Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2023, 06:43 AM   #1
Bandito

Slideout Awnings, Yes or No?

Greetings fellow campers!

We just purchased a Cougar 33RLI travel trailer that has 3 slideouts on it. This is our first trailer with slideouts and I’m wondering what you think about having slideout awnings, the covers specifically for the slideout itself. Are they really beneficial or just something else to spend some money on? Are there any real downsides to having them? I’ve read that they can flap around in strong winds, but other than that I haven’t seen any real negatives.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #2
Lee

Hi and welcome to the site.

Slideout awning are the Ford vs Chevy of the RV world.

Some swear by them and some hate them.

Personally I wouldn't do without mine as it helps keep debris off the slideout roof that needs to be removed before bringing in the slideout. Also, helps keep roof cool from the hot sun.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:09 AM   #3
LHaven

My last rig came with one, my Keystone didn't. I spent two weeks camping in NH in 2019 and didn't get the last pine needle off my slide roof until last year (when I took the top valance off inside to reattach a slide cable). Didn't have a brush or ladder at the time, they got under the wipe when I closed it, and there you go.

I find it a lot easier to clean the slide roof without one, and especially to lube the top wipe, but I do think the slide runs hotter in the summer.

By a small margin I'd probably prefer the awning, but not enough to expend the money or effort to add one now.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:15 AM   #4
notanlines

“By a small margin I'd probably prefer the awning, but not enough to expend the money or effort to add one now.”
What he^^^^said. Noisy in the wind, collect a LOT of water in the rain, but no cleaning the tops of the slide to speak of.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:17 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^What they said. A big part of it depends on where you camp. The more debris you get on the slide tops the more they are worth the cost. If you park in the desert all the time they don't do much good.

I spent 3 winters under a pine tree that covered my slide tops. I carried a ladder, blower, brush etc. and had to clean them off every few weeks and they still were a mess requiring a good cleanup when I got back. Put them on this one then we chose a different site; not pine tree directly over us and nothing on the slide tops. They whap in the wind, hold water and stretch and eliminate the ability to treat the top slide seal. They possibly keep the slide top cooler but since they are already white I doubt they do much good and we can't really tell any difference inside. They do keep random debris off so that's a plus.

In the end by a tiny margin I would keep them but it's close....they cost quite a bit to have installed. I don't have to climb that ladder, swing that blower, push the broom or scrub the roof like I used to so....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:19 AM   #6
Neo1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi and welcome to the site.

Slideout awning are the Ford vs Chevy of the RV world.

Some swear by them and some hate them.

Personally I wouldn't do without mine as it helps keep debris off the slideout roof that needs to be removed before bringing in the slideout. Also, helps keep roof cool from the hot sun.

Us PNW'ers and our trees, we NEED some sort of protection. (I'm in Rochester, BTW.)

If you're in an area that has a lot of trees and whatnot, I'd say it's worth it.

If you live in an area that lacks vegetation OR has a lot of constant high winds, like in the mid-west, I say go without.

2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
2022 Keystone Outback 291UBH
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:33 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I place a LOT of value in this guy and what he says. He works for an RV dealership in Michigan and puts these videos out. But he always presents a profound argument. Watch this video and draw your own conclusions. I think this is one of the better videos that address some things you need to consider. Of course, the choice is yours. But knowing what the strengths and weakness are, if you decide to go forward, will better prepare you and equip you in handling everything well.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:45 AM   #8
Bandito

Thanks everyone very much for your almost instantaneous advice! It is very much appreciated.

@dutchmensport, I really appreciate the video. I have been watching some of Josh’s (I believe that’s his name) videos during my purchase process and didn’t think to check and see if he had one for slide toppers. You’re right in that he is very good at covering all the pros and cons.

We typically camp in areas with trees, so I am leaning towards adding the toppers, but I think that I will see how things go over our first few trips that then make a decision.

Thank you all again!
Old 05-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #9
Jonahex2099

We had one installed when we bought our Passport....we're in the pnw, our parking spot for our camper at home is below several large trees, and a lot of the places we camp have lots of trees around too - was a must have. Glad we had it installed.

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #10
peanut

We just finished our 2nd trip in the new fiver.
I ordered slide toppers as soon as we got home from that trip and will install them ASAP.
Here in the PNW (Oregon, specifically) most all of our campsites are in wooded areas.
Two times climbing a ladder and trying to clean the tops of the two slides before retracting them to come home has convinced me that they will be worth it. The amount of crap on the slide tops after just 4-5 days was amazing.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:12 PM   #11
Bill-2020

For us (most outings are FL, GA) -

1. Tree debris is a big thing for us, toppers keep it off.

2. Most of the pollen also stays off and therefore doesn't get pulled inside.

3. Helps with the heat from the sun

4. Rain collection on the deep slide is a bit of a problem at times. I have made a 5 foot PCV pole with a 45 degree elbow and another 3 foot PVC section. After a big rain I go out and put that PVC up under the topper and gently lift for a moment. The pooled water flows right off the opposite side and the topper self tightens back up.

I installed our toppers myself so costs were a lot lower than paying a dealership.

So I am a "pro-topper" RV owner - to make that long story short.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:14 PM   #12
Bandito

Thanks again, everyone!

I am definitely leaning towards adding them, but I don’t think I want to install them myself. I am very handy and can do most anything, but on a brand new expensive trailer I’m not sure that I want to mess with it too much.

The Cougar says it comes prepared for the toppers, but I really don’t know what that entails. I will be inquiring about that and a few other things at the dealer when we take delivery tomorrow.

Now, for another question. It appears that there are two main types of awning fabric: Vinyl and Acrylic. Does anyone know if one is significantly better than the other?

Finally, I noticed that some toppers actually live in a mostly enclosed tube and pull out from there where others simply roll the fabric up and leave it exposed. To me, the enclosed awnings seem like they would just get a lot of debris rolled into the enclosure so wouldn’t work as well as the ones that just roll up. At least when these are rolled up, the debris has a much better chance of falling off. And, of course, the fully enclosed awnings are quite a bit more money. Are there any more thoughts on these two options?
Old 05-24-2023, 12:37 AM   #13
LHaven

I had a very good experience with toughtopawnings.com. They use a high-quality vinyl, and their warranty is 5 year, "No Questions Asked" against manufacturer defects. They put me in touch with a local installer who did the topper job on my last rig. (In my case it was material only, as I already had the hardware under a ripped factory fabric, but they do the whole job if you need it.) Their website contains a list of all the installers in each state, and many of them are mobile.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:43 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

If your trailers comes prepped for toppers, then that will probably dictate what brand you can install. Dometic and Carefree mounting are different and not interchangeable that I’m aware of.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:51 AM   #15
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito View Post
Greetings fellow campers!

We just purchased a Cougar 33RLI travel trailer that has 3 slideouts on it. This is our first trailer with slideouts and I’m wondering what you think about having slideout awnings, the covers specifically for the slideout itself. Are they really beneficial or just something else to spend some money on? Are there any real downsides to having them? I’ve read that they can flap around in strong winds, but other than that I haven’t seen any real negatives.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!
I just installed one (Lippert Solera 5000 - 12'6"), and I'm glad I did it. I worry a lot less about water and leaves on my slideout. It was around $500 and took an hour to install.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:55 AM   #16
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito View Post
Thanks again, everyone!

I am definitely leaning towards adding them, but I don’t think I want to install them myself. I am very handy and can do most anything, but on a brand new expensive trailer I’m not sure that I want to mess with it too much.

The Cougar says it comes prepared for the toppers, but I really don’t know what that entails. I will be inquiring about that and a few other things at the dealer when we take delivery tomorrow.

Now, for another question. It appears that there are two main types of awning fabric: Vinyl and Acrylic. Does anyone know if one is significantly better than the other?

Finally, I noticed that some toppers actually live in a mostly enclosed tube and pull out from there where others simply roll the fabric up and leave it exposed. To me, the enclosed awnings seem like they would just get a lot of debris rolled into the enclosure so wouldn’t work as well as the ones that just roll up. At least when these are rolled up, the debris has a much better chance of falling off. And, of course, the fully enclosed awnings are quite a bit more money. Are there any more thoughts on these two options?
If you're handy with basic tools and hung a picture on the wall, you should be able to install these. Smaller ones could be done with one person altogether, but 8-12' toppers, you'll need a second person to install the actual topper tube. All the brackets are done with one person, primarily.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:39 PM   #17
Bandito

Good stuff. Thanks, everyone!
Old 05-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #18
flookk

We mostly camp in the trees at Provincial (State) Parks or Conservation areas. The amount of debris that falls off the trees and onto the top of my slide is amazing.

The first trailer I owned with a slide did not have slide toppers and I used to climb up either a ladder or get onto the bed of my truck to try to clear the debris before retracting it. Evergreen needles, maple keys etc. tend to stick to the roof and are shortening the life of all the top seals (there are 3) as the slide goes in and out.

As far as maintaining the top wipe seal it is very easy to extend the slide, insert an allen key or similar tool into the slots on each end to prevent the spring from retracting, undo a couple of screws and flop the awning back onto the RV roof for slide top and seal maintenenace.

My slide topper does collect a certain amount of water when it rains but I find if I just retract the slide 4" or 5" the water runs off on its own.

I use a broom from the ground to brush off any debris that is clinging to the topper as it is slowly retracted by DW.

I wouldn't go back to not having one.
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:22 AM   #19
GlasNav

We travel and camp during all seasons, including snow and ice. If you intend to do the same, slide awnings are a must. Otherwise you will experience an ice dam or snow blockage inhibiting the slide to come home.
The first morning with slide awnings after snow or ice and closing up to get on the road will be a happy moment when the accumulation simply rolls off the end of the awning...
You may still need to brush out or if warm enough wash out any accumulation beneath the awning if there was any drifting.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:32 AM   #20
DarkElf

We camp in NH under a large spruce tree that constantly sheds it's needles. I used to have to climb up onto the roof of our Grand Design Solitude after every stay to sweep the slide-outs every trip. I have three slide-outs.
I installed awnings on all three and no longer have to climb up there to sweep at the end of our stays.
I love my awnings.
DarkElf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide, slideout