Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2023, 06:30 AM   #1
Hankster

Part time solar set up questions

Looking for input on solar panel kit. Would prefer one that we can take out of storage, and deploy as needed.
Its just the wife and I and occasionally we boondock for the weekend. Lately by Sunday afternoon the batteries have gone down to where the water pump stops working. I'm interested in getting a small solar set up just to keep the batteries from going completely dead. All we use is the water pump, and led lights. We run the fridge on Propane while boondocking. I know it's probably time to replace the original 5 yr old batteries( camper was bought new in 2018).

Was looking at this 200w kit on Amazon, thinking the 2 panels could be connected via a set of hinges and set up with a prop to achieve a better angle to the sun as needed.
Topsolar Solar Panel Kit 200(2*100W) Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Off Grid System for Homes RV Boat + 20A 12V/24V Solar Charge Controller + Solar Cables + Z-Brackets for Mounting https://a.co/d/9MbEJct
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:41 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have the solar port on the side of the trailer, then pretty much any portable system will work. You just need to verify the polarity of the plug and that it is hooked up to the batteries. Or just connect directly to the batteries

FWIW the fridge needs 12VDC to operate the controls and will quit if the voltage gets low enough.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:07 AM   #3
Hankster

Thank you,I was concerned about that as last evening the light in the refrigerator started flashing when the door was opened. And that's good to know It is solar equipped.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:26 AM   #4
peanut

You don't even need a solar connection on the trailer. Having one is nice and makes for a neater, simpler set up, that's all. If equipped, you need to verify that the connection goes straight to the battery and what the polarity is.

You can connect directly to the battery/battery bank with alligator clips with no need for a connector on the trailer if needed.
Ready made kits already have the hinges, adjustable stands, etc. and are all over.
Here's an off-brand on Amazon that would suit:
https://www.amazon.com/DOKIO-Monocry...n%2C147&sr=1-4
Here's a name-brand with (arguably) better components:
https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-v...d126db8a&gad=1
(Note that both of these come with alligator clips. You would need to splice in the appropriate connector to use the trailer's connector)

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
WJQ

Need a charge controller

My reply is for folks who are new to solar. Solar panes generally put out 18 to 20-volt power. A large panel can put out more -- my panel operates at 33 volts.

You cannot hook solar panels directly to batteries. You need a charge controller that reduces the panel voltage to the charge voltage of 14 to 15 volts -- depending on the battery type.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar