Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2023, 06:27 AM   #1
Neo1130

Trust no one... Not even the dealer OR the manufacturer

So little rant here.

Purchased a 2022 Outback 291UBH a couple months back and it didn't come with a rear ladder installed. (Yes it's ladder prepped and yes, I know the collapsible ladders would be better, for some people, but not me)

Ladder was put on order by the dealer and took over a month to come in. Dealer wants it for 2 weeks BUT we cannot afford to do that because we are temporarily living in it.

I decided to take it home and do it myself. No biggie, just a few screws right?

Well, I open the thing up and it's for the left side. Do a quick mock up and see where all the mounts would go. First thing, the 50A input to the trailer sits RIGHT where the bottom rung goes. So figured I could get by with a right angle 50A adapter.

Next step was going through where the mounts would go. Busted out the trusty stud finder... NOTHING... I mean, I found where the rear studs are but there is ZERO backing for the ladder. Checked the right side and easily found them both.

Contacted Keystone and they claim it's on the left and ALWAYS on the left for my model. However, online I am finding MANY photos with them on the left AND right. So appears I got the right hand side ladder prep (where the ladder prep sticker also is.)

Both the dealership AND Keystone are saying there is no way it can be on the right, so i took a borescope up the the entire wall to the roof and found NOTHING in there. Not even insulation. But since that section is behind a cabinet, I really don't think it's a HUGE deal. The other side does have insulation.

So, now they will not let me return the ladder since they cannot comprehend the prep being on the right side, even though I showed them photos online. They said those are aftermarket ladders and probably installed by the owners. (Yep, by the owners straight from the dealer lot.)

I am finding that the right hand side ladders are on back-order, so may be time for me to just get a universal.

So, when I have previously posted WHY I don't trust anyone to work on my stuff, this is a prime example.

Reason I won't do a folding or collapsible ladder is because I'm not very stable on one due to my back and hip injury. I also cannot have someone constantly holding the ladder during setup and tear-down at a campsite, so having one installed to the RV is my only go to.

2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
2022 Keystone Outback 291UBH
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:41 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

I feel for your med issues but the 12' extending ladder is a WHOLE LOT MORE stable than trying to play spiderman and crawl up an RV ladder. I put my 12' ladder OVER the RV ladder for extra stability. I wouldn't consider trying to go up my RV ladder as I put all new anchoring in for it when I got it and know how little there is to hold it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:58 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

It is not unusual for the same models coming off the line (even the same day/week) being different. There was also a period of time that Keystone said they were going to cease adding ladders at all. Buying an RV built in the “Covid Era” is a crap-shoot.

We have been trailer shopping and have seen many differences between exact models, based solely on the manufacturing date. One manufacturer we looked at doesn’t offer a ladder but does have a bracket on the rear wall to secure the top of a telescoping ladder. Look up Lippert On-The-Go Ladder with ladder receiver. No need to have someone holding it while you climb.

For what it’s worth, without knowing exactly where the backing supports for the ladder are, or if they are even there in the first place, I wouldn’t bother. If you install that ladder yourself and ANYTHING happens to the roof or rear wall, it’s going to be on you. They abide by the disclaimer that materials and specifications are subject to change without notice. They can simply say that your particular unit was never intended to have a ladder on the day it was built. I am not saying it is right, but pick your battles. A telescoping ladder is so much better anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1042.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	43924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1043.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	43925  
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

JMO but a factory installed ladder is a waste of space. They certainly aren't durable and are more of a way to cause damage to either you or the trailer than anything else. The ONLY good thing about them is they provide me an elevated handle when I put my other ladder next to it to provide a bit better security getting onto the roof. Other than that...some people attach things to them but I won't, I've seen how weak those mountings are.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:13 PM   #5
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
JMO but a factory installed ladder is a waste of space. They certainly aren't durable and are more of a way to cause damage to either you or the trailer than anything else. The ONLY good thing about them is they provide me an elevated handle when I put my other ladder next to it to provide a bit better security getting onto the roof. Other than that...some people attach things to them but I won't, I've seen how weak those mountings are.
Mine did not inspire confidence when I grabbed it and pulled my 240 lb. frame onto the first wrung! No. Not gonna try it! I don't bounce like I used to.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote