank full? also, does keystone make the challenger brand? very hard to find anything concerning this model. thank you for any input.
elderhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

elderhutch -
Your Hot Water heater will run on both electricity and propane but the furnace only operates on gas. On our Cougar, there is a switch located in the exterior HW panel/compartment that has two positions - ON and OFF. The small, black rocker switch is located near the bottom left-hand corner of the tank. It may be in the OFF position so that is why you are not able to heat the tank with electricity. The tank, BTW, will operate on both gas and electricity at the same time.

If you want "furnace" heating, then it's either propane or nothing. You can always use one or two of the small, space-type heaters instead of using the propane furnace.

There is no owner's manual that is specific for your Challenger -- the manual is the same for all of Keystones' RVs.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
elderhutch

thanx

for your help; was hoping for some kind of source i was missing for heating the rv.
guess i wasn't clear with my question, my apologies. no problems with the water heater, was just hoping for a less costly way to heat rv, have been using portable heater but as you know....very limited ability to actually warm up something like this 5th wheel.
thanx again for your help.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderhutch View Post
for your help; was hoping for some kind of source i was missing for heating the rv.
guess i wasn't clear with my question, my apologies. no problems with the water heater, was just hoping for a less costly way to heat rv, have been using portable heater but as you know....very limited ability to actually warm up something like this 5th wheel.
thanx again for your help.
Heating these units is one thing, keeping that valuable heat inside is another issue (insulation). There are many threads out there identifying the various stickers on the sides of our units (Blizzard, Extreme, Polar ......) related to unit insulation packages. Some entertaining reading Consensus is that it is all "BULL" these units not manufactured for extended use in colder climates. There is also some very good information out there where members have taken it on their own to insulate their units. Also some entertaining reading such as one member stating " POLAR LABEL DID NOT LAST THE COLD WEATHER (fell off side of unit)"
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Pmedic4

About heating your RV

Look around for lots of other information regarding heating your RV. Small space heaters don't really do all that well. The power coming into your RV is probably all on one electrical circuit, so you could probably only have 1 1500 watt heater without tripping the breaker. Some are more fortunate, and they can have 2+ heaters, so it depends. Another negative part of space heaters(besides a fire risk), is that it doesn't heat the lower parts of your RV so your water lines may freeze.

You can buy a AC/Heat Pump combination unit to replace your AC, depending upon size for about $1000. Nice thing of this is it ties into your furnance, so when it is too cold for the Heat Pump, the furnace kicks in.

Also, some people have found you can also run a power cord directly from the electrical post, avoiding those internal electrical limitations.

Stay warm!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
elderhutch

thanx

again for the helpfull information guys.
retired, on a very limited income, so....guess i'll have to live with it.
it's reassuring to have some place like this questions/help.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Unfortunately the best way to heat with electricity is also expensive to set up, as already mentioned an AC with heat pump, the other option that can help is an electric fireplace. The combination of the two will keep an RV warm even below freezing. Have to do a lot of camping to get the return on your investment in propane savings. Probably not worth it. I will say the fireplace is a very nice touch for adding comfort and atmosphere. We love ours.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Unfortunately the best way to heat with electricity is also expensive to set up, as already mentioned an AC with heat pump, the other option that can help is an electric fireplace. The combination of the two will keep an RV warm even below freezing. Have to do a lot of camping to get the return on your investment in propane savings. Probably not worth it. I will say the fireplace is a very nice touch for adding comfort and atmosphere. We love ours.
What is the rating of your fire place (Watts/BTU)?

Thanks

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
BulletOwner1

Unfortunately heating an RV is going to be expensive regardless of the heat source. If your stay is long at most parks they charge for electricity, and their rates aren't a bargain either. When we are in cold weather we combine the furnace with a space heater keeping in mind that the furnace needs to be on to heat the tanks. When that is not an issue we mostly heat with the electric heat. BUT, when we leave the RV the electric goes off for safety reasons.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
Unfortunately heating an RV is going to be expensive regardless of the heat source. If your stay is long at most parks they charge for electricity, and their rates aren't a bargain either. When we are in cold weather we combine the furnace with a space heater keeping in mind that the furnace needs to be on to heat the tanks. When that is not an issue we mostly heat with the electric heat. BUT, when we leave the RV the electric goes off for safety reasons.
X2 To keep the floors warm and keep some heat around pipes/tanks think furnace is only option that I can see. Fireplaces and the small heaters (mine 5600 BTU) or even Heat pumps will not provide heat underneath. I guess we have to pay to play

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Our fireplace is 5000 BTU, works great to heat/take the chill off of the living room/kitchen area.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #12
Road-King

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Fireplaces and the small heaters (mine 5600 BTU) or even Heat pumps will not provide heat underneath. I guess we have to pay to play
Is there an option to turn the furnace circulation fan on with the fireplace and/or a space heater on? This would be a easy mod (I would think) for someone who camps in cold weather often.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
Is there an option to turn the furnace circulation fan on with the fireplace and/or a space heater on? This would be a easy mod (I would think) for someone who camps in cold weather often.
RUSS, Congrats no your new Alpine Interesting 2015 model out already? We ar,e all somewhat in the same boat, you are waiting delivery and many of us waiting to dewinterize same end result NO CAMPING

Now, blowers on furnace is 12VDC not sure if desigbed to run constantly?? As far as I can see no switch to turn blowers on manually. From what I have read, not really a closed system in your house, ie although I have a single opening under the steps to the belly where furnace is, furnace intake is open ended in the belly. Do not think blower by it self will circulate enough air from cabin to underbelly to be effective. Heated air will be near ceiling with this single opening near floor.
For me given to limited time I have spent camping in 20-30 degree weather, I have been comfortable running furnace on 68 closing off portion of bedroom and bathroom. Registers, running ceiling paddle fan on low pushing heated air down and placing my small 5600 BTU HEATER/Air cleaner near open door to garage. Furnace did not run much

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)