Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2023, 05:31 AM   #1
drrelli

Kitchen sink drain diverter—good or bad idea?

Here are the current details:
2023 Hideout 25RDS. Kitchen sink and toilet both drain to black tank. Bathroom sink and shower both drain to grey tank. Shower pan has an access panel to get to its p-trap, and there is enough space to run a drain line under the shower pan to link up the kitchen sink drain to the shower’s drain line down line from the shower’s p-trap.

Here is the situation:
I don’t like losing black tank capacity for kitchen sink water.

Here are two options:
1. Cap off the kitchen sink drainpipe at the wall and run a new pipe under the sink, through the wall, under the shower, then into the grey drain line past the shower p-trap.
2. Install a 1.5inch 3-way diverter valve ( link: Pentair 263037 3-Way PVC 1-1/2 inch (2 inch slip outside) Pool And Spa Diverter Valve https://a.co/d/glz61AM )under the sink after the p-trap. Normal configuration would be sink->grey, but if needed could be switched to sink->black.

Has anyone done something like this? What bad things am I missing by not thinking through this?
drrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:36 AM   #2
jxnbbl

Just curious of why? For us, the gray tank is the one that really needs to be "dumped" more often so why fill it up quicker. The only thing I can think of are the areas that have "gray water only" hookups...it would be useful.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:57 AM   #3
drrelli

Probably because on our first trip, we were out for a week and couldn’t figure out why our black tank filled up so quickly. We stopped using all water in the bathroom except for nighttime bathroom breaks, and moved all hand washing and teeth brushing to the kitchen, and still the black kept filling. Tested it at the dump station and discovered the kitchen->black setup.

On our most recent trip, the black again filled up really quickly, this time with minimal additions from the toilet.

Part of me wonders if this isn’t just a poorly installed set of sensors in the tank. Maybe before I change anything, I’ll drop the coroplast and look at the sensor layout.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:10 AM   #4
Camping family

My guess is the sensors they are never correct. After you dump your tanks check and see what the sensors read. Mine never show empty anymore.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:48 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Are we missing something? In your description in your first post you indicate you have one black tank and one gray tank; kitchen sink and toilet to black and bathroom sink and shower to gray. I believe that's wrong. What are you doing with the 2nd gray tank? Note the specs for your trailer in the link below;

https://www.keystonerv.com/product/c...oorplans/25RDS

The spec for gray water is 60 gal. which will be 2 30gal. tanks. Your scenario is forgetting the 2nd tank...is that your problem?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:52 AM   #6
drrelli

Nope. It’s a Hideout, not a Cougar. Only 39 gal grey and 30 gal black. Only one of each tank.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:59 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Right you are. Guess I saw the 25RDS and thought Cougar since I'm more familiar with them. Sorry. Back to our regular programming...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:04 AM   #8
drrelli

(You had me second-guessing for a moment!)
drrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:03 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrelli View Post
Nope. It’s a Hideout, not a Cougar. Only 39 gal grey and 30 gal black. Only one of each tank.
. How many gal is the fresh water tank? Did you have to fill it during your week long trip? How are you washing dishes? If you let the water run the entire time you will use a lot of water, just like running water during showers. To conserve water take "Navy showers" (turn water off while soaping up) and turn water off when scrubbing dishes and when all dishes are scrubbed turn water on and rinse. Same theory with washing hands. Children especially can use a lot of water just holding their hands under running water.

. Our outside kitchen drains into the blank tank and it can fill it quickly if not paying attention. We typically on stay at full hook up sites but occasionally will stay at water & electric if it's only for a night or two.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:32 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrelli View Post
Probably because on our first trip, we were out for a week and couldn’t figure out why our black tank filled up so quickly. We stopped using all water in the bathroom except for nighttime bathroom breaks, and moved all hand washing and teeth brushing to the kitchen, and still the black kept filling. Tested it at the dump station and discovered the kitchen->black setup.

On our most recent trip, the black again filled up really quickly, this time with minimal additions from the toilet.

Part of me wonders if this isn’t just a poorly installed set of sensors in the tank. Maybe before I change anything, I’ll drop the coroplast and look at the sensor layout.
If your going by the sensors to indicate the black tank, especially the black tank, is full there's the issue. Those are notorious for being basically useless for any accurate tank levels. I definitely wouldn't spend the time & effort to drop the underbelly, unless it's to add some type of sensors, whatever they may be, that might actually give good accurate information, those won't regardless of what you do for more than a tank full or 2.
With only 2 waste tanks I can understand adding the kitchen to the black, it typically fills the slowest & oft times can/does smell as bad as the black tank from food particles washing into it. Also water is your friend in the black tank.
Personally I wouldn't do any replumbing, just learn the signal the toilet gives when the tank is nearing, yea it'll tell you, full & pay no attention to the sensors. Oh! You'll know when the grey is full also & not using the sensors, typically about about the time the wife, or usually you, is all lathered up it'll start backing up in the shower, so be sure to show the family how to go out drain it when it's you in there.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:40 AM   #11
mike95776

I have the same tank set up... one grey and one black. The only thing that goes into the black is the toilet... I would switch that kitchen to grey. Like others have mentioned our grey water does fill quickly but we have a portable tank that I used to drain the grey water and take to the dump station or bathroom. I don't /won't use that tank on black water... (uck). The other option for limiting grey water storage is to use the outside shower to wash dishes (like we use to do when tent camping)...
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:05 AM   #12
spicercars

If it will make your life easier then I say switch it.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:52 AM   #13
drrelli

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! Our next few trips are full hookups, so this won’t be an issue, but we do a fair amount of state park camping here in Indiana, which means no water/sewer hookups. We will run through a trip or two and then decide if things are ok or need changing.

Tags
drain, sink