Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #1
Neo1130

Dimmer switch for RV lighting

So I have been on an absolute trip lately doing a ton of modifications and upgrades to the trailer this past month.

Next up, I ordered some dimmer switches for the main lighting areas, dining, bedroom, living area. Our 291UBH has the LED puck lights all over except the dining area which I am installing pendant lighting in shortly, which those are proprietary Edison bulbs (12V with bayonet bases) and are marketed as dimmable. What are the chances the 12V pucks are dimmable? I'd rather not upgrade unless I have to but I guess I won't know until I get the dimmers installed I guess.

Anyone else do this? Reason being, I have pretty light sensitive and don't like how bright they are, especially at night. I've already had a few instances of optical migraines due to bright lights and it's absolutely no fun going blind for 30-45 minutes. Last two times it happened I was on the freeway and was NOT fun trying to merge into the next lane to pull off the road, not knowing what is there.

2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
2022 Keystone Outback 291UBH
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:02 PM   #2
LHaven

A few considerations.

First off, don't try to add dimmers to any lights controlled by inCommand (don't know which of yours may be). The results will not be what you expect.

Can't tell if the pucks in your rig are dimmable without a model number, or just trying one on a dimmer (not a hard experiment, just remove, test, and replace). I will say in my rig, I'm pretty sure all the pucks are the same model, and Keystone already installed a dimmer on the ones in the dining/recliner slideout, so I know they all would work... except that the others are on inCommand, so no point in it.

A few of our pucks have center buttons instead of wall switches (sink, overbed). We replaced our overbed puck with a button-dimmable puck [LINK] because it was just way too bright. The 'warm white" light color I guessed at doesn't match the others, but the warmer color is kinder to a partner trying to sleep.

(Amazon assures me this link is to the unit I bought, but the "blue light" feature is one I guarantee that my model doesn't have. I wouldn't mind trying it, though.)

Finally, I did add some dimming LED lights to the unlit storage area behind the TV, only to find out when I was done that the dimmer switch sends buzz into the stereo speaker system. The switch *looks* identical to the factory switch on the slide lighting, but either it isn't, or the proximity of the new switch to the radio on the same 12V circuit made a difference. Check your sound out before you commit to an installation.
Old 05-04-2023, 05:42 AM   #3
Neo1130

Thanks for the tips. I am not running inCommand so I'm good on that front...

I would THINK that most LED pucks are dimmable these days and it would be great if Keystone just purchased them all in bulk and installed them regardless of factory dimmers or not.

The only ones that are not on a master switch are the under cabinet lights in the kitchen and the reading lights above our couch. Other than that, they are all driven by a switch.

I'm not sure if I want to wire it to be an independent switch so that way its on/off/dim OR piggy back off the factory switch so that I can turn them on at the same intensity as when I shut them off. Probably the latter.

Good call on the noise induction. Back when LED bulbs first started coming out for travel trailers, I bought a nice and bright one for my fan hood in the kitchen. When on, I would lose TV signal. Couple years later, they came out with a noise free one which fixed that.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:52 AM   #4
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
So I have been on an absolute trip lately doing a ton of modifications and upgrades to the trailer this past month.

Next up, I ordered some dimmer switches for the main lighting areas, dining, bedroom, living area. Our 291UBH has the LED puck lights all over except the dining area which I am installing pendant lighting in shortly, which those are proprietary Edison bulbs (12V with bayonet bases) and are marketed as dimmable. What are the chances the 12V pucks are dimmable? I'd rather not upgrade unless I have to but I guess I won't know until I get the dimmers installed I guess.

Anyone else do this? Reason being, I have pretty light sensitive and don't like how bright they are, especially at night. I've already had a few instances of optical migraines due to bright lights and it's absolutely no fun going blind for 30-45 minutes. Last two times it happened I was on the freeway and was NOT fun trying to merge into the next lane to pull off the road, not knowing what is there.
I installed variable color LED rope lighting in several places in the living area, which not only creates an ambience, but also provides adequate illumination to safely walk around. There are only briefs moments that I require the overhead light on. I prefer it dim in my coach too.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:58 AM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
I would THINK that most LED pucks are dimmable these days and it would be great if Keystone just purchased them all in bulk and installed them regardless of factory dimmers or not.
I'm not sure if I want to wire it to be an independent switch so that way its on/off/dim OR piggy back off the factory switch so that I can turn them on at the same intensity as when I shut them off. Probably the latter.
Certainly Keystone does buy them in bulk, but if they run out and there is a supply chain issue, they happily substitute entirely different models of almost anything just to keep the line running... so it's best to make sure.

The dimmer I bought for my project [LINK] appears to be identical to the factory dimmer on my slide, and has the property that it comes on at whatever intensity you last shut it off, so there is no reason to cascade the switches, just replace them.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:03 AM   #6
Neo1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
I installed variable color LED rope lighting in several places in the living area, which not only creates an ambience, but also provides adequate illumination to safely walk around. There are only briefs moments that I require the overhead light on. I prefer it dim in my coach too.

I am going to be doing this for our walk in pantry but need to find out how I am going to do the switch and where to pull power from. Want to have it on a 12V circuit so they can be lit when not hooked up to shore power... So I may pull off of the fridge or furnace circuit.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:05 AM   #7
Neo1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Certainly Keystone does buy them in bulk, but if they run out and there is a supply chain issue, they happily substitute entirely different models of almost anything just to keep the line running... so it's best to make sure.

The dimmer I bought for my project [LINK] appears to be identical to the factory dimmer on my slide, and has the property that it comes on at whatever intensity you last shut it off, so there is no reason to cascade the switches, just replace them.

I got dial switches (potentiometer) for mine. I almost got the ones you linked but I'm not a fan of the touch switches. Most are too finicky for my liking. Plus the green LED isn't something I like.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:26 AM   #8
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
I am going to be doing this for our walk in pantry but need to find out how I am going to do the switch and where to pull power from. Want to have it on a 12V circuit so they can be lit when not hooked up to shore power... So I may pull off of the fridge or furnace circuit.
I was able to add 12 vdc blue light strips under both entrance steps to assist with seeing at night, while not blinding my neighbors. I just removed the existing yellow fixture and used high quality tape and clear sealant to secure.
Another idea is to acquire a color film, similar to what stage lights use, to dim your selected puck lights to any color of choice if you can't find the 12 vdc you want.
I just order blue film for my porch light, and will try it on the puck lights to see what happens.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:51 AM   #9
LHaven

Quote:
Plus the green LED isn't something I like.
I had to look again, plus check my rig. My LED is white, like the factory. That's twice this week I caught Amazon giving me links to "stuff you bought before" that is different or changed from the thing I bought.

As for the pantry, truth to tell, if I had to do my wiring job over again, I wouldn't. I found some stick-on battery pucks [LINK] that are motion and dark sensitive, and used those for my small (but deep) pantry shelves and cabinets. At $2/pop, they were a lot less trouble all around and plenty bright for what I needed.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:17 AM   #10
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I had to look again, plus check my rig. My LED is white, like the factory. That's twice this week I caught Amazon giving me links to "stuff you bought before" that is different or changed from the thing I bought.

As for the pantry, truth to tell, if I had to do my wiring job over again, I wouldn't. I found some stick-on battery pucks [LINK] that are motion and dark sensitive, and used those for my small (but deep) pantry shelves and cabinets. At $2/pop, they were a lot less trouble all around and plenty bright for what I needed.
I have also added the portable puck lights in my pantry (4). Just have to remember to occasionally check the AAA batteries for corrosion. Looking at my mods to date, I believe I have a light obsession, and I don't mind. My RV is capable of being lit up like a christmas tree. To each their own...
Old 05-14-2023, 09:34 AM   #11
rlh1957

Quote:

You have to be certain the LED’s are dimmable. Maybe they are, maybe not.
If your puck lights are on three way switches (turn on from more than place) dimmable solution is harder and more involved, especially if it goes through a darned inCommand system.

I hated the bright LED lights so I got individual LED pucks with center on/off switch that also dims. I control not only what light is on, but how intensely it is. I have a long dowel with rubber tip for those high up lights.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light